It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to disarm our cops?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Oh yeah...great idea. Leave the criminals with guns. Guns are inaminate. People kill people, not guns...or knives, or cars, or alcohol, or....or...

Really, really stupid idea. The criminals will always find ways to get guns. What LE supposed to do? Yell "Hey! You! Stop...or Ill grab you!"...as they are blown away.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Xeven

The day you or I can be hunkered down because of a mass shooter in the area or if kidnapped at gun point, is the day you or I will regret unarmed police. You will always have bad apples in any profession, including the police. For the most part, if you keep your nose clean, don't carry a chip on your shoulder, and are a law abiding citizen, you shouldn't have anything to fear. It's when people become confrontational is when bad cops lose their cool and things get out of hand.

Maybe their guns should be secured in the trunk of the car only to be removed when situation dictates so every situation does not dictate use of lethal force.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Oh yeah...great idea. Leave the criminals with guns. Guns are inaminate. People kill people, not guns...or knives, or cars, or alcohol, or....or...

Really, really stupid idea. The criminals will always find ways to get guns. What LE supposed to do? Yell "Hey! You! Stop...or Ill grab you!"...as they are blown away.

No. In situations where lethal force may be required you would call in an armed response force. I just do not think every cop needs lethal force at his side all day every day where it can be misused.

They should also ask to engage with lethal force just as our Armed Forces must. If your responding to a Bank Robbery lethal force would likely be a smart decision. If your approaching a unarmed teenager then maybe your gun should be in the trunk of the car.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Works in the UK

Have most of the cops unarmed and only have a few elite trained for firearm use.

Unless its a serous situation like a armed robbery of gang related the police should not need guns.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Works in the UK

Have most of the cops unarmed and only have a few elite trained for firearm use.

Unless its a serous situation like a armed robbery of gang related the police should not need guns.

Exactly what I am talking about.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

No. In situations where lethal force may be required you would call in an armed response force. I just do not think every cop needs lethal force at his side all day every day where it can be misused.

I agree with you.

Police in the UK use there brains. If they get a 999 ( your 911) that imply that a weapons will be on the scene they don't just send our unarmed units or if its in a high risk area. But for all the other mundane duty's that take up 99% of a policeman time they are unarmed.

It works. Sure we have a few questionable shooting but no on the scale of the USA and it rare for our police officers to be killed on duty too.

Taking away gun from most cops doesnt mean the police in down town Detroit or st Louis will be disarmed, there situation does not warrant that as they are in a high risk area, but a traffic cop patrolling a safe area? Well there no reason to have a gun.
edit on 12-8-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

The day you or I can be hunkered down because of a mass shooter in the area or if kidnapped at gun point, is the day you or I will regret unarmed police. You will always have bad apples in any profession, including the police. For the most part, if you keep your nose clean, don't carry a chip on your shoulder, and are a law abiding citizen, you shouldn't have anything to fear. It's when people become confrontational is when bad cops lose their cool and things get out of hand.

confrontational??....kinda lowering the bar, don't you think?.....not helping your side of the argument.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
No I don't agree with taking away the guns. Better method would be to have all police have cameras so that every situation can be reviewed with visual and sound. This should be doable in this day and age. There was an article on MSN about requiring the cameras after altercation with police.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle
For a job that requires that you place your life on the line and you become hated by a large percentage of a population almost immediately. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think I would do that for more money. The unfortunate reality is that the kind of people that I would trust to do this job are far to busy with other issues and gaining higher knowledge. Good candidates unfortunately also have more options. This is true in any career field.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Disarm the police. Interesting opinion. It is yours and I respect it.

That being said I obviously highly disagree with you because my firearm has allowed me to stop many horrible crimes in progress which resulted in the direct protection of the innocent. I am sure those victims would also disagree with you.

My firearm has also never hurt an innocent person. You see my firearm is a tool and it is soley controlled by me. I am responsible, ethical and have very strict morals. So for you to come here and tell me that I should be disarmed because of crimes or accidents committed by SOME other officer really pisses me off.

So with that train of thought we should just ban all firearms because many people have been killed by active shooters that weren't police officers. While we are at it we should also ban firearms in the military because some have killed their fair share of innocents too.

I will tell you what, feel free to get up from behind your keyboard to become a police officer and show us how policing in America should be done.

Maybe we should just ban humans in general. I mean police are human (although many people on ATS would disagree) and are susceptible to emotion, corruption and making mistakes.

I find it comical because people say they want a more human officer and don't want them to be emotionless robotic drones. Yet they automatically demonize EVERYONE in the profession when mistakes are made or crimes are committed.

It is human nature. No one is perfect or infallible.
edit on 12-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Having lived through two riots in Los Angeles this is an insane idea. Like everything else there are laws in place to deal with bad cops and it's up to us to make sure they are prosecuted just like any other criminal. This concept is ignored in many instances in America today. The border is the one that sticks out the most. Just enforce the law, thats all, if you're a bank and you screw the customer it's jail time, the same for bad cops, crack dealers, thieves, politicians, etc.

We have enough laws on the books to take care of this bad cop as well as any bad politician. The FBI and the DOJ is on the way to sort it out, taking guns away from good cops is a bad idea.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Xeven

Taking away gun from most cops doesnt mean the police in down town Detroit or st Louis will be disarmed, there situation does not warrant that as they are in a high risk area, but a traffic cop patrolling a safe area? Well there no reason to have a gun.

Exactly taking a gun into a normally safe area actually could cause the problem. Say you have unarmed teen drunk trying to fight the cop. Well the cop has a gun and can't let the teen get at it so guess what. He shoots the drunk teen to protect the gun. If gun was left in car in this situation, the cop could get backup to help him handle the unarmed teen so no one gets hurt.

Brining a gun to this situation actually causes an unneeded shooting.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yeah, because a cop in LA Watts would not be killed in a heartbeat if he were unarmed. Cops need to be armed.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Wouldn't it be easier to mandate that all cops take Prozac or something like that?

You do know that one of the side effects of anti-depressants is psychotic episodes?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek
Prozac isn't one of the worst ones.
But then some cops are psychotic already... might not be a good idea, I suppose.
We need to give them something to mellow them out.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

So should the police officers that are not psychotic and don't need mellowing out be forced to be medicated in your theory?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

So should the police officers that are not psychotic

You go locate them first.

You might be a while.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
But, wouldn't disarming the cops give criminally minded people an advantage? Oh, I see, that is the point.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Nice deflection.

You are interacting with one on a forum as we speak.

So I should be medicated because what others have done?

edit on 12-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

You are interacting with one on a forum as we speak.

So I should be medicated because what others have done?

I know damn well what you are.
This isn't the first time I've logged in here.

If your memory was good, you would know that.

You also would know some of my history and what I know about cops.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join