It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vow Of Silence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Quick Question....
I was wondering if any member of the freemasons can tell me if freemasons are required to take a vow of silence?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen
Quick Question....
I was wondering if any member of the freemasons can tell me if freemasons are required to take a vow of silence?

No, that is not a requirement.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Well that's that. Thank you for the quick reply.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Well that's that. Thank you for the quick reply.

No worries.

Any insight on what prompted you to ask?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ElOmen

you are required to keep certain things secret, such as various words, grips, and rituals.

the purpose of the secrecy is to see if you are a person of your word, to make you feel special (i know something you dont know), and to stir up interest in the order.

ive never heard about a vow of silence like what monks do before. wouldnt make sense for the masons, as all the secret teachings are passed word of mouth. if you cant speak, how can you pass on the knowledge?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

ran into this image while surfin the net.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

More to do with what stormson said about integrity and keeping the word of a Brother.

Your personal integrity is really the only thing you have that is truly your own.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Quick Question....

What do you mean by "Vow of silence"?

I think you're getting confused with a 'vow of secrecy'.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

ah, i see.

a vow of secrecy is not a vow of silence. the former means keeping a secret, the latter is to never speak again.

heres the weird thing about masonic secrecy. as you can see, you can find just about everything about the masons on the net. all the things we swear to keep secret is no longer a secret. some people join for the wrong reasons, to "expose the truth", and break their oath. leaders in the order wrote books to guide young masons and they fell into the wrong hands.

a mason keeps the secrets not because they are secret, but because he said he would and to show his brothers that he is trustworthy. after all, how can a brother trust you with a serious issue if you cant keep a simple handshake secret?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Indeed my brothers. The vow is not for silence is for discretion.
Freemasonry is not a secret society as many believe. If it were, We've done a bad job to keep it hidden.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

as a brother told me, "how can we be trying to take over the world when we have so much trouble getting a spaghetti dinner planned!"

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
what i really want to know is if they make you do the hand gesture to the lips.(shhhh)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

i cant answer that.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Maybe you should include the women if you are having trouble planning a spaghetti dinner . a reply to: stormson

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Why not?a reply to: stormson

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

what i really want to know is if they make you do the hand gesture to the lips.(shhhh)

Not in my jurisdiction.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
now im curious why stormson cant answer my question?a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

No clue. You would have to ask him. We use one of the oldest rituals in the country for Blue Lodge and this is not in there, but what you pictured is York Rite which I am not in.
edit on 12-8-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

because i dont know if i can in good conscience.

so rather than confirm or deny, ill just remain silent. by saying nothing i know im safe.

comes down to the secrets thing.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
ta reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Again, thank you for clarifying that out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join