Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

U.S. Military Adviser: Air Strikes ‘Unlikely to Affect ISIL’s Overall Capabilities’

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Now we hear more "questionable" comments from Pentagon officials.

A General says the U.S. airstrikes against I.S.I.S. are just "temporary" remedies.

Sounds like they're "setting up" for ground invasions ?

With at least 15 targeted airstrikes so far, the U.S. military has “helped check the advance of ISIL forces” near Erbil – but the gains are just temporary, said Lt. General William Mayville, the director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

“We assess that U.S. airstrikes in northern Iraq have slowed ISIL's operational tempo and temporarily disrupted their advances toward the province of Erbil. However, these strikes are unlikely to affect ISIL's overall capabilities or its operations in other areas of Iraq and Syria,” Mayville told a news conference on Monday.

U.S. Military Adviser: Air Strikes ‘Unlikely to Affect ISIL’s Overall Capabilities’

edit on Aug-12-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You know, he is right. The US airstrikes, alone, will not have much affect. But airstrikes and intelligence gathering should be the upper limit of the US involvement. Where is the rest of the world at? If they aren't going to chip in and make this a "coalition" effort Then let the entire region burn. The US is not the worlds police.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

I say we keep using drones, no need to put boots on the ground and give ISIS what they want, which is to kill more Americans with their own rifles.
I believe France and Britain are also involved with aiding us in the War. along with Australia.

How Does Water Cut Threw Stone? Persistence. Keep using drones, it'll break them down mentally with the fear that any time a missile can kill them.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Here's an idea.
How about our gov (U.S.) stops funding these terrorist orgs?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
As if there was ever another scenario.

It will only be a matter of time until those ground troops move from Iraq to Syria.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think this has been the plan all along, Create choas, send in boots on ground, follow ISIS back to syria, another war, which eventually causes Iran to respond, sending the US into Iran.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The only thing that will work is massive carpet bombing from B-52's.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

You know, he is right. The US airstrikes, alone, will not have much affect. But airstrikes and intelligence gathering should be the upper limit of the US involvement. Where is the rest of the world at? If they aren't going to chip in and make this a "coalition" effort Then let the entire region burn. The US is not the worlds police.
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Because the rest of the world knows if they wait long enough to get involved, the U.S. will do the dirty work and put our children in harms way. It's a never ending story. The U.S. will police the world and American citizens will be proud sacrificing their children in conflicts that are not even in our backyard! Then we will hear the propaganda, our troops are fighting for our freedom.

Whose freedom are we really fighting for?

I don't see neighboring countries getting their panties in a bind when there's a conflict next door. I swear the U.S. justifies getting involved in these conflicts just to gain more presence and control in the middle east.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
These are Muslim terrorist, they have done what all Muslim terrorist do, there hiding among the woman and children.

The problem is if they can't move from town to town in order to expand there control do to air strikes then they have been stopped, now the only thing left is to route them out from behind the woman and children and that takes boots on the ground............imagine that !!!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Sounds like they're "setting up" for ground invasions ?

No.

This close to the midterms ?

The US has done about all it is going to do.

Never forget the more important element in modern warfare isn't the weapons, it isn't the 'just cause'.

Its ALL about politics.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

ISIS (aka Saudis Arabia) will not allow any attack on itself...Qatar same deal.

The propaganda will win this time around for a few years of interesting twists and turns.

Shihites are shaking at the prospects ahead.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Granite because: sp

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The only real way to use air power is when they are attacking positions, it's pretty easy to laser them and then deliver a hello present to an attacking ISIS group.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
that's ok we shouldn't expect limited air strikes to truly damage these nut bags, but we have already seen they disrupt them enough that the Kurds can make gains against them and that might be enough for now.

Personally I think IS screwed up big time with trapping those people on the mountain, typically the Kurds seem to be good with a you leave us alone we will leave you alone outlook.. if you watch closely on the video's they are getting angry, when you consider Kurds came from other countries to help in that rescue push... I think its been a long time since the Kurdish people went on the war path, we might be getting ready to see that again... I hope the world is ready.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Isil will be set back only where the airstirkes occurred hey....hmmm that's pretty much a given....why would they have any problems where theres no air.....this general aint sayin nothing we couldn't figure out...
in other words empty propaganda ....another useless press conference ending in a net zero information transfer.....

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Gee, now that ISIS is entrenched in certain major Iraqi towns and cities? No, I don't imagine they COULD be the answer. It's not like air strikes could have been effective when ISIS was stretched out in convoys across Iraq and the Iraqi government was pleading for help though...

I mean, surely an enemy isn't vulnerable when they are single file wide open in the desert...

Or you know, when they were clearly forming in Syria and the U.S turned a blind eye because "#!($ Assad".

Obama had many MANY opportunities to stamp this out before it gained traction. One might even argue he helped engineer it, and once he realized he was Dr.Frankenstein he chose to act for political self preservation.

Worst president in U.S history next to Dubya. He might even rival Dubya.

new topics

top topics

join