It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole swallows car in Western PA, woman suffers injuries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

A woman backing out of her parking spot at a Pennsylvania salon got the surprise of her life when the car suddenly sank into the earth. As fast as it sank, water began to submerge the vehicle and lucky for her, she was able to climb out of the window before water overtook her. She suffered injuries and was brought to a nearby hospital. I know this isn't very newsworthy, because, you know, these sorts of things happen all the time, as they always have, but I thought I'd post it anyways...end sarcasm. All jokes aside, this sinkhole epidemic is becoming dangerous to our health, as there have been three known deaths in the past two years from sinkholes, and multiple injuries as well. Many of these have been documented here at ATS. The deaths were that of a man who sank in bedroom while he slept in Seffner, FL, a city worker in China who was walking along a sidewalk when it gaveway, and the Missouri hunter who died while hunting at night and fell into a hole. This woman could have very easily been added to the list.

Sinkhole swallows car; injures woman in PA

edit on 13-8-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The building and paving permits need to be investigated.

Wonder who signed off on those ?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A story like this makes a man look a bit differently at the ground which has always seemed so solid and stable.

It makes the point that it could happen to any of us just parking to get a tan.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

I heard this story on the radio as this is right down the road from me, the radio station 102.5 WDVE said that the shop owner saved this woman's life by pulling her from her car....This story mentions nothing of the shop owner doing this, so I am not sure if that was true or not....Scary either way knowing these things keep popping up all over the place!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This happened right after a severe rain storm came through the area.

JT

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Sinkhole epidemic! Far from it, they've been happening for decades! You only see them more because of the internet. Ten years ago you wouldn't have heard about this.

I live in Florida, sinkholes are the norm here.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

I thought it was women with blue hair?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Most of the State is a big sink hole waiting to happen with all of the coal veins and underground rivers flowing through. It's not any help that our local water supply lines are so old that they are wearing out and breaking to add to this mess.

Here is one on the Eastern side of the State that is slowly swallowing up a home near one of our major shopping complexes.
www.wfmz.com...

This one is still in litigation and is sinking further and further into the ground each day. The owners had to flee the home due to it being unsafe, but they are still having issues and paying on the property. Wish I could find the shot of it from now, it's still a hazard to the community.

Just google Sink hole in PA and you'd swear that the whole State is being sucked in.

A_L

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Why can't some company like Google or Microsoft do geoseismic scans using ground penetrating radar while they are photographing and laser scanning everything in sight?

We can't even get light railway systems built on the roads because they literally keep finding skeletons, old pipes, cabling, foundation stones over existing roads.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Sinkhole epidemic! Far from it, they've been happening for decades! You only see them more because of the internet. Ten years ago you wouldn't have heard about this.

Lol, nice try. They are happening way more than usual, even there in FL. Check around. When was the last time a guy collapsed into a hole while sleeping in his bedroom? Or, when was the last time an entire resort sank into the ground? Both of these events were last year. Not a decade ago, but last year. Those things must have happened prior to this, I just didn't hear about them because I didn't have internet.
edit on 13-8-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: another_lurker
Most of the State is a big sink hole waiting to happen with all of the coal veins and underground rivers flowing through. It's not any help that our local water supply lines are so old that they are wearing out and breaking to add to this mess.

Here is one on the Eastern side of the State that is slowly swallowing up a home near one of our major shopping complexes.
www.wfmz.com...

This one is still in litigation and is sinking further and further into the ground each day. The owners had to flee the home due to it being unsafe, but they are still having issues and paying on the property. Wish I could find the shot of it from now, it's still a hazard to the community.

Just google Sink hole in PA and you'd swear that the whole State is being sucked in.

A_L

And then there's Harrisburg. Constant sinkhole problems in that city. Google it and many stories come up.

join