It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did You Sleep Last Night?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
When you lie down tonight, give just a moment's thought to the conditions which our servicemen endure as they endeavor to bring democracy to Iraq and stability to the Middle East.

[edit on 04/12/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
As often quoted...a picture is worth a thousand words

Well done

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
When you lie down tonight, give just a moments thought to the conditions which our servicemen endure as they endeavor to bring democracy to Iraq and stability to the Middle East.

firstly i do feel for you trying to educate people about what our troops are put through, i myself have felt what its like to sleep with nothing but a sleeping bag, no tent or hole just a hill, in a thunderstorm in the cold hard rain, but i do think that you need to calm down with these threads.

when you put on that beret or cap then you say i will take the crap and anything thrown at me because i am defending my country.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Those pictures bring back some memories. When i was in the Army i slept through Snow, Rain, Sleet with temperatures ranging from well bellow Zero to well above. After a while you become hardened to the weather and to catching sleep whenever and where ever you could, but i don't think i ever got used to it, i don't think anyone ever does.
A point to remember is that the Troops you see here catching some Z's have probably been awake and on duty for as much as 24hrs in some cases and when they wake up from their dreams of home they will have to do it all over again.

And in answer to your question, no, sometimes i dont sleep very well at all

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Janus]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
when you put on that beret or cap then you say i will take the crap and anything thrown at me because i am defending my country.

No one denies that serving requires sacrifice and everyone should know that going in, although apprently, the sacrifices come as a surprise to some who choose to desert.

Regardless, knowing in advance that there will be sacrifices and hardships, doesn't always make them easier to endure and when you consider that those in these positions are not just there to "camp out." Their jobs still need to be done and they are often made even more dangerous by the hardships.'

So, I think that reminding people of just what our servicemen must endure is something that should be done from time to time, because we have a tendency to forget.

[edit on 04/12/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Regardless, knowing in advance that there will be sacrifices and hardships, doesn't always make them easier to endure and when you consider that those in these positions are not just there to "camp out." Their jobs still need to be done and they are often made even more dangerous by the hardships.'

yeah but it does help weed out the not cut out for military service.

So, I think that reminding people of just what our servicemen must endure is something that should be done from time to time, because we have a tendency to forget.

your right its ok to remind them but why does every focus on the bad things now? does anyone think this will help the troops? no it wont, thats the simple truth.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
your right its ok to remind them but why does every focus on the bad things now? does anyone think this will help the troops? no it wont, thats the simple truth.

Well, as someone who fought a war under such conditions, I think that the servicemen would approve of these reminders and this is not focussing on the bad, but reminding others of the reality during this season of joy. It should make some appreciate their blessings even more.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Well, as someone who fought a war under such conditions, I think that the servicemen would approve of these reminders and this is not focussing on the bad, but reminding others of the reality during this season of joy. It should make some appreciate their blessings even more.

OK then, lets remind them. Lets go and write at least one message and send it. I am sure that at this time of year, even a message from a stranger would make one service man/woman know that we appreciate what they are doing, and they are not forgotten.

anyservicemember.navy.mil...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I agree, when you are out in the boonies freezing your backside off in a shell scrape home seems an awfully long way away. It is good to remember that when Christmas comes around some of our Countrymen and Women are not so lucky as we are. Out of sight and out of mind should not apply to them.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
anyservicemember.navy.mil...

Thanks for posting this link. I sent off a message post haste. I would hope that all here would find something nice to say to a serviceman at this time of year.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

How Did You Sleep Last Night?

I didn't, not even a wink. I did take a nap though earlier this after noon, however there wasn't a bed involved. In fact I havn't slept on a bed, couch or anything softer than a floor for some time now.

Bivouac, it's an acuired taste.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

the bad things are what create the most dire consequences for the people of america, and the troops. the troops are fighting for the american people, not the american government. when thousands upon thousands of people protest then the war is not good. why would we want to help the troops do bad things?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
why would we want to help the troops do bad things?

Because some of us have the G-2 to figure out that those who fight for the liberty of others, benefit all of us and can see beyond the non-sense to recogize the valuable contribution these servicemen make to the betterment of all.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
i sleep very well ( since its just US service men and women )

not like looking at a few pictures of these people sleeping rough will give me things to think about

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

The 3rd photo down are UK troops, take a look at the Camo and Helmet, also no desert boots. Our government is too tight to provide them.
Also if you look behind the head of the second Soldier up in the 3rd photo you can see what looks like either a L86 Light Support Weapon or a L85 Individual Weapon.

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Janus]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

Originally posted by bodrul

The 3rd photo down are UK troops, take a look at the Camo and Helmet, also no desert boots. Our government is too tight to provide them.

i read it in the news on how they sent them out ill equiped
( even on the basics of body armour and so on )

blame the MOD for that

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Because some of us have the G-2 to figure out that those who fight for the liberty of others, benefit all of us and can see beyond the non-sense to recogize the valuable contribution these servicemen make to the betterment of all.

well said, but are you sure its not for the betterment of a select few? how exactly are the people in zambabwa benifiting from this war?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
THOSE TROOPS IN THE THIRD PIC ARE BLACK WATCH!
look at the first soldier, the bottle he has contains orange liquid and the bottle is the right shape and style for IRN BRU!Diet irn bru to be exsact!
man what a promotional exercise!
good pointing out of the LSW btw !
wow that was cool. finding out where they are from and what regiment by the colour of liquid and the colour of the bottle.

[edit on 4-12-2004 by devilwasp]

[edit on 4-12-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Knowing the Black Watch there is probably more than Iron Bru in that bottle, good to see the Black Watch are coming home.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Knowing the Black Watch there is probably more than Iron Bru in that bottle, good to see the Black Watch are coming home.

lol i think i know the combination , 50 mil vodka 25 mil diet irn bru or vice versa if they are going on patrol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join