It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Convicted Steubenville Rapist Returns To School Football Team

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: schadenfreude

It may not be much, but I plan on contacting the various media outlets asking why they made such a big deal out of this back then, but are ignoring it now. Also will be contacting the school board.

I know it's not much, but at least another voice will be heard.

This is the only local media story I have seen on it.

www.cleveland.com...

edit on 12-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: g146541

originally posted by: schadenfreude
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

i'd rather concentrate on roided out cops first.

The way to stop rape culture, at least concerning HS football, is to stop treating these KIDS like rockstars.

There ya go!
This is correct, the young boys are not necessarily bad but extremely misguided from a very young age I guess you could call it brainwashed to believe they are just better than the next person and have certain privileges as football stars.
I agree!
This sort of behavior really should stop.

Your posts are unbelievable.

1. Rape is a very serious crime, and it leaves long lasting scars and in some cases, destroys the core of the victim, and destroys their lives: family life, child rearing abilities, job stability, and can destroy their entire lives, ie they came in to be write or save lives a s a nurse, or reach a troubled child as a teacher, but they can't hold down a job and instead end up in poverty. And with broken homes, perhaps children raised in poverty, and endangered, and a child murdered by a gang. All spiralling from the core damage done by these villians.

2. Teenage years in high school or college, are particularly sensitive to peer pressure and reputation. It would be torture for her to be in the same vicinity, able to bump into him, it would be akin to bumping into Jack the Ripper who has just murdered your family, but is considered a rock star, and you're considered nothing, debased by others in the community. It tears people apart inside and out.

Thats the severity of rape. Its a horrendous thing, and involves her sense of self worth and community presence as well.

3. Those boys did something very bad, not a little bad, something right up there with genocide. Rape and Murder are amongst the worse crimes on earth.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Want to get rid of rape culture? Get rid of scantily clad girls and roided out football players.

Rape is a crime of power and victimization. It's not just about sex. It's about violation, humiliation and "gee look what I can take from you."

So please, get rid of the 19th Century attitude.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Be careful of the emotions that are involved here. Yes it is a serious issue. I was accused of sexual harassment multiple times by the same woman. We never dated nor socialized. She just didn't like me because I made her do her job and not sham. (It was while in the military) Thankfully she kept changing her stories and finally admitted as much.

Girls are not the only victims, but guys rarely speak out as well.

Back on topic, these idiots at Steubenville recorded their deeds. They ruined themselves and the victim. This young man should be held accountable for his actions. A short stint in Juvie is not enough in my opinion. Why he was even allowed back in the school system, much less on the team leaves me next to speechless.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
UPDATE: Coach speaks out.

Update

"He was back in school since January and was suspended from all extracurricular activities for the remainder of the year. I feel that we're not really giving him a second chance. Some may look at it like that. I feel he has earned a second chance. We don't deal in death sentences for juvenile activity, and I just feel that he's earned a second chance. I've thought about it hard, and I'm with that decision. He's one of 55 players that are in good standing with their teammates and their coaches who have the same opportunity as any other player."

Read More at: www.wtov9.com...

At least the people in the comments section get it.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Ya, the couch knows that in another year, this scumbag will be off his team and moving on with life, but if the Stuebenville wins a championship, the coach knows that he will be remembered for that. Not for allowing a rapist on the team.

The coach should be fired as well by allowing this to happen.

I hope he reaps what he sows.

I believe in second chances, though not in this case. There are entirely to many thugs in sports these days and not enough role models.
edit on 12-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: Grammar

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Good for the kid, it is fine that he will be getting his life back on track.
It is not like anyone died, in fact there are people in this world murdering swaths of fellow human beings and being paraded as "heroes".
But this kid has served some of his sentence, others can get a reduced sentence, and they have killed!!!
On the brighter side... If the victim has the will, she will turn this negative into a positive and have a wonderful life, right?
An eye for an eye only leaves the world blind, amirite???

What? The guy is a thug who raped a girl, who will most likely have issues about it for the rest of her life, and you say "good for him?"

That's disgusting.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

UPDATE: Coach speaks out.

Update

"He was back in school since January and was suspended from all extracurricular activities for the remainder of the year. I feel that we're not really giving him a second chance. Some may look at it like that. I feel he has earned a second chance. We don't deal in death sentences for juvenile activity, and I just feel that he's earned a second chance. I've thought about it hard, and I'm with that decision. He's one of 55 players that are in good standing with their teammates and their coaches who have the same opportunity as any other player."

Read More at: www.wtov9.com...

At least the people in the comments section get it.

How the # did he "earn a second chance?" 'Cause he can throw a ball well? We've some screwed up priorities.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I think he's saying that the young man, as he is definitely not a kid, has served his time. That is all.

Myself? I don't think he should be allowed back into the school system, nor allowed to play sports.

I have a feeling that there will be a short news blurb on this guy in the near future where he has committed another crime. But of course, there will be those who will defend him because he wasn't given a second chance.
edit on 12-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

It's the Ol' boys network over here.

If fathers allow their daughters to remain cheerleaders on this team, with a rapist playing?

They're dumb asses.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99
Why is the truth always so unbelievable for some people?

1. Rape is a horrible crime, I guess on this we agree!
The difference between rape and murder is, the murdered cannot do anything at all, at least this girl has a chance and most rape victims are strong enough to do so, or do you believe them so weak as to let this define them?

2. Peer pressure in teen years is incredibly huge, this we agree on as well!!
These boys with the peer pressure and brainwashing telling them they are better than the rest is a powerful thing to the mind of a child. Why should this girl bumping into her offender be a bad thing as she was the one in the right?
You would think the young man would be the one embarrassed, maybe this is a local problem with the "football culture" or an error on the court system.

3. Yes these boys have committed an atrocity, we also agree upon this!!!
But to compare rape to murder is like comparing oranges to ducks, whole different league.
Once again, murder stops any further movement or association with the known world, rape does not.
Sure it sucks but if you feel the children got off easy, maybe you should take that issue up with the courts.

There we go, we seem to agree like two peas in a pod, but only I see the full ugly truth.
There are many atrocities, but some are worse than others.
Rape is bad, murder is worse, mass murder is even worse than that, mass murder without consequence is even worse than that!!
Ask yourself, what is worse than mass murder without consequence?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In most schools, football is the most important activity. Of course the coach wants him playing. gotta wonder about the coach' view on what happened. I suspect he thinks it no big deal.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

It is not like anyone died, in fact there are people in this world murdering swaths of fellow human beings and being paraded as "heroes".
But this kid has served some of his sentence, others can get a reduced sentence, and they have killed!!!
On the brighter side... If the victim has the will, she will turn this negative into a positive and have a wonderful life, right?

What? The guy is a thug who raped a girl, who will most likely have issues about it for the rest of her life, and you say "good for him?"

That's disgusting.

The young man has served his time and there are much worse atrocities happening in this world than a small case of he said/she said.
The big difference here, they are all alive!
Yes some will have mental scars, but they will probably be strong enough to continue on and do well.
If you do not feel the time served was accurate, then maybe there is something in the case that we do not know for reasons of age or just maybe the court system is corrupted.
In the end, the state says the boy has served his time.
At least he did not add murder to cover up his crime though.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

You should spend some time getting know some women who have been raped or abused. Might open your eyes.

edit on 8/12/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex
Given history, it sounds as if this young man will make a fine politician!
Maybe even president of the United States someday!
Pay back some of that "opportunity" he has been given, maybe he will even join the military and "protect" people in a far away land from an unseen foe!
Maybe he will become a "hero"...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

It's the Ol' boys network over here.

If fathers allow their daughters to remain cheerleaders on this team, with a rapist playing?

They're dumb asses.

I absolutely agree with this, any parent that would allow their children to associate with this type is just asking for turmoil.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

You should spend some time getting know some women who have been raped or abused. Might open your eyes.

I only know strong women, who don't allow small things to control their lives, and yes I know a couple who have been raped.
Rape is only as powerful as you allow it to be.
If you were not murdered you are a survivor, survivors are strong and resilient.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

That's disgusting.

The young man has served his time and there are much worse atrocities happening in this world than a small case of he said/she said.
Yes some will have mental scars, but they will probably be strong enough to continue on and do well.
If you do not feel the time served was accurate, then maybe there is something in the case that we do not know for reasons of age or just maybe the court system is corrupted.

"Because other people get away with stuff, he should too," is not logical Of course our system is corrupt. We let rapists out after spending 1/2 their sentence but jail pot smokers.

He should not be returned to his football star status after this. What he is being taught is that football stars can get away with awful things. No wonder professional athletes is full of thugs with entitlement complexes. We teach them to be that at an early age.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I don't think you really understand. OK, though.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

That's disgusting.

"Because other people get away with stuff, he should too," is not logical Of course our system is corrupt. We let rapists out after spending 1/2 their sentence but jail pot smokers.

He should not be returned to his football star status after this. What he is being taught is that football stars can get away with awful things. No wonder professional athletes is full of thugs with entitlement complexes. We teach them to be that at an early age.

I never said the boy should get away, I said he did.
I never said it was right and I was not on the jury panel either.
The state says he is good to go, this is not my fault either.
Although if these boys had committed murder to cover their crimes, they probably would have gotten a harder sentence.
Who knows, in some cultures murderers are considered heroes, strange isn't it?
I am simply pointing out the road, it is your job to go there if you wish to.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join