It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CO Republican: Fracking is okay, it’s natural for water to burn. ‘Indians’ used it for warmth.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The fact that this cat still calls Native Americans "Indians" is a big fat [X] in and of itself --- how he got onto office is flabbergasting to me!

These vampires are simply lawyers and/or used car salesmen wearing a political façade, feeding on the gullibly blind for their own nauseating gratification...

We have a sick and twisted, opportunistic regime disguised as a political government with the tagline that reads: "We the People"... which could not be further from the truth!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
In 2005 fracking got an exemption to the Clean Water Act, aka the "Halliburton Loophole".

FYI:

The 'Halliburton Loophole' is the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which made exemptions to some requirements
of the Safe Drinking Water Act.

The Clear Water Act does not address groundwater contamination, as that is covered by the Safe Drinking Water Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and the Superfund act.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

This senator ( laughably) is an idiot and a shill. Conflict of interest much excrement for brains.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: LDragonFire

The anti-hydraulic fracturing movie Gasland has been proven to be a scam, as investigative journalist Phelim McAleer has uncovered hidden facts and outright deceptions in the making of the movie. Most notably, McAleer reports that a widely reported scene in which a man lights his tap water on fire, allegedly made possible by recent hydraulic fracturing natural gas production, was misrepresented by filmmaker Josh Fox.

Gasland Producer Misled Viewers on Lighted Tap Water

But I know it's possible.

Funny I said that when Gasland came out and nobody believed me....It was all "Fracking is bad...Bla bla bla"....Unless you know about fracing, people shouldn't be blaming it for anything. But I just let people go because 1 person condemns it and everyone just follows right along...So be it, just like most things and topics on here honestly.

And yet…one day, you were at the mall, with your wife, and she became lightheaded because of some ecigs that were being vap'd at a nearby table. I'm sure she is quite sensitive. What follows is a thread about how you don't think cigarettes are OK, in any form. And now, here you are, fighting for fracking. I liked your old avatar better, btw.

IMO, anyone who doesn't use tobacco is putting their constitution at risk for airborne contaminants. I'm sorry about your wife's contact buzz, but at least she knew what she was getting. It could of been ebola, from some desiccated seven week old semen originating from the lucky patient, uncircumcised, who survived, and then used that chair, commando even, while waiting for his first post-patient interlude, yet who was unwilling to wait out that oh-so-critical last week; or a chunk of cesium that harmlessly dissipated in the air, from Japan. Then you'd have something to bleed from the eyes, I mean gills, about. Yeah buddy. You're just like everyone else. You make your cup, you crack up in it.

As for fracking..Well I must apologize I don't want my wife, my daughter, and myself breathing in YOUR crap chemicals you are putting into EVERYONE'S body!! Not to mention, our precious aquifers, reservoirs, and unborn children. No choice, no vote, no nothing. Just John Galt with a souped up garden hose going nuts on his yard, and everyone else's. Hell yes, when I see a mountain, I think of blasting caps, dynamite. When I see an ocean, I think of all that useless space.

I don't want it, don't like it, shouldn't have to…..but if you're a landowner….they show how they can bore these long pipes, parallel to the ground, until they get what they want. And then ya die. There are psy-ops (fracking advertisements) designed to morally erode everyone which show this quite plainly. I think you are blind. That is worse than even self-righteousness. I don't mind if you're blind. Only…please, don't drive or operate machinery. At least, not mine, you (deleted) sub-fascist.

# 244
edit on 12-8-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: f4rwest

Do you have any evidence to refute from what I wrote?

I am a man of science. I look at evidence and facts. I do not blindly believe what someone else tells me, what someone Vlogs on youtube, or what someone blogs about.

The evidence that fracking is bad for the environment is overwhelming. To try to deny this is truly pushing an agenda.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I got the principle correct, don't shoot the messenger.

The 'Halliburton Exemption' is real. Whoever is bankrolling the fracking industry has the EPA in their pocket books.
edit on 12-8-2014 by jrod because: ed

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Doesn't matter if you get the principal right, if you get the details wrong. That is a very big reason as to why so many protests go absolutely nowhere, people are protesting the wrong things.

As for the fracking industry having the EPA in their pockets, yes and no. They do, but they are eager to ditch fracking. It is a PR nightmare. Until alternative extraction methods come down to hydraulic fracturing price levels and efficiency rates, don't expect it to change.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

As for the fracking industry having the EPA in their pockets, yes and no. They do, but they are eager to ditch fracking. It is a PR nightmare.

Well of course it's a PR nightmare because it contaminates the water people drink. Do you think people are just going to over look that?

The science is solid.

www.livescience.com...
www.foodandwaterwatch.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Really? What? This sounds like pro oil company PR, BS to me.

Are you a city person? let me explain how country folk get their water, you bring out a big drill rig and they drill down until they hit enough good water to give you a certain amount of gallons per minute. It's a big hole in the ground. I would imagine it is very possible for methane to flow into your tap water.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Dear Mr. Baumgardner,

I assumed that you weren’t referring to the hot sulphur springs in your district. They do provide a nice warmth, and make my hair feel so soft, but they don’t catch fire. That would be bad for business in your district! I assumed you were referring to the natural migration of methane that Europeans found the natives lighting on fire around the Great Lakes. Kinda like the ones that some scientists theorize may have given the Oracle at Delphi her ability to commune with the gods.

You know, Mr. Baumgardner, the native seaside Californians used to find balls of tar on our lovely beaches. Yep, natural seepages right on the same beach that in 1969 suffered the third worst oil spill in the US. I guess that’s my point. What can be natural is not always natural. Natural methane seepages or tar balls shouldn’t assume the safety of industrial production.

There is a price for everything, Mr. Baumgardner. There is a price to pay for fracking, and it’s not just unnatural seepage (migration) of methane. It’s not just the quantity of water needed (as also in arid Mexico), or the quakes, or the chemicals. It’s all of the above, each unnatural in its own way.

The question is, is the price worth it? And I’m not talking just about the “energy returned on energy invested”. Well, I guess it’s worth it if you’re involved with production, or are a seller on the world market or a shipper of LNG (or those who might get a check, like Alaskans who get a check for their oil). But it might not be worth it to those who have to live with /adjust to all the unnatural above stuff.

I’m glad you mentioned about the natural methane seepages, Mr. Baumgardner, because it made me think of all the unnatural stuff.

Sincerely,
desert

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ok, I'm sure coming to work stoned is new to this guy.

Give him time, a bag of doretos, some mt dew, and he'll be ok.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I don't even...

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

A Colorado Republican state senator justified the practice of hydraulic fracturing — commonly known as “fracking” — by saying that the presence of burnable amounts of methane gas in drinking water is a perfectly natural phenomenon. In fact, he said, the “Indians” used it for “warmth in the wintertime” many years ago.

Really? What? This sounds like pro oil company PR, BS to me. I can't find any references on the www about Native Americans using methane for warmth.

History of Natural Gas Industry

1620 French missionaries recorded that Native Americans in what is now New York state, ignited gases in the shallows of Lake Erie and in the streams flowing into the lake. It's birthplace was Fredonia, NY.

It's worth noting that this comes from a .gov site, that is fracing friendly, but I too have heard about indigenous people/native Americans/indians/First Nation people (ad nauseam) knowing full well about natural gas and its properties.

History of Chinese Invention - The Discovery of Natural Gas

It wasn't until about 500 BCE that the Chinese discovered the potential to use these fires to their advantage. There is evidence that the Chinese used natural gas in certain regions as early as the fourth century BCE. Pockets of flammable gas were first discovered trapped under the Earth in areas used by the Chinese to extract brine. The Chinese quickly discovered the flammable nature of these pockets, and came to use them as convenient ways to both heat the brine they were extracting and to prepare food. Methane lamps could also be made, simply by filling a leather bladder with gas from a well, sliting a small hole in the bag and lighting escaping gas. Documents from the period maintain that a lamp prepared in this way would remain useful for an entire day.

It's intriguing that the Chinese harnessed the power of natural gas 2500 years ago for illumination and cooking, but apparently it's still considered fashionable to discredit the ingenuity of Indians and doubt their ability to use gas to simply stay warm? One poster *cough the_philth cough* was too busy pretending to care about the word indian that he didn't even realize s/he did this.

edit on 13-8-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

Nice try at derailment....read this....www.abovetopsecret.com...

The fact of the matter is....fracking is poisoning ground water in many communities. Lowering property values and forcing people to buy and haul in drinking water. Apparently the people can go to hell while the oil companies profit.

www.livescience.com...
www.gastruth.org...
theenergycollective.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
While I don't agree with fracking, just last night I watched a documentary on fracking that gave a different side of it than what we all saw in the documentary "Gasland". It's called "Fracknation" and it's available on Netflix.

If you're willing to be objective about it, I would recommend watching it, if not for the purpose of knowing what the other side is saying about it. The topic of methane in the water as a natural occurrence is brought up, and in pretty great detail. There are a lot of things brought up that are pretty good points, IMO. They actually go back to the place in PA where most of Gasland was filmed where residents claim there has been methane in the water there since well before fracking started in the area.

Here's the youtube link, although I think you have pay to watch the whole thing. You can catch a preview though.

Also, to the OP. It's not just republicans who are pushing fracking, both sides are pushing for it. In my state there is even a T.V. add where the democrats and republicans in office here made it a point to show they are united on the subject. (pro-fracking)
edit on 13-8-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Here in the state where I live, the political ads are coming fast and furious

Halliburton has been pushing the fracking thing (and anything they can tie to it) for all it's worth

They're as heroic as the National Guard protecting your family - they hire immigrants - Halliburton does it all. They'll be officiating at gay weddings next - I'm reasonably certain

Oh - and they'll be happy to remind you of how much you and your family rely on the energy fracking provides. I can practically hear them saying: Don't be like that baby - don't you like when daddy gives you nice things?

But they never once address any real concerns. Not once - though they're happy to trot out actual environmental engineers that promise they're doing a good job

Halliburton. My blood runs cold

edit on 8/13/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
We saw the water burn on YouTube a few years ago posted from people not to far away from us. The video was hilarious, these kids showed their Mom and, her response was, "omg how do you put it out!?"

So, of course we had to see if our water did that too!! It did. It suddenly wasn't nearly as funny. Now we use filtered water bottles.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Lol that guy looks like he can fit in with the Texas boys. Although, i see a lack of chunky gold rings and ivory handled revolvers

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

He's just full of it and he probably knows it..

He's counting on the bogans to believe every word he says, because it's those at the bottom end of the gene pool that have the majority at voting time.

C'mon, if you believe I some old man with a flowing white beard, sitting on a cloud throwing thunderbolts and plagues at mankind, then you'd believe anything and deserve someone like that in government...lol

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: LDragonFire

---
The anti-hydraulic fracturing movie Gasland has been proven to be a scam, as investigative journalist Phelim McAleer has uncovered hidden facts and outright deceptions in the making of the movie. Most notably, McAleer reports that a widely reported scene in which a man lights his tap water on fire, allegedly made possible by recent hydraulic fracturing natural gas production, was misrepresented by filmmaker Josh Fox.

Gasland Producer Misled Viewers on Lighted Tap Water

----

But I know it's possible.

You forgot to tell us a little about that author?

The Heartland Institute

The Institute was founded in 1984 and conducts research and advocacy work on issues including government spending, taxation, healthcare, education, tobacco policy, hydraulic fracturing[11] global warming, information technology, and free-market environmentalism.

In the 1990s, the group worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question serious cancer risks to secondhand smoke, and to lobby against government public-health reforms.

More recently, the Institute has focused on questioning the science of human-caused climate change, and was described by the New York Times as "the primary American organization pushing climate change skepticism."[15] The Institute has sponsored meetings of climate change skeptics,[16] and has been reported to promote public school curricula challenging the scientific consensus on human-caused climate change.[17]

Oil and gas companies have contributed to the Heartland Institute, including over $600,000 from ExxonMobil between 1998 and 2005.[52] Greenpeace reported that Heartland received almost $800,000 from ExxonMobil.[23] In 2008, ExxonMobil said that they would stop funding to groups skeptical of climate warming, including Heartland.[52][53][54] Joseph Bast, president of the Heartland Institute, argued that ExxonMobil was simply distancing itself from Heartland out of concern for its public image.[52]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-8-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join