It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: French Police Misplace Explosives on Jet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Police in Paris have lost track of a small bundle of plastic explosives that were hidden in a piece of baggage used for training. The baggage containing up to 5 ounces of plastic explosives could be on any of the 90 flights that left Charles de Gaulle international airport during the time frame. No detonators were with the explosives and authorities are downplaying the danger.

story.news.yahoo.com
PARIS - Police at Paris' top airport lost track of a passenger's bag in which plastic explosives were placed to train bomb-sniffing dogs, police said Saturday. Warned that the bag may have gotten on any of nearly 90 flights from Charles de Gaulle, authorities searched planes upon arrival in Los Angeles and New York.

French police said the explosives were harmless and there was no chance of their going off, since no detonators were connected to them.

More than 300 passengers were evacuated and their luggage searched when their Air France flight from Charles de Gaulle arrived in Los Angeles late Friday the U.S. Transportation Security Administration said

Two Air France and one American Airlines flight to Paris were also searched in New York City, TSA spokesman Norm Brewer said. No explosives were found on any of the flights

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, how do you say �screw up� in French? This is not a rant directed at the French, merely the bungling that goes on at most airports these days. While I understand the need for security, the system that is in place seems hopelessly flawed to ever be of any real use. From this episode to the shoe bomber, these guys got through already tight security.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I did not want to post it on an ATSNN thread, but my alternative title was "Dude Where Is My Plastiqe?"

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If this was a training exercise to detect plastic explosives on airplanes, and the explosives were lost. This means that French police failed horribly.

Placing plastic explosives on planes in order to detect them is like a scientist injecting himself with the AIDS virus in order to find a cure.

Well France...at least you still have French Fries going for you.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
If this was a training exercise to detect plastic explosives on airplanes, and the explosives were lost. This means that French police failed horribly.

Placing plastic explosives on planes in order to detect them is like a scientist injecting himself with the AIDS virus in order to find a cure.

Well France...at least you still have French Fries going for you.

Sorry no French Fries here, we now call them freedom fries :-)
Yes this was an excerxise, however how can you be sure who is at fault? Yes I think perhaps they (The French may have something to do with the problem, however time will only tell who is at fault.

[edit on 12/4/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
why couldnt that have just used play do or something thats not a threat if lost.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
why couldnt that have just used play do or something thats not a threat if lost.

Plastique has a distinctive smell. Smells a bit like Almonds or Marsipan depending on which one they use. Dogs can zero in on that smell and root the Explosive out.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

I agree with the security failure, but its not the exclusive domaine of the French. I just put up another article about 100's of missing uniforms and badges in Canada.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
HOWHOWHOW do you downplay 5 ounces of plastiques, possibly on any of 90 planes, just plain missing?

thats just absurd, unacceptable. if that happened here, the media would be all over it. ill look for the times article tomorrow.

good thing we have ATSNN for our news, UN-downplayed.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
HOWHOWHOW do you downplay 5 ounces of plastiques, possibly on any of 90 planes, just plain missing?

thats just absurd, unacceptable. if that happened here, the media would be all over it. ill look for the times article tomorrow.

My thought would be leave it to the French to pull off a stunt like this. It would appear they did not put any thought into their planing, however thanks to ATSNN we are now aware of their screw up.

[edit on 12/4/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This incident almost rings of a cover-up or something more that is not being told.
Nonetheless, maybe whats needed is Inspector Clouseau:

seekerof

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

My thought would be leave it to the French to pull off a stunt like this. It would appear they did not put any thought into their planing, however thanks to ATSNN we are now aware of their screw up.

Unbelievable. If this happened in America, the French would be lambasting the USA in every mainstage forum they could arrange. I don't speak much french, however the one phrase I do know how to say in French is "I Surrender".

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It appears the failure of the French Police has spilled across the Atlantic ocean, and into the US. Flights in both LA and New York have been searched for the missing explosives.

www.foxnews.com
PARIS � Police at Paris' top airport lost track of a passenger's bag in which plastic explosives were placed to train bomb-sniffing dogs, police said Saturday. Warned that the bag may have gotten on any of nearly 90 flights from Charles de Gaulle (search), authorities searched planes upon arrival in Los Angeles and New York.

French police said the explosives were harmless and there was no chance of their going off, since no detanators were connected to them.

More than 300 passengers were evacuated and their luggage searched when their Air France flight from Charles de Gaulle arrived in Los Angeles late Friday the U.S. Transportation Security Administration said

Two Air France and one American Airlines flight to Paris were also searched in New York City, TSA spokesman Norm Brewer said. No explosives were found on any of the flights.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an incredible screw up. To me it's like putting a bullet in a pistol. Looking down the barrel, not seeing anything, and then pulling the hammer back to see if it would let in some more light.

I understand wanting to train the dogs in realistic situations by using actual explosives, on real planes, but how difficult would it be to find a decommisioned plane, stored at a location far from the airport, and allowing the dogs to search it there?

Brilliant!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This happened in Canada back in May.

I posted a story on it back then but the link for the story is down.
In the Canada incident, the guy found the explosives in a jam jar when he unpacked his bags.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This method of training may be the standard way to do things.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

thats just absurd, unacceptable. if that happened here, the media would be all over it.

It has happened in the US.

Here's one story from 2003:

dfw.com
Posted on Tue, Sep. 30, 2003

Explosive to train dogs lost at airport

Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. - An explosive used to train bomb-sniffing dogs was lost at Newark Liberty International Airport and police are investigating to determine what happened.

As I mentioned above, it has also happened in Canada.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Explosives are not my speciality. Can plastic explosives be detonated with say an electrical arc as in a short circut? extreme heat? Or a taser? 5 ounces at the very least could take down an airliner if I remeber correctly. The PanAm 103 was brought down by a small amount in a radio

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I would have to say that its not too intelligent to experiment in situations like this with people that are unaware. This doesn't sound like anything new though, the hidden testing on the public. Afterall, it is our own government in the USA that tested radiation and drugs on unaware citizens as well as our own government that practiced live missle locks on public airliners. Fact is, it shouldn't happen, but I'm not suprised.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's one thing to introduce plastic explosives deliberately onto a plane, and quite another to lose them and be unable to find them.

As others have aptly observed, that suggests they may not have the kind of handle on security that passengers would hope for.

But then to have the whole business blow up like this and make world headlines, well, sacre bleu!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 12/5/2004 by infinite8]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Its time to scapegoat and the winner is:

PARIS (Reuters) - France's police minister vowed on Monday to punish officers who planted explosives in an unwitting plane passenger's luggage to test their sniffer dogs but then lost the "bomb," which remains missing after a three-day hunt.
Bomb

Ill bet 10000 points that the ministry that will fire all those involved insisted on this test. Sheesh, No matter what country, politicos are all the same: Say boo and they run for cover.

top topics

join