It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Army in Ferguson tonight! Sporadic Twitter/Facebook censoring of #Ferguson hashtag

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: Rocker2013

By the same token, the Patrol officer has not been convicted of a crime either.

We really do not know exactly what went down during the shooting, and likely will never have a solid truth there since there were no cameras and all the witnesses have very subjective views.

I remembered reading that the police reportedly do have footage. I'm not sure how much of the shooting or aftermath was recorded. But here is a source similar to what I read.

Anthony D. Gray, the other lawyer working with Crump in the Michael Brown case, said he had misgivings about the objectivity of law enforcement officials in St. Louis County. He said they had conducted interviews with police officials who were on the scene when Brown was shot but had failed to interview any of the witnesses.

“I believe St. Louis County lost their objectivity,” Gray said, speaking withBET.com. 

“There is video footage that the police confiscated,” said Gray, who is based in St. Louis. “The police asked one young lady who was a witness for her phone. The police have what we think is raw footage. We’re not here to indict all police officers. We have strong suspicions on this one."

source

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

The apparent lack of medical attention is very disturbing. No matter what happened to lead to a police shooting, you still normally call an ambulance, etc. They didn't even take the body away in an ambulance, they put it in the back of a police SUV. I don't know what the laws are in Missouri, but normally only a doctor or coroner can pronounce someone dead.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Most of St. Louis and St. Louis County are more than aware of the not so justful tactics of St. Louis County LE. I wasn't surprised at all at the brute force and equipment displayed during the initial protests and vigil.

The fact that The state police are left out of any decision making, leads me to believe that Nixon negotiated poorly with Ferguson officials. He really should have not allowed Ferguson to save face at all. I am troubled by the fact that State police stood back while looting occurred. Maybe it's best, as the community ended up stepping forward to protect those businesses.

For some strange reason I have the feeling that things are being orchestrated in the direction of being able to occupy and subdue Ferguson.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I thought this photo makes an excellent point:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Man walks with cane for Mike Brown

Twitter user @BrijesONeal

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I wish I could be up there today.

For me the misinformation about the community along with all of the hatred spewed here breaks my heart. Ferguson has it's issues but it is not the out of control ghetto it is being painted as. The only serious problems in Ferguson are the LEO and their leaders.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Walkingsenseless
oh God. Rev. Jesse Nobhead is there now.

Am I the only one who thinks he is an asshole who generally will not help the situation?

A lot of people on the Twitter for #Ferguson feed seem to agree. They say he keeps asking them for donations.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

Me too. I hear ya.

Protestors are also laying down for Mike Brown at the scene of the shooting.

Twitter user @MrMillitantNegro

I hope no one is hurt tonight if/when police gear up better than Baghdad again.

ETA: I am seeing that a curfew has been issued from midnight to 5 am. Governor declares a
a State of Emergency in Ferguson. Twitter users are encouraging neighbors to stand in their yards with their hands up. Of course SO shared earlier what happens to people in their yards.

Tear gas

edit on 16-8-2014 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

There is a press conference and public meeting about this, I think it's live right now:

Link

The governor, Capt Johnson, and I think a Congressman are there. Listening to it and it's not going well.

Edit: Maybe it's not live. I had to reload the page and it started over.

edit on 16-8-2014 by ikonoklast because: Maybe it's not live. I had to reload the page and it started over.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I just read about the state of emergency. Tear gas in the front yards would be most uncool and a down right provocative thing to do, as we had seen from last week. But if State Patrol is in charge as we have all been lead to believe, all should be fine. We shall see.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: Myrtales Instinct
To YOU it may not matter that he had just robbed a store moments earlier and that he shoved some man who was way smaller than him, nor it may not matter to you that the two young gentlemen knew good and well what had just went down moments earlier when THEY decided to have a cocky attitude with the cop. We pick and choose our battles in this life and this young man picked a crappy battle because he was in the wrong from the get-go.

This is all kinds of wrong. To start with, YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT HE WAS GUILTY OF ANYTHING.

Neither did the police officer at the time. We still do not know that he was guilty of anything, because he wasn't afforded a fair trial before being summarily executed in the street.

You're justifying execution by a police officer on the suspicion of a crime. You are basically saying that you think it's perfectly fine for the police to be given powers of a judge, jury and an executioner based on nothing but an accusation.

You may as well throw out your entire social structure if you think this is even remotely right. Your society is based on the notion of innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, yet you think it's somehow "justified" for someone to be shot dead in the street by a man in uniform based on nothing but a suspicion of them being guilty of a crime?

This is completely insane, and it shows why your policing has become the nightmare that it has become. When you allow individuals to become so completely powerful that they feel entitled to end a life on nothing but suspicion, you have sunk to the lowest depths of societal depravity.

In no way do I condone execution by a police officer. But all the facts aren't in. What is insane is how people are refusing to look at point A and solely are focusing on point B. A jury of peers sure as heck won't dismiss point A and that is exactly how and why people are acquitted in this country. Then they want to protest handed down verdicts. There are many elements to this investigation, one of which is state of mind. I've done pointed out that Dorian Johnson was less than truthful in one of his interviews as he claims the events unfolded and I did that without even knowing or seeing the video of the robbery. The now added element of the video does nothing but raise more questions.

We can talk about state of mind now or later. It's all okay to talk about innocent until proven guilty but let us sweep any notion of reasonable doubt under the rug and hide it for a rainy day even when the star witness is being less than truthful. In a court of law lying statements impeach testimony.

You may want the answers to why an officer felt entitled to take a life, but I want to know why the officer felt entitled to talk in a derogatory tone to the two young men in the first place.

I also want to know why the two young men felt entitled to walk down the middle of the road, when there were sidewalks. And what was up with their attitude of entitlement that caused the officer to throw his car in reverse?

What about the 45 bucks in stolen cigars? Did big Mike feel entitled to them? If so, why? Why not just pay for them?

You only want the answer to the end of the equation. Where I'm looking for the truth.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ikonoklast

There is a press conference and public meeting about this, I think it's live right now:

Link

The governor, Capt Johnson, and I think a Congressman are there. Listening to it and it's not going well.

Edit: Maybe it's not live. I had to reload the page and it started over.

They stated that there is a curfew from midnight to 5 am. And yes that press conference did get away from them big-time.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

Thanks for the link.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008
For some strange reason I have the feeling that things are being orchestrated in the direction of being able to occupy and subdue Ferguson.

I think you're right.

CNN is now reporting:

Justice Department argued against video's release, source says

...Friday's release of the store-theft video by Ferguson police occurred over the objections of federal authorities, a law enforcement official told CNN on Saturday.

Ferguson police had wanted to release the video Thursday but held off when the U.S. Justice Department asked them not to, arguing that doing so would increase tensions in the community, the source said.

But Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson released it Friday

Given my previous post about connections, I get the feeling DOJ told the Ferguson police, "Whatever you do, don't throw that video in that briar patch." There is obviously a power struggle going on. And I think the DOJ would have to have known that if they told the Ferguson police not to release the video that would be the surest way to ensure the video would be released, and at the worst possible moment and in the worst possible way.

Then add some things last night, and it's destroyed all rapport that was established Thursday. Watching the news conference today, I felt sorry for Capt. Johnson. He did so well, but he was thrown under the bus. You can see it. He lost all credibility with the people, all leverage and good will that he worked hard to establish. And he knows it. He's trying to reestablish it, but the people feel betrayed. Not by him, but by the whole thing.

People are asking how they are going to enforce the state of emergency curfew tonight. For the longest time, no one would answer. Finally Capt. Johnson promised there would be no armored vehicles, no tear gas, just talk. I think he just got set up again with that, because I don't think he can stop such things if everything goes badly tonight.

From the look of the governor, I don't think he is in control either, and I think he knows it as well. I think things have been put in motion (and not by them) and this isn't going to be allowed to stop until it goes very badly. Just my feeling, but I think it was pretty obvious watching and listening to the press conference that Captain Johnson and the governor and the Congressman all know.

The people know it too. They were asking what will happen when the people who want things to be peaceful leave if the people who want trouble stay. And it was obvious they weren't talking about locals. People in the comments to the livefeed were saying this is now obviously a CIA psy-op.

You can see what's probably going to happen, it's like time slowing down as an accident happens. But I'm not sure any of the people who want to stop it will be able to stop it. So sad to see it coming.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It concerns me they are again trying to limit the media access so maybe we won't see. Press passes, staging areas...no no no. Not.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.

Damned if you release key information, damned if you don't.

Damned if you present enough force to stop rioting, damned if you don't.

I think the authorities should just pull back to outside Ferguson and let the chips fall where they may. I also do not think that any public monies should be made available for rebuilding either. The cost of rebuilding needs to come from Ferguson or no where.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Myrtales Instinct
What about the 45 bucks in stolen cigars? Did big Mike feel entitled to them? If so, why? Why not just pay for them?

It honestly looked like that was his intention to begin with, and something happened at the counter. He handed Johnson a box, and went back to speaking with the clerk.

Kid was barely 18 - became an adult near the end of May. He had a Driver's Permit (not license) that had expired nearly a year ago. Since he was buying tobacco, he needed to show ID.

~speculation~ Suppose the clerk refused based on the expired permit. ~speculation~

He got mad, reached over the counter for the box, and pulled away. In jerking away, some stuff fell out of the boxes onto the floor. Brown put back the larger box, and reached down to pick up the stuff on the ground. Johnson put his box back. The clerk moved the box off the counter, and Brown paused briefly with the smaller boxes in his hands before moving towards the door.

I don't think he intended to steal when he went in there. He very well may have actually stolen, though - the video certainly favors that conclusion over him paying for them. He certainly used force to move the shopkeeper trying to shut the door out of his way.
edit on 16Sat, 16 Aug 2014 16:53:36 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: permit, not license

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I lost the press feed when Clay was addressing the investigation and prosecution of Wilson.

Captain Johnson is on board with the community, Nixon is not. I have the distinct impression that Nixon is going to play a tough guy and throw all common sense to the wind. Nixon has more than one skeleton in his closet and he will tow the line for his own sleazy career and leave Ferguson smoldering and the rest of America pointing their fingers at the ghetto.

Given the relatively peaceful night, certainly peaceful in comparison to a week ago, I would suggest that the community get a bit more time to pull itself together. We saw an amazing act of residents protecting themselves and one another, they should have let that ride. But in this goose stepping world we now live in, I see policing ourselves as one of the greater dangers to those that compete for unbending rule over us all.

If Ferguson boils over into St. Louis there will be no stopping it without martial law.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

That concerns me also. Allowing the press would actually provide another layer of protection to the community. I say a press pass should allow for free movement without curfew.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The idea of Nixon playing to the tune only he hears really does bother me. It could also elevate this to spread in Missouri.

He actually HAS violated and allowed to be violated, outright Missouri law. Real ID was a very big one and a good many folks have never forgotten it. The issue wasn't the point, but his casual disregard for unambiguous law against what he went and did anyway.

I hope he doesn't decide to re-try chapters from a past that need never be imitated again.

new topics

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join