It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons why I don't believe in the christian god and bible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Religious people in general are close-minded,uneducated and esspecialy intolerant,that is why over 90% of human wars and atrocities were made for religion.....

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: PaulTheDuke

Religious people in general are close-minded,uneducated and esspecialy intolerant,that is why over 90% of human wars and atrocities were made for religion.....

I'm totally open to constructive criticism in all topics and especially religion, but when delivered with an arrogant, holier than thou, "we're the chosen" and "people like you" should be grateful we even acknowledge your existence attitude; it just pisses me off. Seems to be the prevailing attitude on ATS as it slips further and further to the right and more Biblical, Fundamentally, focused.

I like the debate and the exchange of ideas but I definitely don't like being talked down to by some self appointed authority figure.

You know who you are.....

edit on 13-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I have exactly the same opinion like you,i have nothing against religions,but if they are coming to me to force me to believe in them because the fires of hell will torture me afterlife....I feel amused or I think that they are naive...
If you are from Romania(looking at your name makes me think of that) you probably know some cases in which religion teachers at school terrorized kids with hell if they do bad things.After the class they were crying.
THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PaulTheDuke

Whenever Jehovahs witnesses and Mormons knock on my door i invite them in, offer them a meal, tell them im not religious but if they feel compelled they may be able to change my mind but that they should bring their A game because i don't accept hearsay and coincidence as evidence,if they're not up to the task, that's ok too and they should call me the next time they plan on visiting so i have time to cook a proper meal. Especially with the Mormons since the missionarys live on meager allowances and get most of their meals from kindness

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I hate people who are fanatics,esspecialy on religion and politics,and if this 2 "categories" marry,something haaaarsh and disgusting will happen.Those Mormons you speak they look like some people who just expose their idea,but thy aren't force you to believe it.
I like their way! If every religion would be like that,then this world would be a little better

Peace!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Yes, every Mormon i've met are very polite and don't try to force anything on you.
they will sit and talk with you for hours as well

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

God created everything in 6 days. For this to be true, humans and dinosaurs would have to have been living at the same time. Before some of you chime in with something like "one of God's days is many of our years" God is supposed to be omnipotent,omniscient,omnipresent and have made everything, time included, surely it would've known how we would measure it and tell the story accordingly. No explanation for this has or will ever change my mind.

I don't mind you having you own opinion about Christian Theology, but at least represent the text accurately. If you'll look into the Hebrew of Genesis and pay clear attention to the rules of Hebrew grammar and syntax then you will see that the most accurate translation of Genesis 1:1-3 is "When God began to create the heavens and the earth/Now the earth was without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep And the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters/And God said, 'let there be light' And there was light"

The first and second verse appear to be backgrounding verse 3. Meaning the first act of creation mentioned in Genesis is verse 3. Also take a look at verse two. The word "Now" implies that earth existed in one state but something happened to make it formless and void. God is hovering over the waters after this calamity, and in verse 3 he begins to reform the earth. Genesis 1 even implies that When God began making the heavens and the earth he was using pre-existing matter.

As for a six day creation, well I highly doubt it was six 24 hour days. You know how in English one word can have multiple meanings? For example, the word "miss" can mean:

fail to hit, reach, or come into contact with (something aimed at).

notice the loss or absence of.

It can also be the title for a women.

The same thing happens in other languages. The Hebrew word "yom," which is what we translate as "day" in Genesis 1 can mean a period of 24 hours or it can also mean an age-undetermined amount of time. So I would say its probably not six 24 hours days.

The entire fall from Eden story. God is supposed to be omniscient. why would it create a scenario knowing what would happen and then punish the created for it? If this is true, God is a sadist.

God creates Humans with Free will, and allowed them to make their own choices even if they were mistakes. God didn't create the scenario for the fall, but other beings God created chose to cause the fall by taking advantage of our ability to choose. The fact that God allowed that to happen doesn't make Him Evil nor does it mean that He isn't omniscient. It simply means He allowed us to choose between trusting Him and trusting the Serpent. This choice remains for us today. Only rather than tempting us with a fruit Satan now has all kinds of tools at his disposal. Religion being one of his best tools for causing others to drift from God. God only punishes the wicked. You and I are both wicked in comparison to the standards required to live in Heaven. No man could pay the price for our sins, so God sent his Word and it became flesh and paid the wages due our sin. This choice by God was his way of expressing a gift of grace. Now that Jesus has paid our price, all that remains is to choose to follow God and accept his Son into your heart, or to choose to follow the world. Let me ask you this if God is Good and completely Just could He force you into His presence forever against your will?

I am not going to respond to all of your questions as most of them are just misunderstandings of theology. Why don't you look into the Bible honestly for a little while. The prophecies and all that Jazz and come out with a clear understanding of what others believer or possibly find a Truth that could change your life.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

To me God is neutral,understands what you are, and lets you live accordingly. It doesn't need a temple or a shrine or a church because It is everything and It will certainly never need you to kill someone for it or want you to give bits of metal and paper in its name.
That isn't God, it is just nature, and it is neutral, meaning it doesn't care if you live or die, or what happens to your soul when your physical body perishes, as long as it gets to recycle the material components.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

over 90% of human wars and atrocities were made for religion…..

What were the religious issues that World War II were over? World War I? Vietnam? The Spanish American War? Civil War? Revolutionary War? The Hundred Years War?

An actual study on the role of religion in war (read it here) found that, using a scale of 0-5, with zero being "no religious aspect" and five being totally about religion, in all of recorded history, there were only three conflicts that were "all about religion", and the vast majority had scores of zero. The Arab Conquests, the Christian Crusades and the Wars of Reformation. That's it.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

I am not talking only about wars,during the entire history the mankind couldn't evolve because of religion,esspecialy the christian one.The Inquisition,a big atrocity example and the way scientists in the middle ages were killed because their discoveries were against the Church.
Nowadays in the middle-east they are torturing womans,esspecialy fanatics muslims there because they consider that that womans bring the sin,the Jihad(the holy war Is called,I think so) the terrorists takes children,esspecialy babies and they train them for killing,telling them that if they kill christians or other people belonging to other religions except islamic in the name of Allah they will do something good.There are also videos over the internet where fanatic muslims are executing people,their own people esspecialy,in the name of Allah.

I say once and for all,religion and politics are the biggest # mankind ever created.If this 2 marry each other and create ideas,something very,very harsh and painfull will happen,both physically and pshological.The best political system is the one in which there is peace forever,in a world whitout moeny,the money is the root of all evils if we are talking on high standards(we kill for money,destroy the environment for money,consume the resources for money and so on).Unfortunately,there is no poliics like that.

Peace!

edit on 14-8-2014 by PaulTheDuke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The Inquisition,a big atrocity example and the way scientists in the middle ages were killed because their discoveries were against the Church.

You do know that the number of people killed during the centuries long Inquisition was a couple thousand, right? One is too many, of course, but more people die in traffic accidents over a couple of months in the US, are you in favour of banning cars, as well?

And what scientists can you name that were killed because of their discoveries? 'Cause I can only think of one, Giordano Bruno, and even that's a stretch, because he was executed for heresy, not for any "scientific discoveries".

But let's fixate on that stuff and ignore the fact that the Catholic church is responsible for the establishment of the modern systems of hospitals and universities, and been one of the largest patrons of the arts and sciences over the past thousand years, positive innovations that were motivated by religious interests.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And what scientists can you name that were killed because of their discoveries? 'Cause I can only think of one, Giordano Bruno, and even that's a stretch, because he was executed for heresy, not for any "scientific discoveries".

listverse.com...

Here are some other scientists and thinkers( a few) and there are others who were hiding like DaVinci and I think that there are others like him

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

But let's fixate on that stuff and ignore the fact that the Catholic church is responsible for the establishment of the modern systems of hospitals and universities, and been one of the largest patrons of the arts and sciences over the past thousand years, positive innovations that were motivated by religious interests.

Let's say that they had finnancialy supported some hospitals and universities,and for the past thousand years they were only persecuting and killing others who were eretics,scientists,thinkers,phylosophers who opposed the church,reformators of the Church and so on.
And about arts,they combined Bible scenes with some greek mithology and BANG! The "real" art was born
And sciences ? They barely accept scientists nowadays,the war between religion and science continues.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Here are some other scientists

The only scientist on that list is Galileo Galilei, who was not executed, but sentenced to house arrest (and who remained a faithful Catholic until his death.) He was largely convicted not because he taught something contrary to popular belief at the time, but because he failed to prove it, and for political reasons, because he'd dragged the Pope into it after he was told not to (he was friends with the Pope, prior to doing that.)

and I think that there are others like him

Just a suggestion -- instead of guessing, why not take a little time to do some research on it? I've given you a number of resources that you can start with -- the War Audit that I linked above is fascinating. You may find this interesting, as well: Commentary: History shows contributions of Catholic Church to Western civilization

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

And sciences ? They barely accept scientists nowadays,the war between religion and science continues.

You remind me of something that Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said:

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Do not confuse the Catholic church with Fundamentalist Creationists who struggle with science. The church is a huge supporter of scientific research and has one of the largest astronomy and cosmology programs in the world. Believe it or not, we believe in evolution and the Big Bang theory was put forth by a Catholic priest.

We believe that both science and religion are in search of the same thing, the truth, and the two are never in conflict when they both find something to be true. The church's position on science is one of the reasons that I converted to it out of a Protestant faith.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

i changed my mind a bit about the history you showed me.But killing others like the ones I told before just because they were a little different in thinking from the others,it is an undeniable proof.
Killing witches for example,based on some primitive criterias and superstitions are also something immature to do it.
Maybe the catholic church helped a bit to our progress.

Thank you for sharing your opinions,you convinced me a bit but not fully

Peace!

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Killing witches for example,based on some primitive criterias and superstitions are also something immature to do it.

I agree 100%, killing people for their beliefs is totally wrong, and the people who did that are evil, in my mind. If that's all that religion was, I would agree that we'd be better off without it, but thankfully those represent minor dark passages in our long history that has, overall, been to our benefit.

Thank you for sharing your opinions,you convinced me a bit but not fully

You're welcome, and I'm glad that you are open minded enough to see things as they are, not as they are represented to be.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Dear olaru12,

Speaking of opinions....your opinion means less and less to me as you seem to having your Hamartia rearing it's ugly head quite often of late. Something bothering you?

You know, olaru12, you may have a point there. If I were to try to assign a particular fault as my Hamartia, it may be impatience. I've been on some threads lately where the amount of stupidity and persistence is astonishing. You'll remember, of course, that ignorance means not having information, and stupidity means to be unable to do anything with the information you have.

We're all ignorant in very many areas. I could list mine, but it would take two full posts. I have no trouble with anyone being ignorant, it is the common fate of mankind. I would hope that we're here to reduce our ignorance. But, some of the places I've been lately have fed me to the eye-teeth. Perhaps my frustration is spilling out.

I would suggest that you don't pass anyone's opinion because of the way it's expressed. The most valuable part of an opinion is the opinion, not the way it's expressed.

You just did criticize his, by calling his opinion "uneducated" "close-minded" and "intolerant"

As for that, anyone who makes the points he did and attributes them to Christianity, and not just some small branch of it, is uneducated in the subject. The close minded and intolerant? I still see that. From the OP on, his position has been, "This is my belief, like it or lump it, I made up my mind years ago." That's why I responded asking, basically, did he want a discussion? That was brushed off.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
It's interesting since I have been on ATS I have noticed a trend, this trend is not to doubt God first but more to disagree with his way of doing things AND THEN to doubt his existence because of that.?

What God? Until you can cite testable evidence proving that God exists, it's a waste of time (not to mention illogical) to agree or disagree with his so-called way of doing things. You're confusing people's lack of belief in God with their comments about the way this alleged deity is described in the Bible with all its attendant silliness, contradictions, and horrors.

Most people haven't read the Bible. Of those who have, I question the sanity of any who would want to believe in the Biblical God. Of course, this all gets back to the utter lack of evidence proving that God exists. Care to cite the testable evidence proving the existence of God?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Scientists and philosophers agree that there can not be any testable proof for God as commonly known. Science, and tests, can't explore that area of reality. It's worse than asking you to tell me the seventeen digit number in my head from your keyboard in the next five minutes.

Science explores and seeks to understand nature. That's all it can do. God is outside of nature. There is evidence for God, but not proof. Actually, there is more evidence for God than against Him, but on neither side can there ever be proof unless you leave nature. I believe that someday you and I will both leave nature.

It won't matter much if I'm wrong, but if you're wrong . . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join