It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still Hope Yet Against Fighting Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This thread is part two of my original thread, which ended up not sounding too promising because of the way article was written and because of it the thread didn't take off.

It means that in future, bacteria may not develop drug-resistance at all.

First Thread

Regardless of where people stand on that, to me some hope is better than no hope at all.

I've been meaning to make a thread on this after reading an article from the newspaper about a month or so ago. A University in my city has found promising results that could help fight against antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the future and it all started with soil found in Nova Scotia which is where I'm from.

Researchers at McMaster University have found a fungus in soil they think could help fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria. As Ross Lord reports, the scientists behind the breakthrough had to sift through a lot of dirt before they found success.

The fungus, found in Kejimkujik National Park and known as AMA, is able to disarm a notorious superbug called NDM-1, one of the most dangerous antibiotic-resistant bugs that even the World Health Organization calls a “global public health threat.”

According to Ontario researchers out of McMaster University, AMA targets and blocks the drug-resistant pathogens that make our most potent antibiotics useless.

Source

This most certainly sounds a lot more hopeful than my first thread, and I hope people will enjoy this information as much as I have because the fight against antibiotic resistant bacteria is important to me because I worry about our Children's future and their children's future and it's got to see Scientist stepping up instead of leaving the problems for our future generations to deal with. It is better to tackle things while we still can before the damage is done.

I don't remember seeing a thread on this topic, and the Search isn't bringing anything up, so MODs if this has already been posted feel free to delete the thread.

I apologize if this seems rushed but I'm in a hurry, I don't want my supper to get cold. Enjoy.

Regards,

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
wow, i have always liked fungus since it expanded my mind in a field somewhere

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Was honey listed anywhere there? I keep reading that hospitals have medihoney on hand only if all the Rxs failed.

new topics

join