It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Florida Red Tide is Now 90 Miles Long and 60 Miles Wide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is interesting, ATS. There is a giant Algae bloom caused by the Karenia brevis algae when it blooms out of control. Well, that's happening now and it's growing.

Florida red tides do not seem to be affected by human activity. They have been observed off the Florida coast since the 1700s and usually start between 10 and 40 miles offshore.

But just because they occur naturally doesn't mean they are no big deal. K. brevis produces a toxin that attacks the central nervous systems of fish, birds, and marine mammals. Already, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports that thousands of snapper, grouper, grunts, crabs, bull sharks, lionfish, sea snakes, octopus, and eel have been found dead.

The red tide can also pose a risk to humans. Waves can break up the K. brevis cells, causing them to release their toxins into the air. The airborne toxins are not deadly, but they can be especially irritating to people with asthma or emphysema. And if the winds are right, they can travel as much as a mile onshore. The toxins in the water can also cause some people to develop a skin rash.

Is this Biblical prophecy coming true?

The second angel poured out his bowl into the sea, and it became like the blood of a corpse, and every living thing died that was in the sea.

What does Ats have to say?

www.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Red tides occur occasionally. It is a natural phenomenon.
I've seen the beach in Galveston ankle deep in dead fish.
Talk about an awful stench. Not the best time to take a girl to beach for a romantic evening.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I've read about the red tide on ATS for years every time it occurs.

It's a natural occurrence.

Get over it.

Yes it is unfortunate that it kills so many marine organisms and honestly... I can always remember that it usually starts off the coast of florida / california / those sort of waters... Natural occurrence.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Is this Biblical prophecy coming true?

Unlikely imo

The blood of a dead man/corpse? depends o how long he/she has been dead - dry blood goes black ... I always look to oil spill for that prophesy
just sayin

CD

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Lol
no, no prophecy here
just your normal case of red tide that happens all the time

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

What does Ats have to say?

Well when working for a dredge company in Fla a few years ago I had to get to work in and around it, and I can tell you this is nothing new and nothing to worry about unless you live near the water as it does not smell good and that is mainly due to the dead fish.

This is something most Floridians living near the water are used to and have learned to deal with it.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Lol
no, no prophecy here
just your normal case of red tide that happens all the time

Nothing to worry about except the smell and the dead fish, which does tend to make the seagulls happy when this happens.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Just a quick question. This red bloom... does it dssipate and become a food source later in its cycle or is it just straight up poisonous or "chocking" the fish out?

Always thought of algae blooms as a good thing so was just wondering.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
I've read about the red tide on ATS for years every time it occurs.

It's a natural occurrence.

Get over it.

Yes it is unfortunate that it kills so many marine organisms and honestly... I can always remember that it usually starts off the coast of florida / california / those sort of waters... Natural occurrence.

Yes, Red Tides are normal and typically a yearly event. However well they flourish is dependent on a number of factors. Coincidentally enough, I just posted a link the other day discussing the relationship between climatic oscillations and blooms. Basically, negative Arctic Oscillation (AO) and North Atlantic Oscillation seems to induce larger blooms. We're in a slightly negative AO and so the algae blooms are happy.

www.sciencedirect.com...

originally posted by: Terminal1
Just a quick question. This red bloom... does it dssipate and become a food source later in its cycle or is it just straight up poisonous or "chocking" the fish out?

Always thought of algae blooms as a good thing so was just wondering.

Red tides aren't generally a good thing because of the type of algae involved as they produce powerful neurotoxins that basically kill a lot of marine life and harm us as well if we eat a bunch of oysters.

PS. To the OP: No, it's not biblical unless every year is the Christian apocalypse somewhere on the planet. This bloom is just bigger than usual.
edit on 13/8/14 by WhiteAlice because: added ps

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm showing my age, but I've walked on Lake Michigan while it was frozen. We shouldn't fight nature. We will always lose.

Nature does some pretty cools stuff anyways!

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just because this algae bloom happens naturally many of you are using that as reason why a Biblical prophesy isn't related. But aren't natural disasters often attributed to an act of God?

What if this bloom eventually covers most of the fishing waters due to some environmental factors like ocean warming?

I wouldn't rule this out as a potential sign of a Biblical prophecy just yet.

new topics

top topics

join