It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Army in Ferguson tonight! Sporadic Twitter/Facebook censoring of #Ferguson hashtag

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Yeah the occupy protests. They went on all over the country for how frickin long and accomplished just about nothing. That's what I predict this protest will do. You can ride around and honk horns all you want and no one will care to try and understand. I can only think of one thing that sounds the same in every language and makes its point quickly.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bundy

I can only think of one thing that sounds the same in every language and makes its point quickly.

A fart?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Can somebody fill me in ?
what's this all about ,how did it start?
thx
Human

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bundy

Yeah the occupy protests. They went on all over the country for how frickin long and accomplished just about nothing. That's what I predict this protest will do. You can ride around and honk horns all you want and no one will care to try and understand. I can only think of one thing that sounds the same in every language and makes its point quickly.

Really? That's a very interesting point of view. Actually, Occupy had support from workers in the financial market as well as a variety of School of Business. The people in the parks may not have accomplished a whole lot but I personally thought holding a sustained protest like that, given history, was kind of a bad idea. However, portions of Occupy are still active. Some splintered off to help the homeless. Others worked to prevent evictions. Occupy SEC did probably the most phenomenal thing and that was influence the discourse on the Frank-Dodd Act as well as pushing the SEC to start cleaning itself up.

www.economist.com...

Whether those in the parks were able to get anything out, they still helped frame the discourse. Even if you never heard about it. I'm an accountant. You bet I know what Occupy wanted and I'm planning on doing what I can to make sure that I don't become a part of the problem.

Anything else you want to talk about with me?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Can somebody please explain to me what exactly has been happening this whole time in Ferguson?

I understand that somebody was shot by police, and now this is the reaction?

is there more to it?

and if so, what?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
Can somebody fill me in ?
what's this all about ,how did it start?
thx
Human

Can somebody please explain to me what exactly has been happening this whole time in Ferguson? I understand that somebody was shot by police, and now this is the reaction? is there more to it? and if so, what?

How about the last 60+ pages? Did you read any of the discussion or skip right to the end asking for a synopsis?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen

i wonder where the Portland police is at?
I haven't seen a sign of them all the time ive been watching the stream.

They're almost seeming like they're trying to provoke a response and the original speaker is telling its time to end it. Good call on his part.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Stars for you! I agree completely. I just wish that she could show a bit of style, class and intelligence in her very public offerings. That sort of vitriol was really cool in middle school....have we as a society really not progressed any further than that?
There is a whole segment of society that appreciates a civil society where the discourse is civil, not riddled with moronic chants taken as expressions of freedom. Nothing cuts deeper than a well-turned, witty criticism.
This forum is an example of that segment that claims to appreciate those rules and yet we see people breaking those rules each and every day. But we also see a lot of civil discussion carried out without vulgarity. I appreciate that.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I just wanted to post this since its relevant to thread title and topic.

I just tried searching for "hands up dont shoot" on Google and you know how it gives suggestions based on popularity? Well when I started typing it in, there was no suggestion specifically for "hands up dont shoot" and I had to autocorrect it to "don't" with the apostrophe for Google to even register that I was searching for the movement.

More censorship?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

After hearing all the chants for a while tonight, I have to agree though I do think "hands up, don't shoot" does have a bit of oomph to it. As far as the vulgarity, I think that, after what she went through on the streets of Ferguson, the vitriol was probably something that she could not contain. It was pretty bad there.

Totally agree about civil discussion without vulgarities in most cases. I'm just cutting her a little slack because being teargassed is not fun, lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster
Can somebody please explain to me what exactly has been happening this whole time in Ferguson?

I understand that somebody was shot by police, and now this is the reaction?

is there more to it?

and if so, what?

BANG...unarmed teen shot by cop.

(fill in this space with going on 5 days of clusterbleep)

Story hasn't come to an end yet...but it's peaceful tonight.

Reading this thread, will give you the complete blow by blow (fill in that space) part....

Des

edit on 14-8-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The iconic image of tonight's protests, tweeted by Antonio French.

What a difference a day can make.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
We can give him a little more, Des, lol. After the teen was shot, he was left to lay in the street where all of his many, many neighbors could see his body and then they put him in a suv. That didn't go over well. Some protesting and some looting on the first night and then SWAT was called in the next day. People got teargassed in their own yards. Reporters for major papers were assaulted and arrested or shot at with rubber bullets and had tear gas lobbed at them. Papers got mad. Everybody got mad. Obama said "uhh, that's not good" and those things (aka SWAT) were put a stop to in Ferguson.
edit on 14/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: scghst1

Especially on the night where these mass protests are taking place. This isn't right, but people realize that now. There is a growing mass that realizes there is an ongoing suppression of data. The next thing people need to figure out is why?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kicked

I agree. I also just heard from some people I know who went down to NYC that the protesters and locals are claiming there is a geo-fenced media blackout of the protest. Obviously im not there to confirm but I am going to try and dig to see if any of their tweets or Facebook posts are actually getting through.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: scghst1
I just wanted to post this since its relevant to thread title and topic.

I just tried searching for "hands up dont shoot" on Google and you know how it gives suggestions based on popularity? Well when I started typing it in, there was no suggestion specifically for "hands up dont shoot" and I had to autocorrect it to "don't" with the apostrophe for Google to even register that I was searching for the movement.

More censorship?

Just tried it myself and even tried "hands up dont shot" and it still gave me appropriate results. Between that and my twitter feed never dying, my computer must be really special, lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Posting again to confirm.

An ACTUAL media black out is occurring in Times Sq. Hot Spots & Streaming Data down as arrests continue #HandsUp #Ferguson #OpFerguson #ows

From @Justinstoned

Link

# just found out one of the tweeters on @opferguson account was arrested in the times sq #handsup #nmos14 for #ferguson

twitter is not letting me send DMs to anyone i follow #OpFerguson #Ferguson

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Thats really really strange. I am running Firefox on Ubuntu 14.06. I swear this must be a geo-tag censorship at it's finest as I am from New York and there are people claiming there is a blackout occurring in NYC tonight.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
Let's be fair and get the cop tested as well---for all chemicals, including steroids.
And the autopsy report is a good question. How is it that the Connecticut medical examiner can do nearly two dozen autopsies on gunshot victims and step out and give a report in less than twelve hours and yet we've seen no autopsy report on this young man in several days now?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

The news that information is being blocked needs to be reported, by the mainstream. They did a lot today to facilitate the peacefulness of the protests and report on the growing militarization of the police. The good thing about this issue is that the growing mass is going to see which side of the fence these influential institutions sit on, based on what is being reported.

new topics

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join