It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploiting a mans suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I spent some time on youtube today and on the homepage I see this rather distraught looking face glaring at me:

Now a few things bug me about this video, the main one being if you're truly as distraught as this man claims he is, why is the first thing that goes through your head "I am upset over the loss of an icon and feel like I am about to enter a dramatic bout of tears....HUZZAH! I know, i'll film me at my most vulnerable moment! Truly I is smart."

Now i'm not here to debate whether or not he was truly this emotional, but the fact of the matter is the entire video was a mere 18 seconds long and all he does is remind people about how upset he is over Robin Williams' death.

It really does seem like he's using a mans death and (possibly) his own emotions to garner sympathy from the viewer. What really aggrovates me is that Robin's daughter Zelda is known for being familiar with youtube and the big channels, and this video was on the homepage. Now imagine how she must feel seeing this guy who is basically filming a reaction video to the news of her fathers suicide. That's right after the ad he has on the video, of course.

Personally I see it as an attempt to cash in on a celebrity's death and gain sympathy and attention. Obviously that's what the majority of media outlets do on a regular basis but to see a man use his own tears for personal gain just doesn't sit right with me.

Please comment and let me know what you think.
edit on 13-8-2014 by Deckard9645 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Deckard9645

Personally I see it as an attempt to cash in on a celebrity's death and gain sympathy and attention.

So why give it the oxygen of publicity then ?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Are you not exploiting it by writing this thread?
I have seen countless threads on his death and it makes me want to puke,everyone seems to be posting about it and cashing in for stars and flags in typical ats attention seeking fashion.
This is my first and last comment on this issue.

I hope you are just ranting and not looking for stars and flags.

edit on 13-8-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I feel you.

I'm am so sick of the mentality of today, with youtube, selfies, twitter and all the other BS.
Why does everyone feel they need to put every aspect of their lives, out for everyone else to see? And why are people so engrossed by what everyone else is doing, feeling, whatever?
Do people not have their own lives? Do they think they are so self important? AAHHH, sorry, getting angry about it all over again.

I'm sorry if this kid is really that upset. But I don't know you. Why do you feel the need to publicize this? (him, not u OP).

Arggghhh.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I want to hear others opinions about the topic, Another set of eyes can help shape and alter your view on subjects and I would like to hear what others thought. I assumed ATS would be a good place for this.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

How am I exploiting his death by writing a thread about my disdain for exploiting a mans death!?!? Like I said I wanted others to see what i'm seeing and let me know their opinion about it! By your logic every single thread ever written is exploiting the given subject.
edit on 13-8-2014 by Deckard9645 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I think you spend too much time on the internet.

Find an interest where you can use your mind.

(that's my opinion....you asked.)

edit on 13-8-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Why is it such a problem that I wanted to post about something that's been bugging me? What's the point in commenting if your only input is a snidey remark making wild assumptions about me?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I don't think it is wrong to 'exploit' or use the suicide of Robin Williams for an awareness campaign. The man made the choice to kill himself and had to know that it would be used in this way since he was a huge celebrity. Perhaps the awareness of depression and suicide is a final gift of Robin Williams to the world.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

It's like people aren't comfortable with their own company anymore and they have to post every emotion and thought they have because they just can't be alone.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Take it easy.

I was joking around.

It sucks Mr. Williams died but.....you are a hypocrite.

I won't make another reply on your thread.

(don't ask questions if you can't accept the answer.)

Take care.

RIP - Robin Williams.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I completely agree that his death can raise awareness about depression and show people how difficult it is to tell when somebody is at the end of the line. But filming yourself sobbing into a camera for 18 seconds isn't exactly benefiting anyone, least of all the uploader.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Everyone is impacted by death differently, even by celebrity deaths. While it may seem like he is using Robin Williams suicide as a platform to gain more followers on social media, that may not be the case. Or it could be he is saddened by what happened and exaggerating for the camera.

Now, as far as Zelda, Robin Williams daughter, here is a portion her statement in her fathers death:

While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.

To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh.

Linky

It sounds like the family is taking comfort in the fact that he was loved by millions and will be missed by millions. Some it may appear will miss him more than others.

Don't let it bother your day, if you see a thread on Robin Williams just scroll on by. I posted in a couple of the threads, not for stars but because I was saddened by his death and enjoyed his movies and comedy shows.

I'm not going to watch the video and give the guy more views so I'm basing this off of your OP.

edit on 13-8-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Okay fine, it's just the question I asked wasn't do I spend too much time on the internet and do I think enough? Your post was completely irrelevant to the topic, and i'm not trying to anger you or anything malicious, I just thought it was a bit harsh.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

That's Toby Turner. He doesn't need to exploit anything, he's already got millions of subscribers.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz
NM, don't want to derail this thread.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Interesting responses that you are getting. Just for the record, I don't see your thread as attempting to exploit for stars and flags at all (wth are stars and flags worth in reality, after all--nothin'!). Instead, I see it as a rather astute social criticism. Not giving the video anymore views though as I don't like "rewarding" this kind of behavior in a way that they are exactly looking for as Youtube allows you to monetize your videos so view could equal monetary reward in this case. Totally get why you linked it. Do you remember "Leave Britney aloooooooooooone? wah wah wah!!!!"? I think that was the first of its kind. You, however, did not exploit the event. Your thread is titled "exploiting a man's suicide". You don't even name him in the title and I popped in, pretty much knowing exactly what you were going to talk about.

Number one, I don't see making a thread to discuss either a social issue (ie depression, suicide, or sharing information about the icon's death) as being "exploitation". Those threads exist because they are sharing useful information about related issues as many are reeling in shock in regards to the man's suicide. For many, it was entirely unexpected and the death, itself, is newsworthy on many counts. Someone sharing an experience with running into the man via story and/or picture, an interview, or even simply stating, "wow, this hit me hard" is still "okay" because many are collectively grieving. Where it crosses the line is when it goes beyond simple exchange to vlogging and slapping it up on youtube. Having the impulse to type a few words--pretty normal. Deciding you need to film and upload your grief? Kind of weird but maybe that's just me.

Number two, I have no issues with vlogging though I think that sometimes we have a tendency to put too much weight and importance on our own opinions. We're one individual on a planet of 7 billion. We really need to get over ourselves. That said, I've vlogged but my vlogs were not about my "feelings" or "opinion". Instead, I was using them to share graphs and information that I was learning while in university because I thought that information was very important and the general public needed to know. I also jam packed them with links to very excellent sources. The opinion in that content? That I was concerned about these things. No more, no less. Very little fluff.

Vlogging if it is informative, factual, and actually has societal value--good. Vlogging to go on a rant or tearfest filled with emotional overload? Meh. I qualify the latter type in the same way as I do for those who take a picture of every darn thing they're eating, have to "check in" to say that they are filling up at a gas station, and more. Saying you had a bad day and explaining it to your friends? Excellent--that's what friends are for. Hanging it all out there for the world? Give me a break. Take a number and get in line.

Now why you got accused of doing the same thing and hit with claims of needing to get a life for actually dispensing a social critique on something that so many are heavily involved in--that's a whole other thread in itself, isn't it? Maybe it hit a little close to home for some.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I'm quite happy to take criticism and can accept when i'm wrong, but, without trying to play the martyr, I do feel a little bit singled out. This is my first thread and I didn't want to take on something political or anything that really splits people into groups, because I know I would get eaten up and, without generalising from the limited time i've had an account on ats i've noticed the newcomers do get it rough. There's this strange mentality that because your stats on a conspiracy site aren't very high, you clearly aren't as intelligent as I am, you don't mean what you say and are just pandering for stars and flags(which like you said hold zero merit in reality), and you aren't allowed an opinion. Oh and the only time it's acceptable to make an off-topic post that insults another member is if they're a noob.

I'm fully aware that someone will come out with the argument "Just leave if you don't like it then derrr" But the people that really do take the time to reason and not even agree with you, but give you an opportunity to have a respectful debate really make me want to become a part of this community.

I know this is essentially just a b****ing session but you're a pretty reasonable person who actually took the time to read my post and make an intelligent statement. Same thing goes chiefsmom, metallicus and jennyfrenzy who didn't necessarily agree with me but made a post regarding their thoughts of the topic, which is what I asked for.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Well, I'm sorry that this was your first thread and had this experience. There's always going to be somebody coming along, no matter whose thread it is or what the subject is about, that are going to say those kind of remarks. Don't take it too hard. I always welcome other people's views on different things that society does. I think that questioning our own behaviors is always a healthy thing. Plus this thread gave me a chance to make a dig at foodies. Especially those whose dinners look terrible. Seriously. lol

On a more serious note, I sometimes think that people take their opinions way too far, especially when it comes to death. There was somebody on one of those threads that was basically promoting a conspiracy and linking to blogs and whatnot in a possible tasteless example of self promotion. That irritated me along with a few other equally tasteless suggestions. What if it was their father in the news? How would all the postulation make them feel?

It's not just forums, social media, blogs and youtube either. I was kind of surprised yesterday to see one article by USAToday reporting on his suicide in heavy detail and just above it an article reporting on the furor on social media being generated about articles reporting his suicide in heavy detail. Really. That said, a lot of discussion is going to be going on because this particular man who committed suicide was really freaking loved. I was looking at the trendsmap the other night and it was really quite amazing to see his name trending across every continent (Russia, too) and even competing with ebola in W. Africa. I hope that his wife and children saw that, too, because that, to me, showed how much of an impact this one man had on the world.

Part of the reason why I took the extra time was because of the reception you were getting. It bothered me, too.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Exploiting can be so many things--trying to profit, some sort of gain, or utilizing a vulnerability to do harm.

The ugly side of exploitation: www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'd make a heated rant about this myself but it still works here. Some very sick people out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join