It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminder: You Have a Right to Record the Police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Link

If your recording gets "taken for evidence", what good does it do?

Get this & if you're serious, carry a spare card to "hand over".

Either do it right, or not at all.

stay safe.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Too bad that photo isn't. World police really?a reply to: Dingo80

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I agree with you and suggest people check their local laws very carefully before assuming a blanket statement on the internet will mean anything whatsoever on the street in a real world situation.

I'm betting police would have a hell of a time these days, sustaining and pursuing charges if someone had the desire and resources to properly fight it. The higher courts have torn some of this to pieces and with real enjoyment, to read the decisions.

Still...One has to ask themselves in a dead serious way. Am I willing to BE the precedent case and dedicate years of my life to seeing this one single issue get decided in a way it should? .... for most (and me, for that matter) one issue isn't worth my life's dedicated effort.

** As a side note... Missouri is a state where phone recording is 100% legal on a one party awareness (check that carefully if the call crosses a state line). Missouri also embraces the concept of 'The eye cannot trespass', which means in plain speak? If the public can see it, you can reasonably film it. That's Missouri (and I've been in a legal issue with that filming thing..so I know that by direct experience). Other states vary wildly in both law and what they will TREAT like law, whether it actually is or not.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
That's where the difference between brawn and brains comes in. Unfortunatly most cops don't have the brains to be lawyers. Not saying they're idiots of course . There are tests to be passed to become an officer to be sure but it doesn't take a degree. . It does take a degree of egotism. You have to exude authority to be a cop. a reply to: Sremmos80

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
No, what I mean is this, cops are basically people qualified to do nothing else, if we didn't need police, 75% of these guys would be asking you if you "want fries with that". It barely requires a HSD and some jurisdictions actually require their police to have lower IQs.
There is no point in arguing the finer points of law on the street with well armed ,low IQ,glorified security guard with an inferiority complex.
Just like the jock idiots in high school they just want a reason to beat you up.

Don't get beaten up in the street. Fully exercise your Miranda rights (keep your mouth shut) and wait for your day in court.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I normally agree with ya, but wanted to note something important I've been seeing well before I got into college myself.

The city department I live near the jurisdiction of requires 60 hours completed for college credit, a 2 year degree, military service to substitute (with additional points to meet for that route) or experience of equivalent nature to the police position.

In other words...the uneducated need not even open the front door for anything but dealing with their own police problems. Certainly never to apply for work. It wasn't always like that, and I personally think the addition of so many academic types to police work creates BIG problems..it doesn't solve them. College kids can't stand toe to toe with someone THEIR OWN size and be 100% confident in their own ability to physically END the confrontation....so what else do they have? Why, their batman belt has plenty to keep a touchy-feely guy today from scuffing a boot or putting a finger out of joint. Tasers...Mace...Guns...Billy bats...

All kinds of things sit on that utility belt. What is missing are two hands capable of forming fists to handle things without any gizmos from the belt.

I think it was a far better police force when the majority were big, capable badass types. Why? The true badass types that earn the term by action and not fluffy words? They KNOW that, don't have to prove it to anyone anymore, and are less likely to demonstrate it, since the outcome is sure and really, not very productive anyway..when someone is confident enough to look that far into the choices. Insecurity is what I think brings overreaction as a way of life.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Alright yes this i agree with completely.
Arguing with the power hungry only makes things worth. Foot in mouth for previous post to ys

top topics

<< 1   >>

join