It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Weirdest and Fiercest Helmets from the Age of Armored Combat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
Indeed a great thread, imagine marching up to an army full of evil looking helmets, would strike fear immediately! the taiwanese soldiers look pretty crazy, road warrior comes to mind...

here's some that came to mind as i was scrolling..

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Nice.

Most of these look like ornamental/mantlepiece helmets than army standard "used in battle" type things.

Still great though.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I think u forgot one....

But seriously, Thanks for sharing these bad boys- some of which I'm familiar, but the ones with the mustaches...
OMG.
LMAO

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Kool thread

General Ekhegugu Ahnekpo Benin 15th cent

Tlingit war helmet Alaska

Benin horseman with a vaguely looking Roman helmet
edit on 12-8-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
I love the old realistic days but my fantasy is to strong here.. haha

minus the green eyes but adds mystery i guess..

always have liked helmets, defines the warrior.. hard to see out of? some for sure but if done right could save ur head..

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Great thread, I liked some of the responses on here, too, with even more helmets.
edit on 12amTue, 12 Aug 2014 08:56:25 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
samurai helmets are the best in my opinion! so cool looking

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82ill have to agree with you, in japan in 1656a.d. would you wanna fight against this?

i'd go fishing...

edit on 12-8-2014 by lighter78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: lighter78

Oh no.... You Didn't!! The Beast Master?? you dropped the Beast master on me?? now it's on.!

May I introduce you to ma favorite blood sucka da original Dracula hahahaha!!

Excalibur Author's wayward son: Hay mom!!. look what I can do, tehehee
edit on 12-8-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yes a great thread and pics. You had me cracking up with the spaceballs pic to you and this thread may the Schwartz be with you...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I wonder if the intent of some of the more fanciful helmets and armor might be for protection of a different sort?

That is, "Look at my fine expensive armor - therefore, if you get the better of me, don't kill me, but take me prisoner, as I'll (obviously) make a valuable hostage, and able to pay a high ransom."

Whereas that guy wearing a old bucket on his head, just kill him, he's worthless.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This thread is now complete.....

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

now I believe the thread is complete...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Anyone with a fetish for war?

edit on 12-8-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Lol, could you imagine the damage it would still do to your face if you DID get hit by a .357 magnum, ouch! Might wish you didnt' have the mask on!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
amazing.
my husband looked at me very strangely when he asked me what I was doing and I replied "looking at combat helmets throughout history"

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

I went through your OP slowly, to take in the pictures, and then after a long time I came to the ones with huge areas around the eyes totally unprotected. At that point those looked like they would have been worn by some really stupid people

You say that, but those would have actually been worn on the battlefield, unlike many of the (fantastic) helmets in the list, which would have only been worn on jousting grounds, or kept as pieces of art.

The big eye holes would have provided the cavalry soldier wearing it with much much better visibility than full medieval style helmet (like the early ones on the list), and they would need that visibility to aim - as they were wielding a pistol, rather than a lance. These would have been some of the fuller helmets of the period, as most soldiers had stopped using a full helmet and would wear something like one of these.

Full suits of armour were rapidly going out of fashion by then, as what was the point of wearing a suit worth a small fortune when some peasant could run up with a gun and give it the blat, blat, blat with his Glock 9mm (not sure that is entirely historically accurate, but you get what I mean). Maneuverability was becoming much more important on the battlefield.
edit on 12/8/14 by FatherLukeDuke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasSeabee

now I believe the thread is complete...

"Shut up !!! I'm not an alcoholic....I'm making armour"

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Anyone with a fetish for war?

Isn't that an early Bear protection suit?
I think I have seen it before,described as such.

?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join