It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand grenades being used on border. Is it terrorism NOW Mr. Obama?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hand grenades becoming key weapon in Mexican cartels' arsenals, say authorities

Mexican drug cartels, whose trafficking efforts into the U.S. have grown bolder amid the border crisis, are increasingly utilizing a frightening weapon in their arsenal: the hand grenade. Whether packed with explosives, hollowed out and filled with steel to give them authentic heft or even used to deliver handwritten death threats, grenades are turning up in greater frequency in encounters with suspected cartel members, according to law enforcement authorities and border experts. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials confirmed to FoxNews.com that they’ve seen a “trend increase” involving the devices along the entire southwest border, although details were not disclosed due to ongoing investigations. “The reason you’re seeing so many more [grenades] this year is because much more heavily-armed drug shipments are coming into the United States,” said James Phelps, an assistant professor in the Department of Security Studies and Criminal Justice at Angelo State University in Texas. “With Border Patrol so heavily distracted doing paperwork and watching the mass flood of people coming into the country, they don’t have as much time to do what they used to do — drug interdiction.”

This is frightening.US Border Patrol agents have the worst job in the world. Our southern border has become a war zone. Criminals don't tend to lob grenades at us from across our border and at our agents. Terrorists do this. Enemy invaders do this. It is time to deploy the military to our border and get this situation under control.

Link

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

You racist jerk. These grenade throwing CHILDREN are simply looking for the freedom America offers.

Stop hating on the CHILDREN!!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

You racist jerk. These grenade throwing CHILDREN are simply looking for the freedom America offers.

Stop hating on the CHILDREN!!!!

I would laugh if it weren't so true... sad narrative on the world we live in.

Edit to add: I lied. I laughed.

Pretty funny

edit on 14-8-2014 by madmac5150 because: Crabs gone wild! Film at 11!

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
So what part of America isn't a war zone?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

These are attacks by a foreign entity on our soil. The Mexican government is so damned corrupt from the top down, one could argue that this is State sponsored terrorism.

There was a time not so long ago that Hamas was lobbing grenades at Israel. What happens when terror groups start shipping rocket launchers to the cartels?

Opinion will shift really damned fast when rockets start raining down on cities like San Diego, Tucson and El Paso.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Wait. What sort of logic is this. The cartels are coming more heavily armed because their is less resistance? A few years ago when we only had 3000 border agents the cartels were no coming more heavily armed. Now we have 28,000 and lets us say 10,000 are distracted by children. (I know that is a huge exageration but, just for aurguments sake) that still means we have 15,000 more agents on the border then we did for most of the 90s and 2000s. So let us toss the entire idea that cartels are more heavily armed because their are less boreder agents.

So if this story is true. And it is a big if. Cartels being more heavily armed would of course be a response to the massive increas in the amoun Border Agents. That would be logical. Before the could more drugs and not have much to worry about now they do. That of course would mean that the more border security we add the more heavily armed the cartels will become to counter that. Although the bring most of that by air and boat so they could just go that way instead I suppose. In particular if we are wasting all out security on the southern border.

And as for the OP not that is not terrorism by any definition in the english language.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Hell...send the Ferguson Mo Police Dept down to the border. After the military might show they put on last night, they can trundle all that military gear down there and take care of keeping our border shut. Take all the trigger happy officers with them too.

Lord knows, they don't belong doing crowd control in Ferguson.

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I'd say it's time to deploy the military on just the ***south-side*** of the Mexican/US border. No point in allowing Obama to fully change the posse comitatus act for a few miles, right? Or better yet, send the police from Ferguson, they seem itching for a fight!

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/14.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

Hell...send the Ferguson Mo Police Dept down to the border. After the military might show they put on last night, they can trundle all that military gear down there and take care of keeping our border shut. Take all the trigger happy officers with them too.

Des

That's best idea I've heard in a long time. No lie. I would star you a thousand times if I could. It's too bad normal folks don't work for the government. You know.... the kind of folks that actually look to solve a problem and not make it bigger?

But you know that we can't use all of that equipment on those whom Pelosi refers to as "opportunities". We can only use that equipment on those that then must be known as a "crisis".

That's kind of an ugly thing when you say it out loud like that...

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

These are attacks by a foreign entity on our soil. The Mexican government is so damned corrupt from the top down, one could argue that this is State sponsored terrorism.

There was a time not so long ago that Hamas was lobbing grenades at Israel. What happens when terror groups start shipping rocket launchers to the cartels?

Opinion will shift really damned fast when rockets start raining down on cities like San Diego, Tucson and El Paso.

As long as we can have a couple of Israel's. I've seen
the A:B comparisons, and I think a re-tool is all good.
Wait, some of the good ones were ours in the first place.NM

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

I'd say it's time to deploy the military on just the ***south-side*** of the Mexican/US border. No point in allowing Obama to fully change the posse comitatus act for a few miles, right? Or better yet, send the police from Ferguson, they seem itching for a fight!

Cheers - Dave

Instead of retiring the A-10s from Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, use them as heavily armed flying border patrol agents. A 30mm round (or 80 per second) whizzing over the cartels heads will have them beating feet in a southward direction at the highest rate of speed possible...

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

Des

We don't want to ding up all that completely unused body armor
with shrapnel... it all looks so nice. /sarc off

It's more than just ironic isn't it, Des? Show up for a MO protest geared
up almost for El Alamein; while repeatedly hamstringing the Border Patrol
to the point of kamikazing them? Maybe we could just issue the
latter some real bullets; I hear the DHS has a few spare rounds.

It's a sorry lot we are, citizens being regarded as a lot bigger threat
to the national security than foreign invaders. It says everything.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
As a part of my job as a truck driver, I REGULARLY go to Laredo, TX(just one mile from the border) and can tell you that there is NO noticeable Texas National Guard presence there, there is no fighting....the people are friendly and the border traffic freely flows. At any given time, there are 12,000 trucks in Laredo, half of them are Mexican citizens bringing loads across the border for American carriers. There is no evidence of increased Border Patrol activity. Drunken Indian still takes twenty or more truck drivers per night into Mexico to "boy's town" and they all return safely every night. If this were an ORGANIZED attack, they would probably attack one of the busiest ports on the Mexican border....and they don't. I have been to McAllen, Laredo, and El Paso all in the last 10 days and have seen absolutely ZERO evidence of what is being reported here.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The children are a cover. While the country is distracted by "the poor children running from their war torn countries", literally MILLIONS of others are crossing over. Including rapists, murderers, etc. All you have to do is throw in the world "children", and what is tantamount to an INVASION becomes a "humanitarian crisis".

CLOSE the borders to EVERYONE. North, South, East, West. No one gets in. NO one. Let Mexico handle the "crisis".

Call me heartless.. I don't care. But this is an escalating situation that is getting no better. Time to put up or shut up.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just to cool the fires of nationalist outrage calling for more blood and violence...

If you equate the "drug lords" with the nation of Mexico and her citizens you should reconsider. I shouldn't have to tell you that organized criminal activity has no nationality, no border, and are as much a threat as any terrorists out there.

I strongly suspect that most cartel entities are as multinational as the transnational military contractors banks use to protect their agendas. I further suggest that the identification of various organized crime entities as Mexican, Italian, Jewish, or whatever is in great part a confidence scam carried out by a few in the woodwork who can "pay" their way...

Just think about how effectively the US government convinced America of the post-industrial age that organized crime was an "Italian" thing - never mind that there were almost as many damnable 'gangs' of criminals as their were types of citizens in the country.

Calling these cartel groups a "Mexican" anything is a trick of public relations... they are certainly not picky about where their "talent" comes from... including U.S. citizens, I bet.

Considering the almost undeniable lack of effort made by the authorities (either nation) to craft a solution to those fleeing (not to prosper..., but instead to live without fear.) Well, they have claimed to have been working on it... if you are inclined to believe that comic farce.

In the end, I fear, this will be resolved via yet another "show me the money" solutions... and we're buying.

edit on 14-8-2014 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

I starred your response, as you do make a decent argument... however, I lived in a border city (Tucson) for 8 years (2000s). I have seen the invasion first hand. Yes, I call it an invasion. The Sonoran Desert, a sensitve ecological area, has been under assault by millions of tons of dumped trash... including batteries, hazardous chemicals, human waste, etc. Dumped into sensitive watersheds... dumped into National Parks... dumped into areas with endangered desert tortoises... (where is Harry Reid's eco-millitia, the BLM?) It is an ecological disaster of epic proportion being covered up in the name of political correctness. Why has Greenpeace not gotten involved? Where is Al Gore's next cash cow of a movie?

Americans are dying in this border war, and it is ignored by the media in favor of the official narrative as handed to them by the same government that refuses to protect its own borders and citizens. It is appalling. How many more US Border Patrol agents have to die? How many more bombs have to go off on our soil before you get the picture?

I also lived in Phoenix in the mid 90s... so I witnessed the escalation over a period of 16 years. Arizona finally had enough and passed HB 1070 in an attempt to secure thier own state border... to do what the feds refuse to do and secure thier state border. They got railed in the media, and chastised as racists for not "playing ball".

Let's move Capitol Hill to Nogales, AZ for a month, so our leaders get a little perspective...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The cartels are about making money. The majority of the time they will not do anything to hurt US authorities, including border patrol agents, because they do not want to bring heat on themselves. They know that if they start waging war against the US government along the border that it will be much harder for them to get their product into the United States, meaning less money for them. Even if those doing the smuggling are more heavily armed, I would be willing to bet that conflict with border patrol agents has not increased in any significant way. The vast majority of smugglers will run away from border patrol agents. This happens the majority of the time. The vast majority of people bringing drugs into the US are unarmed as well.

There is a failure of logic here as well...If the agents do not have as much time to defend against drug imports as they used to, then would it not be easier for the cartels to bring drugs in? Since there aren't as many agents focusing on stopping them of course, as they're all busy with paperwork or whatever was mentioned. So why would the cartels be more heavily armed? And I believe that the majority of people bringing drugs over are not core cartel members anyway. They are just mules or workers, with no other cartel affiliation. They're just trying to make money.

I am not saying this is not a problem, but the idea of more heavily armed smugglers does not make sense to me.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

And more to the point, cartels can't expect that using grenades will affect their ability to enter the US. Their use of grenades, must be for the purpose of "escaping", which suggests that the border patrols are increasing their violence.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
This isn't terrorism, it's business.

The cartels only exist because of the failed drug war. If Americans didn't demand the cartels' products the cartels wouldn't exist.

The same sort of escalation of violence happened during prohibition. When that ended, it broke the mafia hold over distribution of booze.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn
a reply to: MrSpad

And more to the point, cartels can't expect that using grenades will affect their ability to enter the US. Their use of grenades, must be for the purpose of "escaping", which suggests that the border patrols are increasing their violence.

According to a story I heard recently on NPR, the border patrol agents have shot & killed multiple teenagers/children on the Mexican side of the border who were doing nothing more than playing. They were not attempting to cross the border and made no sign of it. I think much like the police in this nation, we have overly empowered the border patrol and they are abusing that power.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join