It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid meteor shower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Perseid Meteor Shower Tonight: Make the Most of a Moonstruck Show

uesday night's peak of the Perseid meteor shower comes just after the brightest full moon of 2014, but it's still well worth watching for, says one of NASA's top experts on shooting stars. You just have to know where and when to watch. The nearly full supermoon will be glaring in the night sky during the annual spectacle's peak, from after midnight until dawn — but Bill Cooke, head of the Meteoroid Environments Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, says that's still prime time. "I think it is better for folks to watch for Perseids in the pre-dawn hours, rather than try to catch an Earthgrazer early in the evening," he told NBC News in an email. "Earthgrazers are very rare, even during the Perseid shower, and you will see vastly more meteors around 3 a.m. local time, despite the nearly full moon."

To all the star watching members out there don't forget about the meteor shower tonight. I missed the super moon due to it being cloudy last night so hopefully it will be clear tonight.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
thanks for the heads up really looking forward to it.a reply to: buster2010

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Don't think I'm going to see it here been raining for days

But thankfully got to see the super moon through a break in the clouds tho

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm in the uk (its 01:37), saw your thread so took a look outside, straight away saw a lovely purple-red streak

Perfectly clear sky and the moon is very bright.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Yes good conditions in the UK apart from the bright moon. I saw a nice bright orange fireball which left a trail, plus half a dozen other meteors in the space of about 20 minutes. Not a huge show but worth watching.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48
a reply to: VoidHawk

Yes good conditions in the UK apart from the bright moon. I saw a nice bright orange fireball which left a trail, plus half a dozen other meteors in the space of about 20 minutes. Not a huge show but worth watching.

I hoped to get a photo or two but my camera (on my phone) darkens the image because of the moon

Havent seen a fireball yet, and my necks hurting from looking up LOL

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I swear, every meteor shower this year has been foggy or overcast where I live. The weather conditions have been beautiful for weeks, then last night the fog rolls in. Such a bummer.

Hopefully you guys get a show or at least get to see a few!!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I went out on the 10th when I heard there was going to be a supermoon, but it just looked ordinary to me. It just hung up there in the sky, no super powers or anything. No werewolves even. I looked to the north-east, trying to catch some meteors (not literally,) but I didn't see any. So perhaps tonight will be a better time for me to try to see something. Is north-east the correct direction to look? I am in the southern US. I wonder if UFO sightings increase around these times? Not necessarily because there is anything out of the ordinary going on, but rather because so many more people will be looking skyward. Makes sense that this would be the case.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's been pouring. Didn't notice the supermoon but then again it's always clear and huge up here.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I looked up
what a treat!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
To cloudy here in Ontario
it was starting to clear a bit then as soon as it got dark they rolled in again.
edit on 13-8-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join