It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wonder what happens if you "like" everything on Facebook?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I found a very interesting article which (I'm sad to say) validates my compulsion to be pessimistic about Facebook, or any social site that makes it bread and butter and policy decisions based on advertising alone.

I Liked Everything I Saw on Facebook for Two Days. Here’s What It Did to Me

The author shares his experience undertaking an experiment in "social" networking on Facebook.

For 48 hours everything that zipped passed him on Facebook was "liked" - even if he hated it. In the end he noted an aggressive shift in the ads he saw... and eventually the advertisers took over his virtual real estate... leaving him with virtually no space for his friends... He noted a strong conservative/right wing shift in the tone of all his 'social action' advertising, his friends could no longer so those things he submitted to his wall... only the advertisers' mind bending messages.

This is a worthwhile read... because in the end - just because Facebook calls itself a social network doesn't mean it is. In fact it is as programmed and programmable as any mainstream medias' "programming." Any social stuff you do there appears to be incidental to Facebook itself.

Thanks for reading!

Peace.
edit on 11-8-2014 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have one word for this line: AdBlock

And (

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

not surprising,

I think it has to do with the right-wing's rhetoric being easier to put together with a "left-wing"-president in power, than for a left-wing organization to distance itself from the current democratic party (which is centerist policy with a hint of progressive academic flavor/spices)
Frankly I think we will see a reverse of this trend with time, such as if/when a republican wins 2016

edit on 11-8-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing.

Luckily I only "like" my friends' and coworkers' photos.
(picnics, going to the beach,here's Elissa's little kitten, etc.)

I never click on politics,ads, etc.

I stay away from them, and have never had this problem thankfully.

edit on 11/8/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

well it's all about monetizing

when I 1st made a YT acct I subbed Sexyphil and then started getting find gay partners ads
watchd some Bleach and Naruto clips it switched...
to asian gay partners ads

had to search/watch some pr0n to get rid of those gay partners ads

L
L
I've made a quick $10 bux now and then off people
who "friend" too much and get locked out for suspicion of being stalkers or spammers.
seeing they're f-book junkies I've no pity for the fools...

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

some people get what they deserve

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
well duhr

It's set up to feed you what you say you "like" if you like 9,000,000 thing you'd expect your page to get jammed with stuff you like....

This is like... a hot chick waking around town giving out her phone numbers to guys and telling her she "likes" them then thinking it's a social commentary when her friends can't reach her phone because dudes keep calling all day...

(post by kid_of_3NKi removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is a bigger issue than this writer chose to delve into. Social media does more than create bubbles of common ground. If everyone a person ever comes I'm contact with agrees with you, how can you learn other views?

This doesn't mean change your opinion but, learn both sides objectively. These bubbles have created people that won't or can't hear a differing opinion without getting upset.

As a person that enjoys the discussion this is has become very obvious to me. If I'm very versed on a subject I'll even play devils advocate. I enjoy the debate aspect.

There are studies about this phenomenon, if you're interested the article uses the exact definition to search... not so easy to look on my cell.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Tbh the article was pretty pointless, he makes it sound as if his touching the very fabric of space, but he's actually just bombarding his friends with his likes.

What was he trying to prove? Why did he do it?

He ended "To be honest, I really didn’t like it. I didn’t like what I had done." It was a good read but a pointless article with no real mind opener.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName

not surprising,

I think it has to do with the right-wing's rhetoric being easier to put together with a "left-wing"-president in power, than for a left-wing organization to distance itself from the current democratic party (which is centerist policy with a hint of progressive academic flavor/spices)
Frankly I think we will see a reverse of this trend with time, such as if/when a republican wins 2016

Actually if you read on in the article, his facebook feed also drifted to the left as well

As day one rolled into day two, I began dreading going to Facebook. It had become a temple of provocation. Just as my News Feed had drifted further and further right, so too did it drift further and further left. Rachel Maddow, Raw Story, Mother Jones, Daily Kos and all sort of other leftie stuff was interspersed with items that are so far to the right I’m nearly afraid to like them for fear of ending up on some sort of watch list.

Then it goes to the idiotic

But maybe worse than the fractious political tones my feed took on was how deeply stupid it became. I’m given the chance to like a Buzzfeed post of some guy dancing, and another that asks Which Titanic Character Are You? A third Buzzfeed post informs me that “Katy Perry’s Backup Dancer is the Mancandy You Deserve.” According to New York magazine, I am “officially old” because Malia Obama went to Lollapalooza (like!) and CNN tells me “Husband Explores His Man-ternal Instincts” alongside a photo of a shirtless man cupping his nipples. A cloud that looks like a penis. Stop what you’re doing and look at this baby that looks exactly like Jay-Z. My feed was showing almost only the worst kind of tripe that all of us in the media are complicit in churning out yet should also be deeply ashamed of. Sensational garbage. I liked it all.

So more than likely, the reason it drifted so far right initially was because the first posts he started liking where probably far right posts. Keep in mind, before he set the baseline of only liking 4 relateds from the initial like he went on for a bit. It's possible that he just happened to hit quite a few right wing relateds before setting that rule in place which caused the initial right-wing overload. I imagine there were a few Huffington Post articles that he liked in that initial free-for-all.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

so in other words it becomes polarized.

new topics

top topics

join