It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town Mysteriously Missing 24 Percent of Its Water

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
In Cali they are blaming illegal pot growers...

m.kcra.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: Dingo80
Somebody needs to ask nestle' to turn their pockets inside out.

Humm, you do have a point there since some very powerful corporations seem to want to "privitize water".

Hell, some want to Privatize the air. I bet the thief's will be found, and they will be either Rich, Corporate or Infrastructure problems which have been ignored since Ronald Reagan flipped the Tax Code putting the Infrastructure burden on the little people.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Talk about synchronicity!
I live in a small town of less than three people, and two days ago the waterlines to six house blew, along with two water tanks.
Apparently, the maintenance workers turned the water off for one section, then turned it back on with the pressure set to high.
The reason they turned it off is they were looking for a water leak. They have been leak-hunting for all of the 17 years I have lived here, as our town looses 100,000+ of water each year-and nobody knows where it's going!
I had no idea when I first read this thread that it was such a wide-spread problem, or that it was happening in my own back yard!

Now, I find myself re-thinking sinkholes.....

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They have companies with special equipment to track leaks from on top the streets. They did that here a while back. I don't know what kind of equipment it is, but they found a lot of leaks with it. Half the water was leaking through cracked old lines, broken by frost movement of the ground over the years. They got them pretty well fixed.

I'm sure they can get a company to come there, it wouldn't be that expensive.

I think the city needs to be billed for all the water used, Place a penaulty and fine them, A handling fee needs to be applied, A cleanup crew needs to fix the lines,they need to pay construction workers to fix the problem,a committee FEE needs to be developed to assesss the problem plus so it does not happen again. They need to be charged interest per gallon of water loss and the time it takes to pay it back, They need to pay for a court hearing in the matter, The committee will charge town for dig,placement and every foot of pipe used, A land crew to survey the damage and determine if anything else is damaged. The town should of had insurance and needs to be looked into and if they didn't, then a back FEE must be applied for insurance and a TAX on it all and if the town cannot pay then a levy will be put on the assets of said town to be put on AUCTION and said town tennants must be taken out of town with court orders to leave. This includes city hall who did not look into the matter at hand. Said town to be Evicted and moved on said date and All properties to be liquidated emediately.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

How about if they just fix the leaks so they don't have to be paying so much for water.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Plastic pipe.
Many years ago many towns and cities replaced there aging steel pipe with plastic pipe.
All it takes is a tiny leak and mud or other fine sediments like calcium it get into these leaks and it grinds away tiny amounts of the plastic making the hole larger.
It works just like a sand blaster except a lot slower.

The feds gave many towns and cities money to up grade and replace old water systems.
most used this plastic pipe.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

How about if they just fix the leaks so they don't have to be paying so much for water.

great point. IF this was just your problem as a citizen, this is what your city would do to you. FINES, FEES, court,insurance,handling fee,taxes,assessors,contractors,inspectors,surveyors, and structural colateral. Do you think your city would get all these bills? NO, you would pay them in city taxes go up. You pay or move out, not the other way around. When they do a water audit who flips the bill ? The city, NO. You do. You pay higher taxes. I wonder if it just a gimmik, a SCAM to have town's people pay higher taxes. They should investigate. And if true. FIRE all of them and put them in jail for fraud. My first thought would be that of people tend to let infastructure go when out of funds to fix the problems. Use the new pipe, it will last longer, more durable to cold weather. Places that have earthquakes must really have major problems. Leaks everywhere. You could say that they were in a holy place.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Everything gets passed down to the consumer. It is no different than a big corporation.

Who pays for the Superbowl ads, the company? Hell no, they probably tack a penny onto everyone's Coke for that, more in the case of high dollar products like cars. Everyone who buys a new Chrysler auto probably pays ten bucks for their Superbowl ad.

The water leaks were often ignored before water started to get more scarce. These communities can apply for government match to fix their infrastructure, the government has lots of national debt available.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse
100000 gallons seems like alot but really its not. when i used to work laying water and seewr lines we would use fire hydrants to fill manholes full of water to push dodgebaalls through sewer mains to clean out the sand or dirt that occasionally would get in the line when an idiot would leave a manhole open and someone would grade the road to close to manhole . well one day doing this we had been trying to flush out a line like this all day long and me kept seing frie dept going by on main road all day the reason was the water tower a block awat was being emptied and they had no idea why. rhe end of our line had a 30 foot deep lift station at the end with three sump pumps pumping out the water into a ditch that fed into a river. we emptied the water tower before we realized it .

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
Talk about synchronicity!
I live in a small town of less than three people, and two days ago the waterlines to six house blew, along with two water tanks.
Apparently, the maintenance workers turned the water off for one section, then turned it back on with the pressure set to high.
The reason they turned it off is they were looking for a water leak. They have been leak-hunting for all of the 17 years I have lived here, as our town looses 100,000+ of water each year-and nobody knows where it's going!
I had no idea when I first read this thread that it was such a wide-spread problem, or that it was happening in my own back yard!

Now, I find myself re-thinking sinkholes.....

Yes, that is extremely strange. More so when it is happening to a town that barely has people in it. I am guessing your town has less than three hundred people, and that was what you meant to write.

I understand and know that leakage can occur, but this water that is leaking should be getting into our deep underground aquifers where they reach impermeable layers and stay within those layers. With time water tables move, even within a few weeks they can move from area to area but as those maps show most of the aquifers are well below average, so where is this water going into?

As far as I am aware there don't seem to be any mayor work trying to find whether the water tables are moving permanently to new areas, which can and does happen, yet I don't see any real interest into trying to find out what is going on.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Yes, I do know that such mishaps can and do happen. Yet, there are areas where this has been going on for years and even decades. Yet this water that is leaking should be reaching impermeable layers, and most aquifers sit in these layers unless something is disturbing those layers which could be natural or manmade. But for this to be happening simultaneously in most of our major aquifers is a little too strange. I don't believe in coincidences, so there has to be something going on.

Let me show you something else on what our future, and I mean within 5-10 years, has in store if we don't find what is going on and find a solution.

August 18, 2014, 11:43 AM

Drought conditions may have leveled off across California, but nearly 100% of the state remains in the third-harshest category for dryness, according to the latest measurements..

For the past two weeks, California's drought picture has remained the same, halting a steady march toward worse. But the breather has allowed the state to recover only ever so slightly.

Meanwhile, nearly 82% of California continues to suffer "extreme" drought, and within that area, more than half the state is under the driest "exceptional" drought category.

The figures comes as the state Water Resources Control Board authorized strict fines for water wasters in July as part of the latest conservation effort.

As cities across California start enforcing penalties with renewed gusto for over-watering, residents have felt the consequences -- some incurring huge fines, others annoyed with browning neighborhood lawns.

In Santa Cruz, residents who incur penalties can even attend one-time classes instead of paying fees -- the water equivalent of traffic school.

www.latimes.com...

Instead of implementing harsher penalties for using a natural resource we need there is no real effort being put into finding the main culprit and working on a more permanent solution.. I know that there are people who do waste water too much but this is not the reason why the underground water tablets are drying up. Something else is going on, and implementing more and more strict water laws is not going to get to the root of the problem.

Even in areas where we have seen a lot of flooding the underground aquifers are well below average, so something is happening to these layers that is draining most of this water and we need to find a real solution to this problem or we will be in deep doodoo.

I find it too much of a coincidence that this problem is playing so nicely into the plans to implement Agenda 21 and giving more power to certain people, read tptb.

This water has to be going somewhere. Either the water table is permanently moving to deeper layers naturally, which would mean we need to excavate deeper and search were to they are moving. Or this water is being drained by artificial means and is being collected somewhere underground, which is doable. Either way we need to find a solution within a few years, yet there are no real attempts to find solutions there is no attempt at trying to find the real culprit for this problem.

edit on 20-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Now, let me show you what the UN, and certain people, have in store for us as the situation worsens, and it will worsen the way it is going.

Water and Privatization

by Shannyn Snyder

After long excluding the word "water" from its guidelines, constitutions and bills of rights since the 1940s, both the United Nations (UN) and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in conferences and appearances from the late 1970s to present have verbally recognized water as a basic human need and even more importantly, a human right. Yet worldwide, water scarcity of usable, potable water threatens of lives of every population.

thewaterproject.org...

Even though the UN, and many world leaders "claim" that water is a basic right the fact is that the UN has "excluded" the word water as a basic right. So despite tptb claiming and telling people, it is a right (which it is), they are doing the opposite. Why exclude the word water as a basic right if you claim it is?

Let's continuing reading.

In the UN World Water Report of 2006, it was noted that "there is enough water for everyone" and "water insufficiency is often due to mismanagement, corruption, lack of appropriate institutions, bureaucratic inertia and a shortage of investment in both human capacity and physical infrastructure". (source) That is, a lesser known predator of world water to the commonly discussed pollution and climate warming is privatization by large corporations, and it is a large cause of water scarcity.

A new independent documentary by Irena Salina called "Flow," which premiered at the 2008 Sundance Festival and opened in select theaters in September 2008 has already received various awards and acclaim for bringing attention to the corporate side of the dwindling fresh water supply. For more information, see www.flowthefilm.com...

thewaterproject.org...

Now, notice how slick these people are. While pointing out the fact that "there is enough water for everyone" and pointing out also some of the main causes such as "corruption, bureaucratic inertia and a shortage of investment in both human capacity and physical infrastructure" they also claim that "privatization of water a major cause". Yet what is the solution being offered by the UN and tptb?

The governments of Europe, the United States, and Japan are unlikely to negotiate a social-democratic pattern of globalization – unless their hands are forced by a popular movement or a catastrophe, such as another Great Depression or ecological disaster

These governments would not accept a "social-democratic pattern of globalization" unless their hands are FORCED by a popular movement (Occupy and Anthropogenic Global Warming movements), another Great Depression (the current GLOBAL economic crisis), or an ecological disaster (Global Warming being blamed on humans)

Democratising Global Governance:

The Challenges of the World Social Forum

by

Francesca Beausang

ABSTRACT

This paper sums up the debate that took place during the two round tables organized by UNESCO within the first World Social Forum in Porto Alegre (25/30 January 2001). It starts with a discussion of national processes, by examining democracy and then governance at the national level. It first states a case for a "joint" governance based on a combination of stakeholder theory, which is derived from corporate governance, and of UNESCO's priorities in the field of governance. As an example, the paper investigates how governance can deviate from democracy in the East Asian model. Subsequently, the global dimension of the debate on democracy and governance is examined, first by identification of the characteristics and agents of democracy in the global setting, and then by allusion to the difficulties of transposing governance to the global level.

www.unesco.org...

Even though they state "the monopoly of natural resources like water by large corporations" is one the biggest problems their solution is to implement "global governance derived from corporate governance". How does their goal plan to solve these problems make sense when they want to expand the current problems globally?

It is obvious that the droughts we have been facing, the worse ones we face plays well into this goal of global governance, and I have to wonder why more people are not seeing what is actually happening.

I know, it looks like deviating from the topic, but the two are interrelated. The real water shortage problems we are having in nations like the U.S. is playing well into the "global governance plans" they claim are the solution.

What I think we need is more people really need to get involved instead of believing "this problem can be solved later, or the government will solve it". Because that only puts us in even a worse situation.

We need to start looking at what exactly is causing this problem, and whether it is "natural", which could be possible, or something being caused intentionally, which is also very probable, we need real solutions instead of worsening the problem.

While many people believe the UN, and other world bodies are against "the privatization of water by corporations" the fact is that their solution is to actually implement "globalization derived from corporate governance", in fact a global corporation in charge of what should be "natural resources and basic rights" such as the right to water.

If there is any truth to the claim by UN officials, and others who support the UN that water is a right, then why is it the current index of the website of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has no entry for water as a right? (link is not working trying to find a new link).

This paper answers the question of whether individuals or groups have a legal right to a minimum set of
resources, specifically water, and whether there is an obligation for States or other parties to provide those
resources when they are lacking. This question has not been adequately addressed. Several of the major references
and bibliographies related to the issue of human rights have no entries or citations related to water
(Lawson, 1991; United Nations, 1993; Steiner and Alson, 1996). Even the current index of the website of the
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has no entry for water (www.unhchr.ch...).

pacinst.org...

edit on 20-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: correct errors, add info and link.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join