It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch: Ferguson SWAT Shoots Tear Gas at Al Jazeera Crew, Shreds the Constitution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Mr Mask

That's not how the story played out in San Diego a few years ago. Just Sayin.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

You just advocated an attack against LE while saying you wouldn't advocate an attack against LE. Flipping a vehicle with people inside is very much attacking them.

I'm sure everyone is going to jump down my throat, but this is the kind of ridiculous rhetoric that gets idiots amped up and killed, and is the reason WHY police are so willing to have armored vehicles.

I already have a problem with members calling police Nazis (it wouldn't fly with any other group) but to see a Super Moderator do it and advocate violence worries me. How would this safeguard lives and property? These are basically cars with thick doors and windows. They aren't shooting anything. I don't get why armored vehicles are such a worry. Shoot if I were so inclined I could go buy a tank.

I like you. I think you're a smart cookie. I really do take issue with anyone posting that kind of rhetoric here though, especially a mod. Something about higher standards.

Cooler heads need to prevail, on both sides. That's what I saw in Ferguson today. That's not what I'm seeing with your post. I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended, not as insulting or combative, but something to think about. The whole issue so far has been escalation, and while I can appreciate the anger both sides are feeling (and am pretty much in the protestor camp at this point) think it prudent for everyone to calm down before supporting violence, destruction, and escalation.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I do see your point, and tip my hat to the very civil and mature way you address it. I concede the need to clarify that what I said is VERY VERY far removed from my position with the staff and quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if somebody had a word with me about it.

That being said, I don't feel particularly reasonable towards the police at the moment. I feel threatened and provoked. They're holding all the cards and they are holding a postion far more serious than super moderator, therefore i don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to make the first move toward the bargaining table. Because at this point I honestly believe there is an appreciable chance that at some point in the future I will be placed in a situation where the only two viable options are to be an innocent person in hiding from the police and feeling none too American for it, or to draw a line in the sand and grit my teeth for what we know damn well they would do to me for it.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Dude, they're getting amped up and they're getting killed. Surely using the force of the general public isn't completely out of the question in the discussion?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Except this isn't a problem that should be resolved in the streets. Rather it should be addressed in the halls of our government.

If enough people expressed outrage and demanded real change from their elected officials, we'd likely see things improve.

It's my view the electorate's complacency is just as damaging, if not more so, than any militarization of the police.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

The way I see it, it's not even a discussion of using force. It's not as if I'm getting into planning and recruiting here, and if I did I know just how counterproductive to my desire to not be cornered into dealing with unreasonable law enforcement powers that would potentially be.

To my mind, there is a need for open speech, visible to the police, BEFORE the situation reaches that point on a national level, and flashpoints like Ferguson illustrate the urgency with which that message must be sent to be received in time.

Good cops need to know that they really do have to make a choice in advance about just how far they should be willing to go, and at what point they should disregard their orders as illegal. They need to know that there are a lot of otherwise innocent people out there like myself who are legitimately afraid and could feel the need to defend themselves in certain hypothetical situations, even though we know how poorly that is likely to work out for us, and hopefully therefore see that it is in our common interest, even as adversaries, to back things down. But how can it be we who are giving the warnings who back down first, while they are still physically demonstrating the threat they pose to us?

I am happy to see in social media that many good cops are taking it upon themselves to be an example, and that this is coming out virally and not merely through publicity stunts- todays examples on facebook being a white cop in a dancing contest with some minority children who might otherwise reasonably fear him in the future and another who quickly transitioned from enforcement to rendering first aid when he found out that a woman rolled through a stop sign while because she was choking. Now their brothers need to follow suit. The cops in Ferguson, if they don't want to wage a war of occupation against their own populace and see how long they can last in that kind of operation, had better start brainstorming ways to rebuild trust and demonstrate that they only intend to use their potential for violence in defense of the public good, because not only will it be good for their community, it will be good for the whole country.

But it's in their court. I can't just decide to trust them first. I've gotta keep thinking about what my best chance to come out on top of a Situation X might be, because the same government that pays them has signs everywhere that say "it can't happen to me is not an emergency plan".

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Of course I agree with you. Having much luck with that at the moment, are we?

Just saying.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Thank you for the kind words. Class act. We can disagree and be civil.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
libertygal says it's not true.

i believe her.

it's amazing how many people just jumped on the OP's hate the cops thread, with no problem.

but i bet the jumpers will say, "ya well, but they do it all the time other places"

i thought it was true and laughed when i read al jeezera.

i was mistaken and glad they are ok.

now about the other boneheads that got arrested, good!
when a cop tells you to move, MOVE! lol!!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

That used to be how it worked - not anymore. The police need to re-learn their roles within the system before things get even further out of hand and even more unthinkable things happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

When a cop tells you to move, ask what law you are breaking by standing on your home soil. Under the proper exercise of the American system a police officer is essentially a mail man from whom you can't refuse delivery- he shouldn't have to make any judgement calls or give any orders. He should only be delivering the facts on the ground to the court to have the law applied to them and then delivering back the courts order with the court's ultimatum should you not comply.
A decentralized army of community college certified enforcers practicing different interpretations of the law in every instance and carrying it into force on their own on the spot is NOT how this system was supposed to work.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
Wow. Do they not realize that even though they don't like being filmed, that little stunt of theirs will assure them a place in every classroom from now on?

i doubt that it will see the light of day in government funded education

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I understand. You'd think it would be easier to motivate a bunch of couch potatoes to peacefully engage their government, than to affect change at the end of a gun barrel.

Sad state of affairs we're in.

I just hope the crazies (the ones in and out of uniforms) don't send it all to hell before more reasonable minds can prevail.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

The teargas was fired at the crowd, and ENCROACHED the area where Al Jazeera was staged. They asked for help getting out and SWAT evacuated them to safety, then later went back and retrieved their gear for them.

That sounds nice and all, but that is not what the video evidence shows. The video shows nobody but the camera crew around, first of all, and they finally flee because of the gas. Then the swat team doesn't come over and assemble their gear for them, rather they lay all the lights down and turn the camera where it is no longer facing them, where it cannot see anything. So tell me again how the article you linked to has any basis in reality considering what we saw on the video. If anything it sounds like an attempt at justification, and a poor attempt at that, because again this is not verified by the video evidence.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao
libertygal says it's not true.

now about the other boneheads that got arrested, good!
when a cop tells you to move, MOVE! lol!!

Excuse me? If a cop tells me to MOVE and I am legally in a place where I am breaking no laws...that cop better shut his/her damn mouth. I dislike my paid servants telling me to move when I am just fine where I am.

If anyone needs to learn their place here...its the police.

MM

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

originally posted by: The Vagabond
Oh how cute, an armored car. Why doesn't someone just steal a front end loader and flip that thing on its side with those nazis inside it. I would never advocate an attack on the police, but with self defense against military style armament being the issue it just seems like an obvious way to safeguard lives and property.

There is a war on the streets of the USA and the citizens are outraged. Then, they go back to their living rooms and sit down with a nice cup of coffee and watch some more TV.

In what other country in the world could police do this and not have their asses handed to them by civilians?

What other country in the world is this spread out and disconnected? We are connected to information but disconnected from each other. And I don't necessarily mean the awake readers of ATS, I refer to Americans as a whole.

We are a nation of - "I don't really care until the problem is on my doorstep." We are also a nation that believes the warped story telling, lies, and half-truths of the MSM.

I talked to a woman this weekend about Ferguson, and her response was - "What they are doing in Ferguson is just ignorant." Why? "Because they are rioting, looting, and property destruction because a kid got shot. That's not how I'd want my child to be remembered."

I asked her if she knew about the journalists that were detained by the police in McDonalds in Ferguson. Of course, she had not. I made several points, one of which was "I have no idea what it's like to be black in Ferguson, MO" and she continued to reiterate - "rioting, looting, and property destruction because you are mad is just ignorant" - I reminded her that the Boston Tea Party was nothing more than an act of looting and property destruction because they were angry. With my follow up of "do you think our Founding Fathers are ignorant?"

That pretty much ended the discussion. It's all about what the MSM is making people see and what people choose to see. The greater issue is that the average American citizen wants to be left alone, and this is the issue that emboldens TPTB.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join