It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Onesided Destruction of Christianity in America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonweld
a reply to: ChesterJohn

You forgot about those bastards who say x-mas, because you know that's one more group who is discriminating against you.

But you conveniently forget about how many times the self proclaimed "Christians" try to push their views on others.

www.thestate.com...

www.christianity-revealed.com...

Oh, and then there's the crusades. I could list hundreds of thousands of articles that contradict what you are saying, but there's no need because everyone knows the Christians are the worst at pushing their beliefs onto others.

Why don't you look in a mirror before you start to get angry at others for the exact same thing your "group" does. Pretty hypocritical IMO.

No, My friend I don't forget how overly aggressive SOME of the Christians are. I have not overlooked how SOME are pure Charlatans, I have not overlooked how SOME misled and even murdered their followers.

But what I see is that these so called were are against religion groups only focus one one Group.

they appear to be the weakest of the herd and more easier to fight against. The Christian message is not one that many like because it gives you only two outcomes for your choice. While the message of most Eastern Religions give you room to have it all. Islam will present one message with only a few choices, Convert, Pay or Die.

If Any of these Anti-religious groups even raise a little of the same they give to the Christians today, their very lives wold be threatened just like the South Park writers and producers were.

I don't care what they have done or will do. Either get on with the truth of Equality of all religions to practice in the public or all not to be able to practice in public. Otherwise they are just Hypocrites.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I have a problem with people who take extremists in any group and call them representative of the whole.

Yup.

Isn't that what you're doing to atheists?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Humanism is not a religion. It's possible to be a humanist and a Christian. You can see the same sort of thought in the popular (and not at all biblical) phrase, "God helps those who help themselves."

Please cite some sources for your claims:

Teachers are barred fro m having a Bible on their desk but in the same school teachers are allowed to have a Koran on their desk with no opposition.

The fundamentals of Transidental Meditation, without the mention of the which religions use the practice, are taught our kids from Kindergarten. All the while the images if Gautamah Buddha and Hari Krishna adorn the literature books that are used to teach this to the students.

As to this:

Over a year ago the FFRA protested flag pole prayer buy a Christian Bible club at the school because "it gave the impression" the school was supporting Christianity.

Yet at the same school Muslims were allowed to have set aside separate rooms for prayer times so Islamic students didn't have to miss the call to prayer. And they are exempt from their classes while at prayer. But a club can't pray around the flag pole?

I wasn't aware that there was a requirement in any Christian denomination to form a school club to pray around a flag pole? By contrast, there is a religious requirement for Muslims to pray I believe, 5 times a day? Can you point to any instances of Christian religious requirements not being met?

I think in your desire to make everything tit-for-tat, you're mistaking sensible handling of religious needs with persecution.

If you are not aware of requirements as a Christian then you need to read their Bible. they are to pray everywhere, they are to read and study their Bible, they are to do many good works.

But you hit the point if one group can practice their religion at school, and other groups can practice forms of their religion at school, then why can't Christians be able to practice their religion at school?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Either get on with the truth of Equality of all religions to practice in the public or all not to be able to practice in public. Otherwise they are just Hypocrites.

Maybe practicing in public (especially when at least SOME of the "public" that are present are not all keen on the ideas) is the problem.
Can't they keep it private?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You know, I look at the story of Jesus, how he was considered a conjurer of demons, and preached about how one should believe in God, being considered a heretic by his very own people.

And how he got brutalized over it, and having stones thrown at his bones, or stick like whips lashing against his skin, yet he didn't complain...once.

Yet, you look at the modern followers, and sticks and stones break them, while names definitely hurt them.

edit on 13-8-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Yet over the last year, I have not seen these supposed anti-religious groups attack any other religion except Christianity.

So why is that?

US Atheist Group Targets Muslims and Jews

When was the last time you saw a concerted effort to place Talmuds or Books of the Dead in every hotel room in the country?
When was the last time a group of Muslims or Buddhists had an organized, official prayer at a sporting event?
When have you heard of a National Cemetery erecting a huge Star of David?
What books did the Navy just ban from their lodges? Bibles. WHY? Because Christians put them there. No other religion demands that their holy books be distributed in this fashion.

The ONLY reason people are pushing against Christianity is that Christianity pushed first. People are pushing BACK at the pervasive thrust by Christianity to be involved in EVERYTHING. Christians are pushing their beliefs in law (gay marriage is just one example) and people are simply sick of it.

If Christians want to be respected by the rest of society, they're going to have to back off - or else be pushed back.

When was the last time you had to sit in a cab while Muslim cab drivers stopped their cabs in the streets of NYC to pray for 30 minutes. I lost a client because of that nonsense. It happens every day. why don't you hear about it is because the Media is afraid of them. But you will always see an AP story about how some Christian sports team, or teacher, or prayer group has just got to be stopped because it is just not right or legal.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
a reply to: Badgered1

There is no reason to believe that atheists will be less judgmental or hurtful if/when they are the majority.

Look at the issue of climate change. That has nothing to do with religion yet there are lots of people who want to kill everyone who doesn't believe in global warming/climate change. www.climatedepot.com... art-punishing-them-now/
People throughout history want to eliminate ideas they deem "wrong" by killing all the believers.

I think your assumption is incorrect. I see far more intolerance and projection of evil from non-believers onto believers than you can imagine.

It seems to me that those who profess the loudest to be tolerant are really the most intolerant of those who don't hold exactly the same ideas they do.

So here you are, proclaiming in later posts that people shouldn't judge any group by their extremists (which I agree), doing exactly that.

/sigh

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
christians can pray anywhere they want. read your bible and discover how jesus taught you how to pray. one of the apostles also instructs you to pray without stopping...
you just want to be like the pharisees and saducees
in public where you will be noticed
christ knew his new church would be soon persecuted and put to death if they were not careful so he was careful to teach his church not to be too overbearing within society
because if they acted like many of today's christians the lions would have ended up gorging themselves to death much sooner and for a much longer period of time

live and let live!

Live and let live is the point. Either let them all live equally or get rid of all religion in public schools.

You sound like a real Bible scholar.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Not a Week goes by when we don't read or hear of another Atheist Group trying to force its views on Christianity.

Not a Week goes by when we don't read or hear of another Christian Group trying to force its views on America. (see what I did there?)

It's a two way street man. We got people protesting abortion clinics. The WBC protesting funerals of fallen soldiers.
Religious groups protesting books they don't like. Music they don't like.

If you can't take the heat. Get out of the kitchen.

Yeah like the previous poster said. Live and let live. they can't force anything one anyone you are mistaken.

edit on 13-8-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

No one seemed to mind about the 50 shades of Grey was placed in hotel rooms.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Um... A cab company is a private company and manages the religious activities of its employees however it wants. That is, without the government's influence.

Your examples of christian persecution are hyperbole. First off a teacher in a public school is under government domain so that is certainly something that can be cracked down on because it isn't right or legal. You are going to have to produce evidence of Christian sports teams and prayer groups being cracked down on. It just looks like a bunch of anecdotal evidence to me.

In fact, please start sourcing your claims. You seem to be making many accusations of persecution against Christianity but haven't produced ANY sources or links to back those claims up. The one story I was familiar with, showed that you were HIGHLY exaggerating what was going on. So source your claims!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
just goolge for the sources you have fingers don't you?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo
Christianity is the brightest on the radar. It's unfortunate but I am confident they are singled out by atheists the most simply because of their influence on society. If Christianity didn't exist, the focus would be on whatever religion had influence and power over our politics and laws.

You are not being persecuted. You are the bull in the china shop among several small animals. So when the shop owner begins to complain about animals, he'll probably complain about the bull the most.

It should be against all religions equally or not against any.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Just present the sources! You have them at hand don't you?
It's your OP. Back it up. And make sure your sources are not Fox or TheBlaze...because those don't count. Sorry.

edit on 8/13/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

The onus of proof is on the one making the statement, NOT his readers. Plus I've already demonstrated once, right here, that you are exaggerating and distorting the truth with your claims.

Burden of proof

"Burden of proof" or in Latin, onus probandi, is the obligation that somebody presenting a new or remarkable idea has to provide evidence to support it

edit on 13-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

It should be against all religions equally or not against any.

Correct. I starred that post. Keep all religions "private" - and out of business (whether "closely held" or "publicly held") and government altogether.

edit on 8/13/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

And you're missing the point. Christianity is NOT being banned anywhere and people are not asking for Christians to be denied their 1st Amendment rights. What people are asking and some even intensely demanding, is that it not be in our laws, in our faces and on our bodies anymore. Christians can pray wherever they damn please whenever they please but what they can't have, causing all kinds of certain Christians to boohoo, is a government giving them a nod to do so!

Christians can bow their head in school, what everyone else has a problem with is a teacher or principle leading the prayer, but students are certainly allowed to do it on their own. You don't need a room to do it in but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and demand one... NO ONE WILL GIVE A FK!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
Plenty of people are starting to see this, OP. There are some holdouts who haven't realized the bigotry yet, and they tend to be the most vocal and focused. These tend to be the people that most associate with atheism, much like many associate the vocal fanatics of Christianity with the entirety of the religion. When that is brought up, the response tends to be "oh, I know its not ALL of them," and then they will just continue generalizing and attacking.

The issue compounds when participants from each side clash more and more, all the while each "side" can't see the errors in their ways by attempting to convert and subdue the other. It seems more important to prove each other wrong, ideally with as much condescension as possible, than do anything productive about the issue.

I can't say I agree with everything in your OP, but focusing on those would be asinine. It needs to be understood that both sides of this equation are responsible for the situation, but like anything else, the last place most will look for responsibility is in the mirror. Its much easier to blame some scapegoat.

TL;DR. Zealots on both sides are responsible for what is happening, and they are creating an environment where people feel forced to pick sides.

Very well said Serdgiam. I fully agree with your observations.

I just wish the AP would stop using these events for news stories or at least point out the hypocrisy in the groups practices more.

Thanks for a very sane and sober comment.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

No one seemed to mind about the 50 shades of Grey was placed in hotel rooms.

One hotel in England did that.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Badgered1
I don't see it as one-sided at all. What I do see is Christians getting upset when any other religion wants any kind of parity with Christianity. What I do see is the systematic infiltration of society, government, and law by Christians trying to impress their belief system on others. What I do see is Christians misquoting the 'founding fathers' when trying to justify their position in society, government, and law. What I do see is billions of unpaid income, and property taxes by religious organizations. What I do see is 41,000 versions of Christianity all claiming to be the right one.

How do American Christians feel about Sharia? Ooh, no! It's terrible, eh?
And yet they constantly press for their own doctrines to be incorporated into society, government, and law.
Double standard? Ooh, no! "Founding fathers" etc. etc. etc.
Sound familiar?

I don't believe in any deity. Any of them.
I have a suspicion that the God of the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims is the same one. Different stories. Different cast of characters. Different ways of worshiping. Same result every time.
But not YOURS. YOUR god is better than all the others, right? Says so right there on page one of the Ten Commandments. YOUR Middle-Eastern religion makes so much more sense than all the others, right?

Please religious people, look at history and find some comfort that when (and I mean WHEN) your religion is in the minority we atheists won't treat you the way you treated us for centuries.

We are not persecuting. We're not destroying. We are protecting ourselves from mythological nonsense.
The destruction is coming from within your own ranks.

Who said I was Christian?

You can't read that for it is not in the OP.

The point is these anti-RELIGION groups collect money on claiming to be for freedom from religion but then only focus on one religion.

BTW for all the folks out there.

The Crusades were waged by ROMAN CATHOLICS and none of the other Christian sects. Yet ALL Christians suffer for what the RC did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join