It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia embraces missile and naval ties as it cements US defence pact

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Australia has signed on to cooperate with American ballistic missile defence systems in north Asia, and has welcomed both the larger US marine presence in Darwin and the prospect of more joint naval cooperation in the region.

A communique issued after Tuesday’s annual Ausmin talks in Sydney said the US and Australia had “committed to continue to work together to counter the growing threat of ballistic missiles in the Asia Pacific region – including by establishing a bilateral working group to examine options for potential Australian contributions to ballistic missile defence in the region”

www.theguardian.com...

Well this news is kind of alarming, while Australia has strong ties with the United States and as an ally would always support America but this crosses a line IMO. In signing this the Australian Government has now made Australia a preemptive or first strike target for China in any future conflict with the United States. Australia has no nukes or long range ballistic missiles and alone would not pose a threat to china militarily but this changes things dramatically and one day we could pay a hefty price for this close of an alliance with the US.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

Yeah I watched that blonde bimbo with the Serpent thing on her right shoulder today.. Then I seen what I thought was a 60+ year old life size Ken doll. When I looked a bit closer it was John Kerry.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
We can change the look of the world map now by putting a big ass X mark on the continent of Australia.
Never agreed with this from the outset.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: keenasbro
We can change the look of the world map now by putting a big ass X mark on the continent of Australia.

originally posted by: oddnutz

Australia has no nukes or long range ballistic missiles and alone would not pose a threat to china militarily but this changes things dramatically and one day we could pay a hefty price for this close of an alliance with the US.

I've never known Australians to be so fearful.

*All the ones I've known and have met over the past few decades are pretty tough and hearty people.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

oh we are tough and hearty but we are not stupid or suicidal (well obviously our government is in their rush to lick Kerry's backside). This agreement means we are now willing to step up and play with the big boys and our population, military budget and assets do not provide for that if we ever found ourselves on our own.

edit on 12-8-2014 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I don't see any problem with a US base here. It's better that it happens now, rather than when China has reached New Guinea. I watched the speech too, the part where Kerry said, "We live in a time of great upheaval" or some crap made me laugh. The lessons learned 70 years ago really do need to be put into practice though.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

oh we are tough and hearty but we are not stupid or suicidal. This agreement means we are now willing to step up and play with the big boys and our population, military budget and assets do not provide for that if we ever found ourselves on our own.

Far be it for me to explain Australian military history to one but...

Australia has been one of the US's closest allies in almost every major global and some minor regional conflicts. Why are some so afraid of China? If China is that big of a threat to Australia it seems prudent to develop defensive measures.

imho of course.
edit on 12-8-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Just another jump off point for the US to get closer to China and interfere in their matters.
It's of zero benefit to the people of Australia, in much the same way as having US military bases all over the UK and Europe is to people of those places, but allows the US and it's financial handlers forward staging areas for their wars of aggression in the region.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Yeah I dunno...
Its meant to max out at 2000 marines by 2017 and more usual stop overs by jets and bombers or something..

If the world ever came to a scenario where superpower nations like China were actively bombing other superpowers.. I don't think it matters if we have 2000 marines based in a very remote part of the Northern Territory.. We'll be involved taking hits and throwing some out by then, we'll also be happy the Americans are here!

My concern is that Australia's so willing to side with the USA, at a time when the prestige, power and performance of America is degrading due to its violations of humanitarian law.

I kinda feel like Italy joining Hitlers parade!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Refreshing to know you think of alliance with the United States as joining "Hitlers Parade" (sigh)

What a way to start the day.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy
Hosting U.S. troops and supporting the U.S. is not a big issues but hosting missile defence systems makes us stand out that bit more. If China ever hands America their butt and we lose our ally, sucking up to china may not be enough to stave off chinese aggression. I believe this decision would put to rest any doubt chinese ICBM would be aimed downunder in a ww3 scenario.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

but hosting missile defence systems makes us stand out that bit more.....

I believe this decision would put to rest any doubt chinese ICBM would be aimed downunder in a ww3 scenario.

Wait Wait Wait...

Hold the phone.

Having a Missile defense system would provoke China into aiming missiles at a missile defense system? That's like saying,

"Hey, he's got a bullet proof vest, Now I have a reason to shoot him"

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Fair point, it was meant with some cynical humor..

What I meant to say was... we had a chance to go the right way, the wrong way or the American way.
We didn't choose the right way!
edit on am702318122014-08-12T07:02:45-05:00072014p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

yeah sure, maybe america can foot the bill for our Military expansion and defence.
Not afraid of china but you don't go and poke a bear with a stick and its a very rreal future possibility China could come out on top of America and how will you help us then?

This is not about a growing threat in the region from ballistic missiles it is about american dominance over china. These missile defence systems are about giving america that dominance just a wee bit longer before China stands up and says "no more team america" piss off out of Asia.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Spit on America, embrace China.

Umm. . . .okay.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

taking out Americas missile defense shield would not be a military objective? Cannot stop them all

if someone wearing a bullet proof vest shoots at you do you just give up? or shoot back aiming for the head?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I've never known Australians to be so fearful.

*All the ones I've known and have met over the past few decades are pretty tough and hearty people.

The new generation are iPad addicts who shop for pink t-shirts and organic food.

Australians are doomed.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Well this dose not mean Australia will have BDM's in oz,

Australia has signed on to cooperate with American ballistic missile defence systems

Australia’s potential contributions could be providing early warning capabilities (which we are already doing)

What could Australia provide? Australia does not have to buy expensive interceptor missiles to make a useful missile defence contribution. Radars on the RAAF’s new Wedgetail aircraft, and on the navy’s air warfare destroyers (AWD), could provide useful data as part of international missile defence systems – be that in the Middle East, in Asia or elsewhere. The Jindalee over-the-horizon radar might have a useful role in a regional missile defence architecture. SM-3 interceptors would be expensive and of limited use to defend Australia, but Australian AWD could be equipped to load US and allied missiles if required. And the US is developing new interceptors that would allow the AWD to protect themselves, and ships in company, against ballistic missiles.

Read full article from financial review
AFR

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

a reply to: weirdguy
Hosting U.S. troops and supporting the U.S. is not a big issues but hosting missile defence systems makes us stand out that bit more. If China ever hands America their butt and we lose our ally, sucking up to china may not be enough to stave off chinese aggression. I believe this decision would put to rest any doubt chinese ICBM would be aimed downunder in a ww3 scenario.

Pine Gap has always made us a target anyway, well it was back in the good ol' cold war days. You are right though, I don't think China will like the missile defence anymore than the Russians do in Europe.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Spit on America, embrace China.

Umm. . . .okay.

no, but there is a balance and until this agreement we had that balance imo.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join