It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robin Williams, Depression, and Suicide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: samstone11

Nope, not trying to be offensive. Some people are just trying to be offended.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I think a massive issue with depressed people is they assume everyone else has no idea what it feels like.

That's because unless you've suffered from it yourself you probably don't..

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: B2StealthBomber

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I think a massive issue with depressed people is they assume everyone else has no idea what it feels like.

That's because unless you've suffered from it yourself you probably don't..

Ah and there were go yet again - another person who assumes that we all don't suffer from depression.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Or maybe it's because your ignorant, it's very easy to sit back and say how easy something is when you haven't experienced it yourself.

So say if I punched you in the face and then said try not to think about it, do you think you could do that?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: samstone11

Some people you will never reach. That's the truth and it's ok. There are some here that have blamed many things on not being able to find a job, a car, a place to live, etc. So the mentality to quit blaming everyone and everything else for your issues is a little hypocritical. I haven't seen anyone blame anything for the way they feel, or anyone reach out for pity. But I suppose perception is reality and we all perceive things differently.

I think many people think about those who threaten to commit suicide every other day if their boyfriend leaves and whatnot when thinking about depression. That is not what severe depression is or bipolar. Those issues are the ones where loved ones find their loved ones in just the same situation as Robin Williams. They don't generally threaten to do it. They just do and it's done. They struggle within themselves and most never know. So I am not sure what kind of depression these folks have seen in their life to write it off and be condescending about it.

Yes. Everyone gets depressed. Everyone has lost someone that left a void that they weren't sure how they were ever going to fill it again. That's normal and part of life. A chemical imbalance is not something one can just throw off. I'm also not sure why anyone could think that someone committed suicide just because it was something fun to do at the moment. When someone says just get the &$%# over it, then that is what they are saying.

Up until this instant I had not really broadcast my bipolar, and I did not do it to seek any sort of sympathy at all. I hate pity and no one needs to throw any my way for any reason whatsoever. I did it so others would know they aren't alone. It can be easy to feel that way when you are in the darkest parts of yourself.

You can't reach everybody though and that is ok. Hopefully they will live their entire lives and not know what it feels like. I would not wish it on anyone.

I hope your situation improves. You sound like you have fight in you and you have faith. Both of those will be what saves you. Trust me... I know.

edit on 8/12/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: Self edited because it was the right thing to do...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Or maybe it's because your ignorant, it's very easy to sit back and say how easy something is when you haven't experienced it yourself.

So say if I punched you in the face and then said try not to think about it, do you think you could do that?

Oh yes, I'm so ignorant. You are just yet another person who thinks that we don't all suffer from depression. It's like depression is your religion.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Its all trauma dude.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well once again I'm finding myself seeing things from multiple perspectives. I've taken on roles that members in this thread are taking, and they conflict from one to the next, having been expressed at different periods of my journey through life.

I get the: depression is depression point of view.

I get the: you have no clue what you're talking about, kid point of view.

The former has had some sort of depression, and thinks it's all the same. A simple/naive mind.

The latter has experienced the former, where it's not much of an issue, and you can will yourself to shift out of it. They've also had "major depression"... the kind that can't be willed out.

I had pretty bad sitautional depression. Little bro died. I tried to supress the feelings, and that lasted a while, but eventually I came crashing down. The depression lasted for a few years, and damned if I didn't try everthing to get myself out. I will say in my case that "time" wasn't all that had to pass, I had stressed myself out so much that there was some nutritional balancing in order, plus a ton of time, emotional healing... pretty much long-term integrative apprach that slowly got me out.

I still have issues, but perspective really helps. This is just situationally severe depression. The individuals who can't figure out the cause, I really feel for.

Here's what I know for sure, we just don't know until we at least have an inkling, and feeling down a little here and there is not an inkling compared to what major depression people are experiencing. My mom, for example, always had the "snap out of it" mentality, until her son died. Eight years later she's still crushed, though functional to some extent. She gets it now, and has a respect for major depression sufferers. It's a valid feeling. All feelings are valid.

I got problems empathizing when things are going rather well for me, and I'm a bit hypomanic. So I can relate to the unrelaters as well LOL! Just trying to say, there's a reason why we all perceive, act, and feel as we do.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thank you. Your points are well presented and I agree totally. I don't wish any ill will towards those who don't understand and if they are lucky, as you said, hopefully they will never have to comprehend the worst of depression through first person experience. However, should someone they deeply care about succumb to this disease, I hope they are more compassionate than what I have seen here.

Thanks again for your input.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Depression isn't a disease - stop with the cop outs.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Actually this is the first time it's ever been mentioned by me on these boards.

Everybody does have depression at some point in their lives, but the great thing for most people is that they can go back to normality after.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

We are not wanting to be confrontational. You base your entire observation on conjecture and assumption, not facts of any kind. Would you like to be condescended to because you obviously suffer from the very small man-part syndrome? I only used speculation there because that is exactly what you have been doing. I will go ahead and apologize for that statement, it was only an example of what you are doing. Stick to facts you can demonstrate or don't waste our time on a very serious issue. You can say you disagree, just don't insult others in the process.

As has been said above, I sincerely hope for your sake you never experience the depths of this disease first hand. As much as I don't care for your comments, I would not wish the despair of depression on anyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Actually this is the first time it's ever been mentioned by me on these boards.

Everybody does have depression at some point in their lives, but the great thing for most people is that they can go back to normality after.

I agree wholeheartedly. I know full well that there are degrees of depression, but already in this thread a member has posted that the death of a loved one isn't as bad as 'clinical depression'. Well, as much as I agree about degrees of depression, I simply will not sit idly by while these adherents to the new Religion of Depression have huge sooky group wanks about how awful their lives are as though everyone else has it so good.

They are likely sitting there reading my posts and thinking that I am arrogant and stubborn - I would ask them to see that in themselves.

edit on 12-8-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: samstone11

You base your entire observation on conjecture and assumption, not facts of any kind...Stick to facts you can demonstrate or don't waste our time on a very serious issue...I sincerely hope for your sake you never experience the depths of (depression) first hand...I would not wish the despair of depression on anyone.

Nope, sorry. I base my point of view on my vocation in the medical profession, sound epidemiology, those around me and my own experience.

I have experience the depths of depression - everyone has. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, either, but that isn't going to stop everyone from experiencing it.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I trust you're not mistaking my words, and are talking of another member. I read most of the thread, and didn't catch that. Maybe I glanced over it.

I get the depression is not a disease thought process. I've had that same view towards substance abuse as well. Without violating T & C, let's just say I had issues, and every sign of being an "addict" before going cold turkey. Well I did have a kind of breakthrough, and ended up willing myself out new years day. Been 100% sober since then.

So I go onto this board for addicts in recovery, and I don't much relate. I started off feeling that addiction wasn't a disease, and that these people simply have little willpower. I still feel that way sometimes. Thing is, I keep hearing these horrific stories. I never had hallucinations and seizures in withdrawal. I'm aware we all have different chemical makeups, and neurobiological wirings. After a bit of perspective taking, and deep thought, I'm coming around.

Now, the term gets to me. Thinking of depression, or substance abuse as a disease, it's still offsetting. What else suffices, though? To think that people can will their selves out of these conditions in all circumstances, is just not correct. These people are genuinely suffering. I see physicists, entreprenures, doctors, lawyers, people who seem successful, high minded, and in control with nearly everything else in their lives, and yet they have this inability to quit. Why would this not be the same with depression? Something they just can't not have going on in their psyche's?

Having said that, I think a defeatist mentality is no good. Thing is, that's how non-sufferers view it. They can't see that these individuals have already been through years of trying everything they can imagine. They are down to accepting their condition, and see it valid to term it as a disease. I think all people who are diseased should keep with trying something else or another as they have the will/energies. Easier said than done. It takes not only will, but monies often times. You have to keep experimenting sometimes for many years on end before something shows positive results. I tried dozens of things before something started to help out.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

edit on 12-8-2014 by DelegateZero88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DelegateZero88

What about when you fail yourself?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Wait. You're in the medical profession?! What do you do?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Part of the reason depression and substance abuse problems have to be classified as diseases is for insurance purposes. (At least in the United States.) With therapy and medication management running thousands of dollars a year, you can't get help unless insurance covers it or you are wealthy enough to pay out of pocket. Insurance isn't going to cover something that's not an illness with a diagnosis code.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join