It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Effects of Corporate Culture on our lives and the human spirit

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What do I mean by Corporate Culture?

Let me explain..

My profession gives me access to a vast array of people from various professions and walks of life.

I overheard a conversation from a couple of people involved in the production of motion pictures. Basically, the conversation was about a production process they employ, which involves a movie screening in a small theater for a private group. After the movie is over, the people in the group are interviewed. I am not sure how the questioning process goes, but what they do is to try to determine what the particular 'parameters' for the movie should be. So the conversation mentioned things like - whether the movie had enough violence,.. "lets increase the violence" or whether it had enough nudity, or whether it needed more humor or comedy, etc. I was really startled to hear the conversation.

So what is happening here - they are trying to 'tweak' the movie, so to speak, to evoke the maximum response from the audience. The superficial features are made to evoke an emotional response. It is not like a story line that was inspired by a particular person. It is instead a mish-mosh of stuff that they put together to try to generate the maximum income for the movie. So, this is not 'art' so to speak, they are trying to create; - It is just a money making machine.

I think this mindset in our art and entertainment, has a negative impact on our culture and the human spirit. It is mindless media. The origination of its cause is to generate capital. It is not art that was inspired from the heart or particular individuals.

It is empty, and it leaves people empty.

---

There was one time when I used to like watching movies, and listening to music on the radio.

I think the big difference from back then is that music was made in a culture where people made things because they liked it, and would be doing it regardless if it was going to make them rich. They wanted to share it with others, to give them something. Now people make things because they want to make money from others. It is a completely different mindset and culture.

If you listen to pop music on the radio, you see the same things as are done in the movie making process I mentioned. Like they will use Autotune to get that voice, or use other gimmicks to get the response from those people.

Yes - "Those people".

You know who I am talking about. Or at some of you know who I am talking about. Those people like those movies (made in the particular way I mentioned); and they like that sort of music on the radio, but I don't think they see the scam. They seem all too happy to be scammed. They are dumb (in a particular sense, even though they can have a degree, a good job and good grades). I don't know how to explain it..

It seems like America is being dumbed down. When I am in the presence of 'those people', it is pretty scary - the mind state. You compare the musicianship from the 70's or other eras when music was rich, and meaningful, or when movies were rich and meaningful and full of spirit, for those who can perceive it, and understand, you know what I am saying.

Sometimes I hear these kids singing along to this particular radio pop music, but it is not the same sort of fulfillment they would have experienced, if the culture was 'real', as opposed to this corporate culture.

They are instead left feeling empty and unfulfilled.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

I think this mindset in our art and entertainment, has a negative impact on our culture and the human spirit. It is mindless media. The origination of its cause is to generate capital. It is not art that was inspired from the heart or particular individuals.

It is empty, and it leaves people empty.

Ah yes my friend! You are 100% correct here and there is a very good reason for this!

I recommend reading a book by Edward Bernays called Propaganda. It was written in 1928.

This man was Freuds nephew and he has done quite a bit of damage to the evolution of humanity. This book cites how a small fraction of the population can control the masses by keeping them in their animal instincts. This is the reason that all media wheter it is advertising,television, movies, music, magazines or newspapers, most places on the web seek to bombard our consciousness with, sex, violence, and fear.

Fortunately for us we are evolving and no amount of propaganda can stop this. We are experiening a consciousness shift, call it whatever you like it is what the Mayans were talking about an end of a great cycle known as the procession of the equinox. 2012 is simply when things lined up for our future evolution. It is also a great example of Bernay's propaganda in action.

Ultimately we are spiritual beings, we simply forgot this so we could remember it. This is what we are currently experiencing, it is about to get a little rocky while the earth seeks for balance, however the conspiracies about a global totalitarian dictatorship are simply the wet dreams of the 1% who have done their part in creating the atosphere for humantiy to conquer a great challenge and that is exactly what we will live to see, interesting times indeed. Faith is your best friend, it is all that we have.
edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago08America/Chicago831amTuesday12 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

So, this is not 'art' so to speak, they are trying to create; - It is just a money making machine.

Bingo. I have observed the same. The corporation are willing to dilute the true nature of the art in order to bring in more cash.

I have often wondered if that's the reason we loose such great talent so early, unique artist like Hendrix, Cobain, Buckly,(IMO). They were weary from battling the living contradiction, the conforming artis.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Oh yes. And they film several endings to many movies to evaluate which one will get the most positive response then print that one for general release.

And while we are on the topic of mass control, how about the canned laughter for TV sitcoms. We have a tendency to laugh when others laugh. These canned laughter shows condition people to laugh at the same things rather than developing a sense of humor on their own, If you ignore the (jokes) themselves and just listen to the patterns of chuckles and guffaws and snickers and outright boisterous laughing, which of source all rise and end together, there are patterns to the way they are situated in the dialogues.

They tell us what to laugh at. Man that pizzes me off.
edit on 12-8-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: sp

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I have to agree with you albeit from bit different perspective. It is 25 years from end of eastern block. Between 1968 and 1989 was in former Czechoslovakia created many very good movies which can be called Art. This was during era called normalisation, the screws were tightened after Prague spring and Soviet occupation. Many people were banned from main movie industry. This was trouble namely for directors and actors, still they had usually no trouble to work in one special area: movies for kids - in this era the best of bests were created. Scenarists and other not so visible staff could still work on big movies but only under name of someone else. Artists had freedom to choose almost any subject and were not forced to incorporate propaganda. Only few movies were created as propaganda from start and it was disaster every time. Censorship was present but doesn't worked very well. Artists easily found ways how to circumvent it.

After 1989 only few really good movies was created. Capitalistic "freedom" killed Czechoslovak film tradition.

OP is dating free fall of US movie fame to 70. but I think the so called corporate culture is inherent to USA culture for much longer time. Maybe you know director Milos Forman (Taking off, Hairs, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus). He was leading figure of Czech new wave at 60. and later moved to USA. He was quite disappointed with restrictions placed on his work by studios. In many respect he had (and would have) more artistic freedom behind Iron curtain.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

All too true im afraid. Being a guitarist, songwriter myself i can see the absolute dearth of talent. It is all just so contrived. I love 60's and 70's music a hell of a lot more, it's more natural and soul thrilling. Hardly any decent music to be found anywhere nowadays. Sometimes i will pop on a bit of classical music, some of it is incredibly inspiring, real talent and imagination.

This just lights up your soul!

edit on 12-8-2014 by DrunkYogi because: Stupid youtube!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I am an artist and I have seen the cogs of mainstream railroading towards contemporary art, in education and the workplace.

Art is valuable to society and education, and has brought many innovations in world technology and as a guide to ethics and cultural standards, which are required in civilized societies.

Additionally art is obviously a talent and skill and can be used in many ways from the practical, such as architecture and diagrams to psychology and healing.

Art is also a means of expression, it is a visual synthesis between the body, spirit and mind. Art has forever been utilised as a means of communication with the divine and in bringing to light divine concepts. It is invaluable.

For every 'real' traditional art course at universities (and most now have a contemporary slant rather than say painting or drawing) there is at least 2, 3 or more courses for design, such as graphics (advertising based, often using computers), textiles (fashion industry) and media (theatrical make up, film) and photography.

While these are art in a sense, most relies on computers these days so the skillset of the true artist isn't being taught or developed as it should.

In addition to such blatant refusal to invest in true artistry, schools here in the UK are going to be allowed a choice whether or not to have art on their curriculum rather than it being standard and compulsory, which is anathema to constructive human development and evolution IMO.

When civilizations look to art as a cultural tool for demonstrating the finer skills in life of observation, intuition and appreciation of beauty, the entire mindset of that civilization can be elevated.

Rushing around making capitalism, commercial enterprise, wars, failing societies etc the focus of people's lives is destructive and makes for an uneasy society devoid of spirituality. Humanity is currently under a dark cloud, fed by evil, greed and displaced attempts at spirituality. Worshipping money, vacuous celebrities and dubious ethics is ruinous to society.

Distracting people from traditional valued makes them easier for manipulation and exploitation. Close knit families and communities have a group voice and a bigger say. Groups of ethical people standing together for the principles of righteousness and dignity are more able to force those acting against the greater good, making many lives miserable whilst a small percentage profits, to stop their evil ways.

Humanity needs to refocus on the beautiful and harmonious and only then will it elevate itself spiritually in order to see the light and rectify it's ails.
edit on 12-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Very nicely said. Have you ever heard of the conspiracy theory regarding tuning from A440hz to A432hz.

www.whydontyoutrythis.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

Thanks.

I have heard about that, I wrote about it on a thread some years ago.

There is a lot going on in the world making people stupid and unspiritual, it has to stop.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Agreed!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

It is just a money making machine.

I'm confused , Did you really not expect that? Corporations main purpose is to make money for its investors.

That is no earth shattering discovery/

The real effects of corporate culture that RUNS your life is not from controlling Hollywood or creativity. The real effect is that corporations control the whole system.

1. The RNC and DNC are both controlled by Corporate sponsorship.
2. The MSM and Hollywood are both owned and operated by Corporations.
3. The Commission on Presidential Debates is a corporation that is managed by the RNC and DNC.
4. Our elected officials count on corporate lobbying to draft and give input to the laws and regulations created in this country.

So yes corporations control the masses but the issue is much bigger than creativity. They control the consumer and the market.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I don't think it's the surprise IT, it's more the disappointment. Some wise person once said you can tell the state of a society by the quality of their music (i think it was Plato) and the music just matches the chaos of theses dark times. It's sad, very sad indeed.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

Some wise person once said you can tell the state of a society by the quality of their music (i think it was Plato) and the music just matches the chaos of theses dark times. It's sad, very sad indeed.

I like that, but was the music a reflection of society or revelation of what the puppet masters of the time were trying to accomplish?

Today the most popular artist are corporate controlled and the top hits don't appear to be worthy humanitarian causes. Was this a recent change or has it always been that the controlling elites used entertainment as a form of manipulation?

It no surprise that if you want to maintain control then you got to make sure that you are smarter than those who you control, use diversion tactics, and keep them fighting among themselves (controlled chaos) to ensure they don't figure it out.

Control and power is harder to maintain over an educated organized population.

edit on 14831America/ChicagoTue, 12 Aug 2014 11:14:40 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I was thinking about this subject week ago when I watched few episodes of "The Last Ship". It is nothing more then propaganda: Advertisement for US Marine, denigration of Russian military and Russians at all. It is exactly what I would expect from East block propaganda machine and in reality would hardly find.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Words have power. Words control thoughts, thoughts control feelings. Allowing yourself to be censored, allows yourself to be controlled.

There is a book you should read. Due to respecting the terms and conditions I can't actually type the name of this book. This book is by Christopher M. Fairman and the Subtitle is, " Word Taboo and Protecting our First Amendment Liberties "

I read it and allowed my 13 yr old son to read it. While I'm certain it was the title that caught his attention, he learned more than I expected. This book wasn't just a good read it was thought provoking. One of the first things that spoke to me in this book was the fallacy of self censorship.

My son made the mistake of reading it in school and was told children don't have freedom of speech!! Clearly this teacher hadn't read the book or understood constitutional rights.

One rebutal I've pondered is the fact that my speech becomes another's environment and so at what point does another's rights infringe on my own rights? Bible thumpers are famous for shutting down if they even hear a word they don't like or ignoring the entire point due to hearing one word. I personally believe its an excuse and, not due to offense.

This comes back to MSM desensitizimg the masses. That right there is a sensitive topic for me. By whose standards are we measuring? What makes those morals and values the one we should utilize?

This can go into full rant mode. I'll end with this. In my day to day I cuss like a sailer. I've been told I do it oddly due to adding these words in my regular sentences. I have no desire to berate or belittle anyone and if I do feel the need, I learned long ago to get more creative. Its just more fun and a.wise woman pointed out to me what I had said above. People shut down and don't HEAR you if you use certain words.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
BTW stupid US shows are broadcasted all over the world. The evident stupidity of shows inevitably leads big part of world to conclusion that US citizens are stupid. Many people at outside world know that US government is criminal but such shows are real disaster for USA as nation.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Good point Inter. And was he talking about just guff music like Lady Gaga etc or the frequency?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

What is surprising to me is that this is surprising to anyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the thoughtful post, OP.

What you say is true -- of mainstream media. There are artistic holdouts in every genre, though increasingly rare.

I believe this pattern is systemic in American society. Whether you are buying a weed-eater or a movie ticket, chances are quality was not the primary concern of developers.

It all comes down to the need for informed, responsible consumers. When people crowd into theaters and pay exorbitant ticket prices for a God-awful reboot of Ninja Turtles (which in no way resembles its namesake), they are financing the next vacuous 'film' recycled from decades ago.

People are always threatening boycotts over political ideology or a CEO's personal beliefs. Why not boycott General Motors for pumping out faulty vehicles, or Michael Bay for producing Hollywood pulp?
The answer may be in the OP -- people have forgotten what quality looks like.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yes OP I agree it is a very sad state of affairs. Fortunately there are still plenty of artists staying true to themselves in their work. It is just a matter of looking for them rather than taking what is shoved down our throats I guess

new topics

top topics

join