It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Definition of Martial Law, It's Not as Pleasant As You Think...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So I Thought I Would Inform Everyone What The Term Martial Law Means, & How Scary Bad This Is.
I Thought at First that Martial Law Meant Complete Chaos and Free From Laws for Everyone, But It Actually Give More Power to the Military & Government to Use Practically Any Type of Force Deemed Necessary to Restore Order. This Is Not Kool.

Link: Martial Law

From the Free Dictionary;

Martial Law
The exercise of government and control by military authorities over the civilian population of a designated territory.

Martial law is an extreme and rare measure used to control society during war or periods of civil unrest or chaos. According to the Supreme Court, the term martial law carries no precise meaning (Duncan v. Kahanamoku, 327 U.S. 304, 66 S. Ct. 606, 90 L. Ed. 688 [1946]). However, most declarations of martial law have some common features. Generally, the institution of martial law contemplates some use of military force. To a varying extent, depending on the martial law order, government military personnel have the authority to make and enforce civil and criminal laws. Certain civil liberties may be suspended, such as the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, freedom of association, and freedom of movement. And the writ of Habeas Corpus may be suspended (this writ allows persons who are unlawfully imprisoned to gain freedom through a court proceeding).

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Good call, given what's going on in Ferguson right now.

It's sad, but this will be the first time since 1961 that it's been declared on U.S. soil. :-/

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122
Jeb Bush declares martial law in Florida 4 days before September 11, 2001 here

edit on 14-8-2014 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

No, he didn't. The National Guard is the official militia of the sovereign State of Florida. As such, when called upon by the Governor to maintain order, their jurisdiction is supreme. This is not something which changed under this proclamation. It has been that way since the day Florida adopted its constitution. It's about "training to support law-enforcement personnel and emergency-management personnel", working with the police, not taking charge of them. And it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with martial law.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122
my bad, thanks for clearing that up

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I hope the military if called upon tell the gov to kiss there ass's and do not turn America in to a clone of a Mid East country

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Those that want big government intervention just might get their wish granted.

I'd laugh but this is getting sad and scary at the same time.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
We have at least one U.S. Congressman calling for Martial Law right now....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Anyone who thinks Martial Law is going to be "pleasant" don't know much about it.

You think the government has too much power now? just wait.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thefarmer
I hope the military if called upon tell the gov to kiss there ass's and do not turn America in to a clone of a Mid East country

Actually, It could be a great learning moment for any Americans who wish too learn, or is smart enough to pay attention.

Everyone wonders when the SHTF where the United States Military will stand. Will they stand up for citizens or kill them.

You may be able to get your answer here soon on a small scale.

If they do it there, they will do it everywhere.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mwood

I'm glad it didn't come to it myself. I think people associate what Martial Law would look like as something similar to the Wild West when in actuality, I think a better analogy would be a temporary government dictatorship.

new topics

top topics

join