It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CO Republican: Fracking is okay, it’s natural for water to burn. ‘Indians’ used it for warmth.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A Colorado Republican state senator justified the practice of hydraulic fracturing — commonly known as “fracking” — by saying that the presence of burnable amounts of methane gas in drinking water is a perfectly natural phenomenon. In fact, he said, the “Indians” used it for “warmth in the wintertime” many years ago.

Really? What? This sounds like pro oil company PR, BS to me. I can't find any references on the www about Native Americans using methane for warmth.

“They talk about methane in the water and this, that, and the other,” Baumgardner went on, “but if you go back in history and look at how the Indians traveled, they traveled to the ‘burning waters.’ And that was methane in the waters and that was for warmth in the wintertime.”

Bold claims such as this, require somekind of confirmation imo.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Maybe he is getting it confused with "firewater" which was what some Native Americans called Alcohol.

Or maybe he is just enjoying his states freedom on pot a little bit too much.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well I guess he has No problem then, taking a massive drink of the Methane rich water right in front of the news cameras then. Show us all how tasty it truly is. sarcasim

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Wow, I thought this had to be some kind of satire news or something at first, but then I saw the video...

It was an interview with Senator Randy Baumgardner and Gordon Klingenschmitt. How perfect!!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The guy is owned by the Oil Companies. He is their property, bought and paid for. He represents only the oil companies views, and is clearly only advocating for their "rights." Too bad most voters are too blinded by partisan bickering to see this, and send this tool to the unemployment line.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I had to look at the calendar to make sure it was not April 1st after seeing this story. I wonder if Mr. Baumgardner gets paid well for his pro-fracking seminars. I am interested in what else he has to say.

Colorado state Sen. Randy Baumgardner (R) deserves a chair in the Ministry of Truth.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I believe "burning waters" was the name Native Americans gave to lava flows... Perhaps Baumgardner would like to drink some of that... or Perhaps he needs to study his America History a little more...

Yes, absolutely bought and paid for by the petroleum industry and should be send packing. One day, these people who support fracking and such are going to change their minds when it hits home...
edit on 8/12/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Apparently Sen Randy thinks people are stupid when it concerns fracking, But bringing up the topic of "Burning Water"
is obvious pandering to those that contribute to his campaign coffers. I'm sure even he doesn't believe his own BS.

American politics at it's finest......surreal, entertaining and totally ignoring the taxpayers in favor of the Corporate structure.

Send in the clowns!!!
edit on 12-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure what its like in other states, but there is a CONSTANT barrage of pro-fracking propaganda here in CO. The amount of commercials on Tv is massive.

From what I can see, it is all working well too. Most people I showed videos like this to take it completely at face value. It all started out pretty subtle, but many residents are even saying the same sort of thing as this senator at this point.

At one time, I thought it was strange that people had such a strong awareness of an issue like this, but it seems to be sourced in the amount of propaganda rather than research.

I know very few people that even know what "fracking" is, they just know they support it...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
yummy burning waters, here try some of this:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I believe "burning waters" was the name Native Americans gave to lava flows... Perhaps Baumgardner would like to drink some of that... or Perhaps he needs to study his America History a little more...

Yes, absolutely bought and paid for by the petroleum industry and should be send packing. One day, these people who support fracking and such are going to change their minds when it hits home...

I thought the Indians wee talking about geothermal springs, the water does get hot and bubbly ...not bunson-burner-like columns of fire coming out of the water....that is what I'm interpreting from that jackass's statement....

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

There are areas that don't have any gas wells where their water will ignite from methane. It is naturally occurring in tons of water wells, just because it is present in the water doesn't mean it was caused from fracing. But you guys don't care, you want someone to blame it on...Go ahead and blame fracing, I am sure your complaint will go far and everyone will agree with you.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

The anti-hydraulic fracturing movie Gasland has been proven to be a scam, as investigative journalist Phelim McAleer has uncovered hidden facts and outright deceptions in the making of the movie. Most notably, McAleer reports that a widely reported scene in which a man lights his tap water on fire, allegedly made possible by recent hydraulic fracturing natural gas production, was misrepresented by filmmaker Josh Fox.

Gasland Producer Misled Viewers on Lighted Tap Water

But I know it's possible.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: LDragonFire

The anti-hydraulic fracturing movie Gasland has been proven to be a scam, as investigative journalist Phelim McAleer has uncovered hidden facts and outright deceptions in the making of the movie. Most notably, McAleer reports that a widely reported scene in which a man lights his tap water on fire, allegedly made possible by recent hydraulic fracturing natural gas production, was misrepresented by filmmaker Josh Fox.

Gasland Producer Misled Viewers on Lighted Tap Water

But I know it's possible.

Funny I said that when Gasland came out and nobody believed me....It was all "Fracking is bad...Bla bla bla"....Unless you know about fracing, people shouldn't be blaming it for anything. But I just let people go because 1 person condemns it and everyone just follows right along...So be it, just like most things and topics on here honestly.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Awesome. I can't wait till the first episode of naked and afraid and they use water to warm themselves.

Its really amazing how the masses have been neutralized.

3-2-1 : John stewart moment of zen
edit on 41831America/ChicagoTue, 12 Aug 2014 12:41:20 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It is amazing that so many do not know what fracking is. What many are told is it creates many decent paying jobs and helps the US produce their own oil.

All the negative aspects are not talked about on most MSM, it is talked about on the 'far left liberal' media outlets, which are discounted as anti-capitalist and un-American.

In 2005 fracking got an exemption to the Clean Water Act, aka the "Halliburton Loophole".
edit on 12-8-2014 by jrod because: ed

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Hey Serdg! This from You; "I know very few people that even know what "fracking" is,
they just know they support it..."
Isn't that insane? I know of some who are the same way, about a lot of topics!
They were some who 'voted' for the mistake we have in the W.H. now. In all fairness to some of them anyway, they believed the lies they listened to, during the campaign carnival, so......

See ya around the Boards Bud! Later, Syx.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Who wants to drink water when you can burn it?
Am I right? It's not like drinking hydrocarbons are bad for you. I mean hydro is right there in the word!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Here in the UK fracking companies have to state publically which chemicals and liquids they are usaing - and they have to be non-poisonous. In the USA however, this information seems to be some kind of industrial secret and the fracking companies are allowed to get away with it. Now, I am not a fan of the Coalition Government in the UK, but they at least seem to have a spine when it comes to standing up to the fracking companies when it comes to information.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

You can post documentaries about how bad fracking is, I can post documentaries on how that's all false. Just don't go spewing your own agenda as fact when you yourself have no idea what you're talking about firsthand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join