It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Ferguson, Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery gives account of his arrest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasSeabee

They are not whining because the SHTF. They are protesting who flung it in the first place - those who are supposed to de-escalate the situation.

And since YOU brought up embedding ...funny how American forces don't mind/prohibit embedding when we're bombing/tearing through the ME for ten years but Ferguson LEOs can't tolerate a reporter standing on the public street or working from the McDs as they violate the Constitutional rights of the citizens they supposedly serve.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

o we diddn't mind embedding? I hated those reporters and their attitudes... and they knew to do what we said or they could die. Stay in the HMMWV meant Stay in the HMMWV. The high command didnt mind reporters but we sure as hell did.

People on both sides of this are very stressed out. The majority of these cops have never dealt with any of this type of situation before and have no idea how to react to even the smallest thing going on so they over react. If you are going to be involved in one of these situations then try and understand how stressed everyone is and dont try to make it worse by dragging your feet and trying to act all like you can do whatever you want cause "im the press".

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Statisically 50% of americans recieve some form of gov. help. So it seems that both sides arre being funded by the same group. One side is just more funded. The police are more state funded while the people are gov. funded. That kinda flows with the reaction of the gov. today. I think in my first post i was not taking into account that some group may have influence over information and that causes the need for alternative media sites but they are among a large group that are not all on the same page.

Apologies in advance if I misinterpreted what you're saying here. Sometimes I get too literal and have a bit of trouble extrapolating what someone means. Let me know if I misinterpreted if that's the case here.

I don't think the deference to police information is necessarily related to funding. Police information is going to, naturally, have a view of having greater authenticity than your average eye witness on the street. That phenomena isn't just simply in the news media but also in entertainment media. It's like that one ghost show, The Dead Files, they make a big deal that one of the co-hosts of the show is a former police detective or Ghost Hunters and Steve, the former police officer, lol. It also happens in the courts as well. A police report or statement on the stand has far greater weight with a jury than your average eye witness. It's all throughout our culture and that's fine most of the time. However, when you have a situation where the activity of the police is being questioned itself, then using those police departments as a source can be suspect.

Police officers go out every day and frequently find themselves, through the course of their work, in often hostile and even dangerous situations. They need to feel like their fellow police officers have their backs when out in the field. That's the way the brotherhood that is frequently found in police departments anywhere is formed and can be very good. However, not always so especially if there is activities that are not wrong and would be unsupported by the public they are intended to serve going on. It shouldn't be used to cover up wrong doing, ever. We all must follow the law and not you or I or a police officer gets to skirt it.

Put those two thoughts together and apply them to this situation, you have a police department which has been noted as having significant issues with racial profiling by the Missouri Attorney General and of whom one of their brothers may have done grievous wrong. Those things right there should be enough to cause for concern whether or not they will remain an unbiased source for news media without having anything to do with who is funding them. In that event, what is being reported by other sources or even unreported is almost necessary. Just as long as it is done with extreme caution as a lot of those alternative sites can be subject to huge amounts of spin.

Make sense?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: scghst1

Initially, both Ryan Reilly of the Huffington Post and I were asked for identification. I was wearing my lanyard, but Ryan asked why he had to show his ID. They didn’t press the point, but one added that if we called 911, no one would answer.

From the report link you provided.
Sounds like something from our past.
I vould like to see Ver paper Verk!

Shocking events going on right now. I have been following this very closely here. And while I seem shocked, I am not surprised by these turns of events.
The US has always been leading up to this new age 4th reich.
You see Hilter was funded by Rockefeller, and others who have big interests in our country.
A repeat of history, yet slightly slanted for the this new age.
But along the same lines. The same people are still in charge in the background.
If those of you who doubt me on this. Please do the research.
We live in the reborn Nazi reich.
Even our scientists who lead Nasa where Nazi top guys. Top CIA leaders, Nazi guys.

They are not even hiding these facts anymore. Its right in front of our faces, and public knowledge.
They don't care. Not like you are going to do anything to stop them.
They have military style force, to put you down..
And the public to act like turncoats on those who finally stand up to their oppressors.
The public calling them animals, putting them down. policing them on their own accord.
Crazy stuff. Sometimes I wonder, if we even deserve true freedom at this point.
Freedom is fought for, and earned.
WE lost that, long ago. And must FIGHT, to earn it back.
Those folks in Ferguson are heroes IMO.

Yet some are claiming the cop, Bryan is the hero ..
My my, different points of view. And so many ways of looking at this will lead us into that GREAT divide.

Has it been confirmed that Bryan P. Willman, a.k.a. "Scooby. is in fact the cop who shoot Mike Brown?
Not looking to spread dis info or bunk info. But that is what my sources are telling me.

As without linking this crap.. There are Facebook pages popping up with Rebel flags, claiming the Hero Bryan, and pretty much posting many KKK related links. Propaganda? I don't know, but seems down right Vile and hateful.
Not something I even want to link or get into. I will ignore that side to this. As it leads to nothing but building more hate on all sides.
Typical Clan MO.
As word was Black Panther party is on in this too. Chris cross information can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands, and read by the wrong minds.
edit on 14-8-2014 by zysin5 because: Final edit.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The embedded program in the Middle east was specifically designed to control the press by the Bush admin...keep your friends close and enemies closer etc. I won't scrounge for the links, but that all came out in planning docs for the "embedded program" it was a way to control where the reporters went and mute objective reporting.

As for Ferguson...this reminds me of the South during civil rights. When local police spun so far off the rails that the Feds had to get involved. We might be heading in the same direction to a lesser, more contemporary degree.

The Cops in Ferguson seem to be living like it is 50 years ago.

Mark my words...by the time this is over the Sheriff will resign and an investigation from the DOJ/FBI will ensue.

Whatever your politics, there is no debating the man in the Whitehouse is following this closely and thinking about intervention options. The Civil Rights plus Race issue?...Let's see what the next week brings.

edit on 14-8-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice
This is the full footage of what occurred to Al'Jazeera and includes the KSDK cameraman's remark right at the beginning. What is equally disturbing was the footage at 1:26 where SWAT start disassembling the Al'Jazheera equipment while another one is standing guard, looking down his scope. It's quiet before and after. The only noise you hear are coming from the PD.

This is a perfect example showing that everything good in America that set it apart from tyrannical countries has completely evaporated, and that the people en masse, are still willing to do nothing about it.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

This is the full footage of what occurred to Al'Jazeera and includes the KSDK cameraman's remark right at the beginning. What is equally disturbing was the footage at 1:26 where SWAT start disassembling the Al'Jazheera equipment while another one is standing guard, looking down his scope. It's quiet before and after. The only noise you hear are coming from the PD.

This is a perfect example showing that everything good in America that set it apart from tyrannical countries has completely evaporated, and that the people en masse, are still willing to do nothing about it.

I think that there was enough of a hubbub from news media and social media for the government to actually be pressured to make strong condemning statements. Considering that the people in Ferguson are marching in very large numbers in peace this evening instead of facing off against what it did last night, that's a pretty good outcome so far. I just hope it sticks and isn't simply damage control.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

I think that there was enough of a hubbub from news media and social media for the government to actually be pressured to make strong condemning statements. Considering that the people in Ferguson are marching in very large numbers in peace this evening instead of facing off against what it did last night, that's a pretty good outcome so far. I just hope it sticks and isn't simply damage control.

Good...just what we need, some more strong statements.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mrsdudara

The police are using the same dirty tactics. They've even been known to send instigators into peaceful protests just so they could crack some heads and launch some canisters. Fun, as they call it.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What we should be concerned about is not the rioting or the protesting or even the police. But it is that there is an active attempt by the police, probably on the orders from someone to black out the media, and or censor what is in the public's interest. To me that is far more disturbing than any of this put together. That they would try to stop/halt or even try to prevent the media from doing their job and reporting on the events. It reeks and badly. And that they would try to prevent filming, is not a good thing, as it indicates that there is something that they are trying to hide or prevent the general public from finding out. It makes them look back and further adds gasoline to the fire that is burning out of control.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Oh cry me a river, Law enforcement didn't want any slimey, bottom feeding media stooges instigating and agitating the already out of control masses of looting, idiotic lawless criminals.

LMAO, any other time some of you would have been yelling about how the media distorts their reporting in order to follow their media tycoon masters agenda.

How about some consistency eh?

LMAO!
~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

I agree the media can be slime....and I often dispute their veracity.

But, whether I agree with a media story or not is besides the point.
Police/LEOs should not be allowed to trample on the Constitution...which LEOs took an oath to uphold
www.constitution.org...

edit on Fri Aug 15 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I agree. And that is exactly what has happened. I am actually very pleased with the outcome of everything Thursday night thru Friday early morning. It seems as though as soon as the local PD was pulled out of the area and State Police were put in charge, things changed. I am not one to like the State Police (especially here in NY), but they have definitely made a big help in the facilitation of reporters, media, and protesters now.

I just cant even comprehend what is going through some of these LEOs mind's when they take an oath to obey a 238 year old document that our country was founded upon, and then disobey it entirely.

Like it or not, it would be the exact same thing as a doctor taking the Hippocratic Oath and then deliberately killing and injuring patients. They would lose their licenses and most likely charged. But these LEOs? They don't see any of that. They get a paid vacation and a "You probably shouldn't do that again any time soon".

It's sickening.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Pardon me, but a Washington Times reporter is not a exactly a "free lance reporter". But, I do realize it's founding. reply to: scghst1

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ISeeTheFnords

No no, i apologize for not clarifying. There were MANY freelance there. I wasn't specifically talking about Wash. Post/Times. I understand what you're saying though.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Whether I agree with a media story or not is besides the point.

Are you responding to the right person? Who accused you of not agreeing with anything? When did I post, or reply to a post by you at all? I am very confused, what do you personally have to do with anything that I have posted concerning this issue DontTreadOn Me?

Police/LEOs should not be allowed to trample on the Constitution...which LEOs took an oath to uphold
www.constitution.org...

I have never supported anything against the Constitution here, or anywhere else ever. All I have done the last 20 years online is defend the Constitution of The United States of America. Actually, That link was once linked to my own former website for years.

Anyway wish you the best, not sure what this is all about, especially after I was one of the few to come to your defense in that thread over the RT accusations. ~$heopleNation
edit on 15-8-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: scghst1

Saw your post three down from the reply earlier, and had to comment and star that one. No animosity mate, just as frustrated at the current state of affairs as you are it seems.
From a different, yet semi-relevant POV, I remember moving from NM, where I'm 5th gen, to Alabama, I was COMPLETELY FLABBERGASTED that in 1992 (17y/o) I saw with my own eyes a sign in Cullman AL., on either end of that 1 & 1/2 mile town a sign that read, "N****, don't let the sun set on you A$$ in Cullman". It was gone by '93, but holy excrement, I couldn't believe it had I not seen it with my own eyes. Even have a pic, but way before even flip phones, so it's an antique now, relegated to a simple "Polariod", but even as a "white" in Alabama at the time, there wasn't a single day over five years that went by that I didn't hear, "You ain't from 'round here boy, are ya?".
Only been to St. Louis once, and just rented a car to go to Iowa (cheap flight). I have to say, seemed like the same kind of...segregation...for lack of a better word, as Alabama, and that was in 2002.
I have to say, thought, even being a "gringo" in the SW (5th generation New Mexican, and although I have freckles I am part "Mestizo", ) St. Louis & certain parts of Atlanta (which is a GREAT city) & Jacksonville, TN, I've never felt the "FEAR" of being a "pinche gringo" in my life.
Not that I've been everywhere, but...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I appreciate your honesty and concur. Being in various parts of NY I have even heard the "where the heck(bleep) are you from??" because of my lingo. I grew up in a mostly "white" town that turned inter-racial in my high school years. It's actually really sad that the world (not just America) has such racial and demographic profiling. And honestly I am slowly started to conclude my own hypothesis that it is a survival instinct. Remember Neanderthal, Clovis, and Homosapien Sapien and the prelude to the spreading of different people to different areas? It's a survival instinct to stay close to those who you trust and believe in. But that's off-topic

Thanks for contributing. I sincerely hope; at least it is now being looked at and regarded by media, that most of this trend will start to come to an end. If nothing happens NOW about LEOs trampling the peoples' rights, then the next time will be much much worse.

I can personally say that if anything like this happened where I am from in NYS (a state that is absolutely tired of oppression and are just waiting for the straw that breaks the camel's back), there would be QUITE A FEW people taking pot shots at police and ready to invoke anarchy until something is sincerely done about it.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Thanks, and much respect to you.
I rarely post, as you can see, I guess it was partially a knee-jerk(JERK) reaction. Please see my latest reply to you.
I just really wish people would come to realize that we are all in the same boat. Or as Bucky Fuller put it, on the same spaceship.
Much love to you and all who contribute to this great forum. (even the naysayers like...well, I won't go there, but there are some that really just like to degrade).
You are not among those mentioned, BTW, just...I don't reply/participate much because of them. The idea being; If you decide to argue with an idiot, ask yourself, who is the bigger idiot.
reply to: scghst1

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: scghst1

I appreciate your honesty and concur. Being in various parts of NY I have even heard the "where the heck(bleep) are you from??" because of my lingo. I grew up in a mostly "white" town that turned inter-racial in my high school years. It's actually really sad that the world (not just America) has such racial and demographic profiling. And honestly I am slowly started to conclude my own hypothesis that it is a survival instinct. Remember Neanderthal, Clovis, and Homosapien Sapien and the prelude to the spreading of different people to different areas? It's a survival instinct to stay close to those who you trust and believe in. But that's off-topic

Thanks for contributing. I sincerely hope; at least it is now being looked at and regarded by media, that most of this trend will start to come to an end. If nothing happens NOW about LEOs trampling the peoples' rights, then the next time will be much much worse.

I can personally say that if anything like this happened where I am from in NYS (a state that is absolutely tired of oppression and are just waiting for the straw that breaks the camel's back), there would be QUITE A FEW people taking pot shots at police and ready to invoke anarchy until something is sincerely done about it.

Amen, or Nameste, or whatever floats your boat bro.
This Militarization of the Police, POPO, or whatever your preferred noun is, has got to stop. I fear saying too much, but...efficient lead pushers are valuable in these times, although I'd like to think of them as I do my kitchen fire extiguisher...they're both loaded, and I hope to never have to use them.
Again, much respect to you for the respect shown to me. 'Tis a great mind that can agree to disagree without demonizing 't'other.'

edit on 8/15/2014 by ISeeTheFnords because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/15/2014 by ISeeTheFnords because: I didn't edit, that was the only choice given to me after I finished. (mods?_)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join