It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did You Sleep Last Night?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I never had to actually go to war, simply due to the age group I'm in. While I can't say that I'm thrilled with the folks who happen to be in charge overall strategies, I absolutely support, respect, and admire the brave men and women who are putting their lives on the line for us while I sit here and type on my computer waiting for my food to get here.
I hope that you are able to know this somehow, but I for one say THANK YOU to one and all.

[edit on 12/4/2004 by superdude]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Does the UK have a similer site to the one the US does to send a message to the troops?

I'd like to send them some apreciation too

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Does the UK have a similer site to the one the US does to send a message to the troops?

I'd like to send them some apreciation too

Not sure if this is the same but there is a site

www.bfpo.org.uk...

Found another one

If you have a loved one serving in the Gulf or would just like to wish our troops well, email your messages to: jon.butler@ycp.co.uk or to

digital.media@ycp.co.uk

www.thisisyork.co.uk...

[edit on 4-12-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
As often quoted...a picture is worth a thousand words

Well done

Very very well done

Sorry but a one liner is all that is needed in this case. It does not take several lines to explain what a picture can do at a galnce.

[edit on 12/4/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'll be honest, I usually sleep pretty well no matter what. I get concerned about things during waking hours. Sleep is my refuge from life's cares, concerns, etc.

Now I'm not saying I support the crap going on in Iraq. I just don't think about it a lot because I would go nuts.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
How Did You Sleep Last Night?

It's getting a little colder in Florida, had to shut the windows, but I have a new comforter, and it was really cozy!

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Grady, everyone has an opinion, and I do, too.

I see no need in slowing down on your threads such as this one. While we are sleeping soundly in our houses, dreaming of Christmas around the corner, there are fellow countrymen all over the world doing their best to insure a 747 isn't slammed into someone's Christmas tree. You placed pictures of some troops we know are working, and what they are doing. There are guys doing things around the world and we haven't a clue where or what, and we don't know about their deaths, either.

Sleep well, and enjoy the Christmas season. People are sleeping in holes, actually as well as morbidly speaking, so that we are warm and cozy.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

lovely 1st class acomodations.dont ya think?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
The 3rd photo down are UK troops, take a look at the Camo and Helmet, also no desert boots.

Thanks for pointing out that the US is not alone in Iraq. We probably could do it alone if it came to that, but it's nice to know we a part of a coalition of allies.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
well said, but are you sure its not for the betterment of a select few? how exactly are the people in zambabwa benifiting from this war?

While everyone may not benefit directly, the fight for liberty has a global effect. Where ever free men breathe, there lies the hope of all mankind.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank all our men and women in the service that endure, fight, and sacrifice for our well being. May God reward them all for their selflessness.

God Bless them and I pray for their safety and speedy return.

Thank You for this thread because sometimes in a busy life one can forget just how blessed we really are.

-Reason

[edit on 4-12-2004 by REASON]

LL1

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Send a Holiday Greeting expressing your appreciation....

anyservicemember.navy.mil...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

When you lie down tonight, give just a moment's thought to the conditions which our servicemen endure as they endeavor to bring democracy to Iraq and stability to the Middle East.

So, I think that reminding people of just what our servicemen must endure is something that should be done from time to time, because we have a tendency to forget.

I think that the servicemen would approve of these reminders

I would hope that all here would find something nice to say to a serviceman at this time of year.

...the valuable contribution these servicemen make to the betterment of all.

...there are fellow countrymen all over the world ...There are guys doing things around the world...

Where ever free men breathe, there lies the hope of all mankind

I'll sleep pretty good, if as it seems from the gender used in most of your posts, there are no women involved in this mess. Either that, or they are lucky enough to be at the Baghdad Holiday Inn.

And no, mankind doesn't not mean men and women, it means men. If you mean to wish both genders of people in the military well, then you should respect them enough to do so.

And if you have any gripes about women pulling easier duties in the service, check your pants for the reason why. Men made the rules barring women from equal service. And I personally know many women who fought to be tested under the same rules as males and were denied.

If you refuse to acknowledge womens' place as one half of the world, then you only fight for men, male priorities, male prejudice, male territory. Knowing a bunch of men were sent to invade another bunch of men, both cultures built on the free labor and oppression of women, doesn't make me sleep better or worse. It just makes me wonder what this world would be like if women and men worked together as equal partners in sustaining/creating/building a good life for everyone. Not killing and destroying and torturing so a few men can profit.

--Saerlaith

"I do not believe that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislature, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance."

Jane Addams (1860-1935),
Nobel Peace Prize Winner, 1931

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saerlaith

I'll sleep pretty good, if as it seems from the gender used in most of your posts, there are no women involved in this mess. Either that, or they are lucky enough to be at the Baghdad Holiday Inn.

And no, mankind doesn't not mean men and women, it means men. If you mean to wish both genders of people in the military well, then you should respect them enough to do so.

And if you have any gripes about women pulling easier duties in the service, check your pants for the reason why. Men made the rules barring women from equal service. And I personally know many women who fought to be tested under the same rules as males and were denied.

If you refuse to acknowledge womens' place as one half of the world, then you only fight for men, male priorities, male prejudice, male territory. Knowing a bunch of men were sent to invade another bunch of men, both cultures built on the free labor and oppression of women, doesn't make me sleep better or worse. It just makes me wonder what this world would be like if women and men worked together as equal partners in sustaining/creating/building a good life for everyone. Not killing and destroying and torturing so a few men can profit.

--Saerlaith

"I do not believe that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislature, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance."

Jane Addams (1860-1935),
Nobel Peace Prize Winner, 1931

Wow! Where did that come from? (By they way, 'men/man' is generic for 'person'. Hence=Wo'man', Wo'men') I don't believe that any of those posts were gender biased.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saerlaith

I don't care what you think. I'm tired of the PC assault on the English language. The term "man" especially used as a suffix means human or person. It has always been so and eventually English speakers will tire of the cumbersome nature of PC speech and will resort to a more convenient and sensible form.

You can console yourself with the fact that males are saddled with the generic term while the women possess a specific set of gender nouns and pronouns.

Only those living in a cave don't know the general demographics of the US military.

www.merriam-webster.com...

dictionary.reference.com...

dictionary.cambridge.org...

www.cogsci.princeton.edu...

www.askoxford.com...

www.bartleby.com...

[edit on 04/12/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I feel sorry that the soldiers were forced to enter in a war that had no impact on the freedom of their country at all. They should not be fighting an irrelevant war and exposed to such conditions. Those american soldiers should either be defending our soil or at home with their families.

Let the politicians sleep in the ditches and the soldiers in beds.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
it's ALOT tougher when one of those people is a loved one Jamuhn. After spending much time in Iraq my fiance's brother will not be coming home for the holidays. This would be expected, but for a few months we have been looking forward to this, he was suppose to arrive home today, they called last night. He's stationed in Washington currently and his parents don't even know if they are allowed to fly up to visit him. The rest of the family and I am in a wreck because the military, being who they are, promised him home, now guess where he will probably end up spending his holidays. Give me even more of a reason to hate the goverment. Not only having to listen to there lies, but to have something so meaningful waved under our noses only to have it taken away from us.

Before anyone calls me "un-american" I would like to clarify I support what he does and I am proud of the soldiers (Not there leaders).

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Strigoi
Give me even more of a reason to hate the goverment. Not only having to listen to there lies, but to have something so meaningful waved under our noses only to have it taken away from us.

Serving in the military during a time of war has never been any different. I understand your frustration, but this is the reason it is called service.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by Janus
The 3rd photo down are UK troops, take a look at the Camo and Helmet, also no desert boots.

Thanks for pointing out that the US is not alone in Iraq. We probably could do it alone if it came to that, but it's nice to know we a part of a coalition of allies.

We always have had your back Grady just as you have always watched ours. Despite our differences we will always stand side by side with US no matter the right or wrong of it. We have a shared History and value the same things. The US could have done this alone, no doubt about that, but even though our contribution is small in comparison, for a small Country like ours we are giving all that we can.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I really do appreciate all those soldiers goin over there to protect the idea of freedom in foriegn lands. As i have stated many times before in my post i live in a big military town. I see soldiers nearly every day. And i jsut cant express how much i appreciate them.

But it has been paining me for awhile this past month. I just got a job in a consumer retail store. ANd nearly every single day i work at least 30 GI's come in to my department and are looking for something. These men and women are deployin today and tomarrow and throughout next weeek, While living in this town for so long ive never seen this side of the town. Talkin to people who will be fighting and protecting freedom about 2 days from now. Ive almost started sobbing when ive seen them. They are just a bit older then me goin over to a hell hole. I see them and their wives smiling and stuff now but you can tell by the look in their eyes they just wannt hold each other and not let go.

These guys do not complain tho when they have a chance. They are ready to serve their country. They have all my respect and anything I could ever do for them i would.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join