It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Onesided Destruction of Christianity in America

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Agreed but it just doesn't work that way with anything.

The squeekiest wheel gets the grease and the biggest mole is the first to get wacked. You guys are the biggest and squeekiest so you enjoy the best and the worst there is to offer to large, loud religions.

It's not just religions, it's everything. Things that stay under the radar get neglected but they also don't get picked on as much. Your religion enjoys many perks because of its stature so getting picked on isn't exactly a deal-breaker.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Um... A cab company is a private company and manages the religious activities of its employees however it wants. That is, without the government's influence.

Your examples of christian persecution are hyperbole. First off a teacher in a public school is under government domain so that is certainly something that can be cracked down on because it isn't right or legal. You are going to have to produce evidence of Christian sports teams and prayer groups being cracked down on. It just looks like a bunch of anecdotal evidence to me.

In fact, please start sourcing your claims. You seem to be making many accusations of persecution against Christianity but haven't produced ANY sources or links to back those claims up. The one story I was familiar with, showed that you were HIGHLY exaggerating what was going on. So source your claims!

Woah! Can we revisit your beliefs on Hobby Lobby?

You mean this position?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's not about prevention, it is about an employer denying something that the government says should be given to all employees of all businesses that provide health care. Yes, these women can go out and still buy their own morning after pill, but the LAW says they shouldn't have to. The argument here is the employer denying their employees this part of the law that the rest of the country can take advantage of. It's about equality for all under the law.

Like I said, I don't agree with Obamacare, but until it is repealed and/or replaced, I will fight for it to be implemented fairly for everyone.

How is that at odds with my position in this thread?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Ok, this is the truth, I have known a Wiccan group who had 4 members commit suicide over the course of several months, then try and blame their problems on Christians and actually go so far as to (unsuccessfully) try and take legal recourse toward the Christians, who at the time the problems happened didn't even know the Wiccan group existed, and only after one of them (someone asked to investigate by authorities) investigated the spate of suicides and 2 additional suspicious deaths all lead to the Wiccan group found out about the group.

But I have also known Wiccan groups who were quite peaceful and were very nice/good people.

Should I then hold all Wiccan's to the bad I witnessed and say, why didn't other Wiccans step in and stop what was going on?

That is the standard you have set for Christians, if you agree we can hold all Wiccans to the standard of being responsible for the extreme Wiccan groups then you will be consistent in your argument.

However, I think you really agree with me that this group was an aberration and not to be held up as an example of all Wiccans.

Sorry Mods, I have seriously digressed from the OP. But I am defending the faith I think that as was pointed out in the OP has been much misunderstood and persecuted lately, and even to the point of being beheaded and their children sliced in half for their faith lately.

I'm not saying I hold all of them to the same level. I have good friends who are devote Christians, one being a youth pastor, and he's a very sweet man. His wife is wonderful, and their son will grow to be an amazing young man.
I had Muslim friends in high school.

I am friends with these people because they are good people. Your religion means nothing to me. And it will continue to mean nothing to me.

It doesn't surprise me anymore though when I hear about destructive things coming from religious groups. Because while people are trying to spread the word of their Lord, they are harming other people. I don't talk to anyone hardly ever about my religion, because I know as soon as I say "Yeah, I'm Wiccan." Someone's gonna say "You're the damn scum of the Earth. You're gonna undermine Christianity. You're a satanist." When it's really as simple as, "The Earth is my Lord."

Aside from your experience, how often do you hear about Wiccans causing a fuss in public? Hardly ever.
But, I'm not here to argue with you about that.

The people make the religion. And more than anything, more religions have become extremely cult-like. And a "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality. Which isn't what religion is about. If you don't want your religion to look bad on yourself or others, don't do harmful things in the name of your religion. It's as simple as that.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As I said later in the thread, Christians don't require anything to carry out a prayer but if it makes you feel better go ahead and demand a special room to pray in in public schools... no one will care one way or the other.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: grandmakdw

I have a problem with people who take extremists in any group and call them representative of the whole.

Yup.

Isn't that what you're doing to atheists?

Touche, but if you read my other posts you'd see that I imply if not say that anyone who holds extreme views
views that they hold so tight they get angry if others don't hold them
Those are the people dangerous to society as a whole.

There are atheists who live and let live and could care less if others worship ants, and are good people,

but if all Christians are held accountable for the Crusades and that crazy church and the crazy things extreme Christians do -

then by extension all atheists should be accountable for the actions of the ones who are trying to stamp out Christianity. Which is an absurd proposition.

What thinking like this leads to is what we are seeing today the beheading of Christians and little children all because of the propaganda that all Christians are ..... (what ever negative connotation you want to give)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

a reply to: Badgered1

There is no reason to believe that atheists will be less judgmental or hurtful if/when they are the majority.

Look at the issue of climate change. That has nothing to do with religion yet there are lots of people who want to kill everyone who doesn't believe in global warming/climate change. www.climatedepot.com... art-punishing-them-now/
People throughout history want to eliminate ideas they deem "wrong" by killing all the believers.

I think your assumption is incorrect. I see far more intolerance and projection of evil from non-believers onto believers than you can imagine.

It seems to me that those who profess the loudest to be tolerant are really the most intolerant of those who don't hold exactly the same ideas they do.

So here you are, proclaiming in later posts that people shouldn't judge any group by their extremists (which I agree), doing exactly that.

/sigh

What I am saying is that there is no group of people on earth that don't have people who take their ideas to the extreme.

Atheists have their extremists who are quite open about stamping out all religion. They are extremists, and can not be counted on to be nice to everyone once they have eliminated people who believe in religion. Not all atheists for sure and not the majority but there are some which you can not deny.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

it appears that atheists and the US government actually think Christianity is a threat to themselves and want to do away with it.

The irony is they appear to think Islam is not a threat with what appears to be support of Islam, while ISIS or ISIL is currently calling for the death of all non Islamics.

I don't know about atheists or the government, as I am neither - but I think ALL of the Abrahamic religions pose a threat to humanity at large.
(I'm an Agnostic Deist.)

So sad, because you are looking at only the extremists in each group, not the good all of these groups have done through the ages.

What about atheists, aren't they a threat to humanity? Stalin, Mao who systematically murdered all believers in their countries. Hitler was definitely not a theist, he murdered thousands of Jews, and Christians. I can account for million upon millions killed by atheists.

Hitler was an admitted Christian. Regardless of who he killed, he certainly believed in Christianity. The whole idea of a Third Reich is steeped in Catholic dogma. Not to mention his obsession with the occult.

Christian is a general term. Hitler was a ROMAN CATHOLIC.

Which does not negate the fact that Mao and Stalin killed tens of thousands or more in the name of wiping out "the poison of religion" within the pure communist dogma. Atheists are as likely to be inhumane toward people of faith as people of faith are likely to be inhuman toward the atheist. ALL of humanity who feel everyone must believe as they do or else, are guilty, the atheist, the religious, the politically entrenched.

This Christian bashing has led directly to what we are seeing in the middle east:
who cares that ISIS is beheading those awful Christians,
after all they ALL are homophobes and anti-abortion
who cares that ISIL is slicing little Christian children in half,
after all they might grow up to be homophobes and anti-abortionists,
better to be rid of them now.
The Islamist radicals see the poison spit out by the west about Christians and figure,
heck even the Americans and the West think all Christians are evil,
we are just doing the world a favor.

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: highlight

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: highlight unformatted, fixed format

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: same

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I agree and disagree. There are extremists everywhere you go. The "Atheists" you speak of should not be treated as a representation of all Atheists. I'm an Atheist and I think people should do what they want. If you want to be religious, fine, but I do think it should be in private, such as homes or churches. I don't, however, think it should be seen in our media, schools, political environments so on and so forth. Some Christians are just as bad with forcing their "beliefs" as some Atheists. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had the religious shove their pamphlets instructing how to find "God" in my face. Or all the time's the Atheist zealots condemning any and all religions.
I don't think there should be "God" posters, billboards, pamphlets, bibles sold in stores or Jesus marketed on T-shirts, crosses on jewelry etc. I feel as if as soon as someone discovers "God" it turns into a social orgy. Religion is just not as humble I suppose as it used to be. And by humble I mean not marketed in almost every store you visit, on the internet, TV or movies and music. Everyone should keep to themselves. Keep religion out of government, schools and public places. I do however think creationism should never be taught in a elementary/high school setting. If we want scientists, they shouldn't be taught the world is 6,000 years old at a young, inexperienced age.
I see religion as racism. You're Christian, he's Jewish, she's Muslim. I believe with religion forever present we will never have that sense of total community, rather, belonging to the human race. But, I have to admit, if religion disappeared, knowing the way our world works something else would take it's place in society, forever creating new believers and band wagon extremists.

edit on 13-8-2014 by InfinityandBeyond because: grammar correction

edit on 13-8-2014 by InfinityandBeyond because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

He wasn't whining about being a victim, he was calling out the hypocrites who do unto others what they tell others not to do.
He was exposing the hypocrites
He was showing those who are against Christianity, by how they treat it being biased not about religion in general, but biased against just Christian things.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Touche, but if you read my other posts you'd see that I imply if not say that anyone who holds extreme views
views that they hold so tight they get angry if others don't hold them
Those are the people dangerous to society as a whole.

Precisely.
It's when they "gang up" on other people that it becomes a problem.

PS: I've read all of your posts in this thread.

edit on 8/13/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

The people make the religion. And more than anything, more religions have become extremely cult-like. And a "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality. Which isn't what religion is about. If you don't want your religion to look bad on yourself or others, don't do harmful things in the name of your religion. It's as simple as that.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

But you can no more control what another group of Wiccans does, any more than I can control what any other Christian does.

The blaming of everyone for the actions of a few has led to such hatred in the world that even our government won't openly condemn the killing of christians just because they are christians.

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

This Christian bashing has led directly to what we are seeing in the middle east:

What?!!

NO. Just.....NO.
What we are seeing in the ME is the result of western forces trying to push their agenda on people who have been warring for centuries. And attacking them for "oil" or whatever reserves.

It has really NOTHING to do with "Christian bashing."
Wow.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So don't judge Christians by extremists (ah and you did it again with communists) but judge people concerned about AGW by their extremists... got it.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The beheading of little Christian children and every Christian they can get their hands on has absolutely nothing to do with oil, unless you think these Christians are directly related to "stealing" oil interests.

Some of it does. One can not go around telling everyone that a certain group of people are bad and bad for society and bad in general and think that extremists won't translate that into, "well no one will really care if we kill them or their children. The West will be grateful we got rid of them."

The ISIS/ISIL sees that in the western media and the western culture we export in the form of entertainment: Christians are called all kinds of awful things.

The Western culture is constantly bashing Christians.

Why would they not see the killing of Christians as acceptable to the rest of the world when the rest of the world's leadership and media constantly and consistently bashes christians as awful people?

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: bold

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: added a sentence

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

So don't judge Christians by extremists (ah and you did it again with communists) but judge people concerned about AGW by their extremists... got it.

It wasn't a judgement, it was a statement of fact.
Atheistic governments who have tried to wipe out religion - ie Stalin (communist), Mao (communist) and more have killed as many more than the Crusades ever did.
There was no judgement, just a fact that communists, and anti-religionists can be as cruel and evil as you are supposing Christians to be.

All of humanity has it in them to be evil and cruel and to hate others who don't think like themselves. This resides in all of humanity, all.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The ISIS/ISIL sees that in the western media and the western culture we export in the form of entertainment: Christians are called all kinds of awful things.

Why would they not see the killing of Christians as acceptable to the rest of the world when the rest of the world's leadership and media constantly and consistently bashes christians as awful people?

*Takes a very deep breath*

wow, gran.

Were you not paying attention when they were slaughtering other Muslims? When the West was/is killing civilians with 'drone strikes'?

The rest of the world's leadership is sickened by the warmongering (jingoism) of the US (and now the US's pal, Israel). It has nothing to do with "Christians" being criticized. It has to do with violence, force, control, and dominance (or threats thereof). Just like "Christianity" tries to do to many, many, many of its followers. SUBMIT OR GO TO HELL!! NOW!!

The extremists in the ME are warring against ANYONE who is not their brand of "Islam" (Sunni).
It certainly doesn't help that 'the West' is known to be financing some of their enemies.

edit on 8/13/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It has to do with violence, force, control, and dominance (or threats thereof). Just like "Christianity" tries to do to many, many, many of its followers. SUBMIT OR GO TO HELL!! NOW!!.

Christianity does not say to its followers SUBMIT OR DIE.

According to what I think you believe they are saying: is if you aren't a Christian then your soul is doomed to hell. (Ok, so what, if you don't believe in Christianity or hell, then just so what? Why do you care what they say, what harm have they actually done you, none, none at all. You can just go shake your head and say crazy loon if you wish.)

Saying someone may go to hell when they die is a far far cry from saying believe or DIE RIGHT NOW, or I cut off your head.

The Christian may be rude in saying that, but that's the worst that happened, they were rude and maybe a little verbally cruel. There is no comparison at all.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Did you just today get caught up on the IS/ISIS/ISIL thing?? Just today?
Yes, they are brutalizing Christians. They are ALSO brutalizing (far more) people who are not "Sunni." They are brutal savages who have NO REGARD for anyone except Sunni Sharia-Law types.

Why is Israel (the Jews?) bombing the feck out of Palestine? Does that have anything to do with "Christian bashing"?
No. No, it does not.

"the rest of the world's leadership and media" are "constantly and consistently" bashing Christians as "awful people"?

Yikes. No wonder you're frothing, if that's what you really think/believe is happening.

*backs away with hands up in surrender*

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The LAW is about government preventing the free exercise of religion and you just endorsed a business running itself according to religious principles.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join