It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis-Based Batteries Could Charge Your Phone in Seconds—And Change the Way We Store Energy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This actually sounds interesting. Better use of the cannabis plant than a joint. LOL

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: lakesidepark

Sadly though it gets pressure to be illegal because on a scientific taxonomy basis there is no distinction between Hemp and marijuana. They are both considered Cannabis Sativa Liene. As long as one is illegal they are all illegal. If the distinction in the plants was due to natural causes as opposed to selective breeding the plants could have two separate species names and hemp would be immune to other cannabis cultivars prejudices. You could have Cannabis Ruderalis and Cannabis Sativa/Indica as two separate species, but sadly no.

It's like making it illegal to grow cabbage because someone passed a law persecuting broccoli. Cabbage, broccoli, kale, culiflour all the same exact plant. Just bred for different results.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Good answer from an obviously wise poster.

Its' tough being wise, as I see you also have your share of detractors (most surely the uninformed that oppose your wisdom), and post their best quotes against you as your sig line.
(I like that...maybe I should do that too...).

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Once upon a time it was a crime for an English farmer not to grow an annual quota of hemp. You won't see that in the news thanks to Anslinger and his cronies. I'm sure the word marijuana was actually invented by them to help with the criminalisation of hemp.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The declaration of independence was drafted on hemp paper too I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Cool idea, thanks for posting it OP. I had no idea this was being explored. Perhaps this will finally lead to a battery that can rival distance and power for an electric vehicle!

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

Monsanto already wants to create a strain of cannabis & have a patent on it.

I have a feeling it will not be as great medicinally as traditional cannabis & may even have health problems occur. "Smoke some cannabis to make yourself better but it's going to mess with your RNA & DNA in the processes. "

Medicinal and Industrial, I'm not surpised - Save your Seeds.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
Once upon a time it was a crime for an English farmer not to grow an annual quota of hemp. You won't see that in the news thanks to Anslinger and his cronies. I'm sure the word marijuana was actually invented by them to help with the criminalisation of hemp.

I'd forgotten all about that. Hemp was used for lots of things in revolutionary times. George Washington grew hemp. There's this documentary I've heard of but haven't seen called "The real history of Marijana". I remember in the seventies all this talk of replacing motor oil with hemp oil that the 'viscosity' was better and more durable.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: sg1642

I'd forgotten all about that. Hemp was used for lots of things in revolutionary times. George Washington grew hemp. There's this documentary I've heard of but haven't seen called "The real history of Marijana". I remember in the seventies all this talk of replacing motor oil with hemp oil that the 'viscosity' was better and more durable.
the amount of uses for hemp that I've read about are ridiculous. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject just read up on it a few times but I remember reading somewhere that it would've rendered the oil industry obsolete if it had reached its full potential. The word marijuana was invented and film clips were shown of Mexican immigrants supposedly high on it causing trouble, being violent and I'm sure it encouraged them to rape, pillage and plunder. Now when I was a lot younger I used to do a bit and the only thing I wanted to plunder was my mother's fridge (No incestuous pun intended). Harry Anslinger and a few powerful businessmen men at the time supposedly knew of the potential uses of hemp and the potential it had to empty their wallets so they started a smear campaign to get the plant labelled as an illegal drug.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaboiaAlien
This actually sounds interesting. Better use of the cannabis plant than a joint. LOL

I would say so, since you don't use hemp that way and it won't get you high. So much ignorance in this thread (not necessarily directed at you DaboiaAlien), and the ones similar to it. Hemp will NOT get you high, there is a very low THC content in it (THC is what gives you the high).

For anyone who wants to educate themselves, here's some excellent information from Dr. David P. West, who is a Ph.D in plant breeding. www.naihc.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish

originally posted by: DaboiaAlien

I would say so, since you don't use hemp that way and it won't get you high. So much ignorance in this thread (not necessarily directed at you DaboiaAlien), and the ones similar to it. Hemp will NOT get you high, there is a very low THC content in it (THC is what gives you the high).

For anyone who wants to educate themselves, here's some excellent information from Dr. David P. West, who is a Ph.D in plant breeding. www.naihc.org...
is it not off the same family of plants but not the actual typical cannabis plant that people grow for obvious use?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Cannabis Ruderalis (hemp) and Cannabis Sativa/Indica (Marijuana) ARE the exact same plant. Cannabis Sativa Liene. There is no difference EXCEPT for how much THC is present in the Trichomes (resin glands,crystals etc of cannabis plant) The difference is created through thousands of years of human selective breeding of the plant. Legally it makes hemp and marijuana the exact same thing. (we all know there is a difference) but LEGALLY there is no distinction. Because one is illegal the other is too. If science were to reclassify what makes a species and what makes a Breed/cultivar/ variety then hemp could distance it's self from the legalities of marijuana and stand on it's own. Or if the idiots who made this law had a IQ high enough to see the distinction and either reform the existing law or create a new one that actually made any sense.

Basically the govt. went marijuana is according to scientists cannabis sativa liene. Hemp is according to to scientists cannabis sative liene. Same plant. One we want to illegalize so that it doesn't make competition for our cronies at Du Ponte. The other we want to illegalize to persecute a new labor force that will disrupt our cronies economy. "Win/Win we get to screw over everybody and keep ALL the pieces of the pie...yaaaay!!!!!! Money!!!...My Precious...." That was probably exclaimed by someone back then when the laws were past. Meanwhile the scum over in the private prison industry peek their heads into the room holding a champagne bottle and some glasses and with a S eating grin and says "Did somebody say illegal?!?" All of them in unison "MONEY!!!!.... MY Preeeeh-shus." Some creepy happy we screwed everyone for money party ensues.

We need to change the laws so that cannabis sativa liene is made LEGAL ( that frees up hemp from prosecution) and only make certain cultivars more commonly known as marijuana illegal.

The fact is the govt and certain private entities screwed the public with a loop hole in the law. In a sane world this would never happen. Disenfranchising and forcing into despair your own species for personal financial gain is despicable and the true markings of a sociopath and in my opinion a crime against humanity.
edit on 17-8-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I see Ive come to the post a little late lakesidepark an BASSPLYR have already said a lot of the same sentiments I would have.. great work im glad to see some well informed people still among us here

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: PaperMetel
I see Ive come to the post a little late lakesidepark an BASSPLYR have already said a lot of the same sentiments I would have.. great work im glad to see some well informed people still among us here
yeah very good posts and quite informative. I was under the impression it was two different types of plant from the same family but it's not a subject I know a great deal about. Found this written about the plants I'm reading through it just now it's quite an interesting read.
hempethics.weebly.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It makes you wonder. If the bbc and other news organisations are reporting on this then could it be the start of a move to bring the uses of hemp into the mainstream? It would make sense for the powers that be to keep a stranglehold over natural resources to maximise profit while keeping this one in their back pocket, only bringing it out when the time is right for them. Oil etc are obviously still huge money makers but they have their problems. I'd like to think the possibilities of hemp could be fully realised and not monopolised along the way to suit people's greed.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
BBC report

m.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I just don't understand why they didn't think "hey Hemp is a million times better, let's invest in this stuff" instead of being afraid of losing out so they had to create huge lies.

Think of how rich they would be, how much better our clothing would be made from hemp & all the other things that would be much much better if they were made from hemp

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's mainly because it's a much harder industry to control. They are interested in the lining of their own pockets and nothing more. Farmers can't grow crude oil in the fields so they'd much rather have everyone rely on that so they can keep control and maximise profits. Now that oil has nearly run its course they are going to have their eyes on the next money maker.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Interesting article! I've been intrigued by the grapheme nano-tech since I heard about it a year ago. I believe but I'd have to look that it is Lockheed making the nano-filters or GE or both. Sierra wireless was/is using grapheme for the "internet of everything". The issue of course is cost, Hemp would be an awesome substitute which I've also been intrigued by. Surprised actually that with all this positive momentum, the Hemp industry stocks or even Marijuana in general has suffered in the market all year. I guess depending on how you look at it, it could be a good thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yes but if they had started working on controlling it from the very beginning then I'm sure by now, 100yrs later, they would have it licked.
edit on 17-8-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join