It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How (un)popular Putin is really in Russia?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: iskander683

I'm not sure why my first post was deleted by some moderator. It wasn't threatening any type of thread drift but was pretty relevant to the discussion. Wont be long before this one goes as well, I suspect. Free speech!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

The state controlled media are not permitted to broadcast how the Russian people really feel about Putin. I'll bet you never saw this:

www.theguardian.com...

Videos of this event have been removed from the internet due to "copyright violation." Another incident that has been covered up by Russian censors is the truth of Putin's visit to the Voronezh region after the disastrous fires of 2010. The central government was slow to respond, leading to ill will towards Moscow and, especially, Putin. When Putin had the audacity to stage one of his childish publicity stunts, pretending to fly a helicopter that put out the fires, the locals greeted him with boos. Although this was captured on video, it, too seems to have been expunged. (If anyone has access to these videos, please post a link here!)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: iskander683

What exactly is Putin doing that is causing the history to repeat itself? EU and US make sanctions against Russia. Russia responds with just that. Nothing more, nothing less. And is it really that big of a deal? I mean, it's just one country making sanctions against EU and US, how can that affect them? Right?

And please tell me what should he do. Should he just sit back and allow for some EU and US to act like they do? Like no one should ever fight back? Well gentleman, Russia is not like that. Russia will fight back. They will not become just another puppet country.

If you are wondering why your first post got deleted, I reported it because you were not acting in the civil manner. Insulting another person what ever you think of him is just...
edit on 101k2014Mondaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Mate, like I said before, they ARE a puppet country. And that little idiot Putin is pulling the strings. Still, there is no point trying to discuss this with somebody who is so pro Russian and who has such a closed mind.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Like nothing good has ever come from the western democracy.

Funny, Internet came from western democracy.
And in the Soviet Era blue jeans and bubble gum were as good as gold.

Russia had funny habit of spying to steal western technology, why go through the effort to steal crap?
Now they steal passwords, but hey they must want them billion passwords to just to look at more western democracy crap right?

Russian Hackers Amass Over a Billion Internet Passwords

Source

edit on 11-8-2014 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2014 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

What exactly is Putin doing that is causing the history to repeat itself? EU and US make sanctions against Russia. Russia responds with just that. Nothing more, nothing less. And is it really that big of a deal? I mean, it's just one country making sanctions against EU and US, how can that affect them? Right?

The problem is that the state controlled media are not permitted to publish an objective analysis of Putin's sanctions. His ban on food imports will result in food shortages and consumer price inflation. No-one is allowed to point out this obvious fact.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Actually i remember seeing this video 3-4 years ago. What a shock right, media actually reported on this? Too bad, you were hopping nobody saw it, so then it would mean that evil Putin did it again.

Is this another try to prove something? Like those members who posted youtube links to Putin's speech from 14 years ago expecting us to take it seriously?

I mean, of course not all Russians support Putin. And maybe, before all of this happened, Putin wouldn't have had this much of support. But, after all that has been going on in the past couple of years, his popularity has only grown.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

There's possibly no way in hell we can know what will happen. It can easily go both ways. It can be a very good thing for Russia, or a very bad thing for Russian people. It's a risk Putin is willing to take. I would too.

And i agree that newspaper like in every other country is controlled by the government. But please, this is not the thread about it. I mainly want to discuss about his (un)popularity, not about media.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The real problem is we will never know what the Russian people think. They have a long history of knowing to love whomever is leading the country or keep their mouth shut. It is no suprise that the media that once existed that would dare to criticized Puntin have all been shut down, that reporters who did not tow the line have has a high rate of accidents, the businsess men who opposed him lost their companies, that now even on online you can not hide who you are and complain, that even if your girl punk band you end up in jail. So if you are Russian and you want to live your life, you keep your mouth shut, hail the leader, vote for him and always say how great everything is. This is how it has been for most of Russias existance. Putins popularity is in Russia is frankly irrelevant because everybody knows to tow the party line.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Read my post again. I said nothing good ever comes out from western DEMOCRACY. Were i wrong? I mean just look at the countries that received "help" from US and NATO. Look at Serbia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Lybia, shall I continue or do you get my point now?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Actually i remember seeing this video 3-4 years ago. What a shock right, media actually reported on this? Too bad, you were hopping nobody saw it, so then it would mean that evil Putin did it again.

On the contrary, I specifically asked for a link to the videos so that I could use them as evidence. My point is that the state control of the media makes it impossible for people to have a fair and objective view of Putin and his policies. It also makes it impossible to judge how the people actually feel about him, as only evidence of his overwhelming popularity is permitted.

The Russians I know seem to accept the "news" they are getting as being proof of Putin's genius. They cannot understand that his "sanctions" will hurt the Russian people, or even that his invasion of Ukraine was just that: an invasion.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I agree.

Have you watched the videos i posted. A thousand of people waiting in line to buy a Putins shirt. Which means that there are in fact, people who support him.

I strongly disagree with you. It is possible for Russian people to be objective simply by using the Internet, looking after every information and then coming to a conclusion. Same is for people here on ATS. Most of us are sick and tired of mainstream media reporting "news", so we came here searching for the real information.

The Russians I know, seem to be supporting Putin. I will admit, many are supporting him simply because they don't like US and/or EU, but they still support him.

And can we please talk facts here. We do not know what this sanctions will bring to anyone. We have yet to see how this whole situation will develop. Plus you are yet again by using the word invasion trying to mislead people into making them think it was something that it wasn't. Yes, Russian army was present in Ukraine. Yes they broke the sovereignty of Ukraine. No the Russian army didn't commit not one military action. Those are the facts.
edit on 127k2014Mondaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

But now, i realize that you actually hate Russian people in general.

Really you got that from where, as I have nothing against the people of Russia?

I mean, implying that people in Russia cannot think for themselves and basically saying that they are stupid, proves it all.

I see your comprehension skills are a bit rusty, because I never said they can't think for themselves, but what I have said is they are only getting what the Russian governments wants to give them.

They do not have the freedom to watch anything other than state run media, of which none of them will tell them the truth, because if they do that they risk losing approval rating points, and I have never called the Russian people stupid so I'd appreciate you don't put words in my mouth.

Do you think they base their opinion on just what's being said on the news? Do you think they cannot think for themselves? I think you are wrong. I think a lot of Russia people actually know what's going on in the world and that's why they at least don't hate Putin. Think about that.

Yes I do, because if you only see what the Kremlin allows you to see what thoughts are you going to have. Russian media makes everything look as though Russia is doing fine and yet it doesn't offer the counter to what they say and report.

How do you think they know what's going on in the world...State run media that's how. And what does state run media give you...whatever keeps the population in check and don't give them a reason to think differently.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I WANT A PUTIN T SHIRT THAT MAN HAS BIG BALLS ,LONG LIVE PUTIN,wish putin was the uk prime minister ,instead of the fool cameron

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

You cleverly tried to ignore the fact that there's this thing called the Internet in Russia also. Or are you saying that, Putin is controlling the Internet too??!?!?!? You never responded to me, you just coincidentally overlooked this.

You indirectly said Russian people cannot think for themselves. You said they like most of the world are being fed by the fake news that the state media are reporting. And you were not wrong. BUT, like most of the world, people in Russia can use the Internet and see everything that is going on in their country and the world. Or is the Internet banned by that evil Putin?

People can see anything they want to. Just because mainstream media is reporting something, doesn't mean everyone will take it seriously.
edit on 136k2014Mondaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Read my post again. I said nothing good ever comes out from western DEMOCRACY. Were i wrong? I mean just look at the countries that received "help" from US and NATO. Look at Serbia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Lybia, shall I continue or do you get my point now?

I look over at Germany, Berlin Wall gone.
How about Poland, out of the Iron Curtain and into the Free World.
All of them formerly repressed Iron Curtain satellites seem to choose Freedom over Russia's Iron boot. Ukraine would be gone to the EU if it wasn't for Putin's meddling. It most likely will end up as a Western Democracy by the will of it's people given enough time. The days of Soviet domination are over, people want open societies.

All them countries you listed are plagued by this little thing called radical Islam bent on enforcing Shiria Law with a rusty sword.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

No the Russian army didn't commit not one military action.

So when those little green men...

Crossed into Crimea and helped takeover the Ukraine military base, you wouldn't call that a military action?

Armed men of one country annexing another countries land, you wouldn't call that a military action?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You cleverly tried to ignore the fact that there's this thing called the Internet in Russia also.

And you seem to have missed this...

Putin has chipped away at Internet freedom in Russia since he returned to the Kremlin in 2012, blaming social media platforms for helping organize massive Moscow street protests that attracted thousands of people chanting “Russia without Putin.” Since then he’s casually referred to the Internet as a Central Intelligence Agency plot against Russia, offered a $110,000 bounty for anyone able to crack the Tor anonymity network, and last week enacted a law that forces all bloggers with 3,000 or more daily readers to register with the government.

Popularly known as the “law on bloggers,” that legislation compels online writers (who until now have enjoyed the web as one of the last places in Russia where dissidence went uncensored) to provide their home address and other details to a government that is, in many cases, the subject of their work.

Bloggers will now be held to the same standard of mass media outlets: Writers are forbidden from using foul language (which is now equated with “hooliganism”) and spreading false information, a loosely defined term that puts the onus on the writer, not the subject, to prove his claim.

“If a blogger insinuates that a public official is corrupt and they can’t provide it they could face very steep fines,” Kevin Rothrock, a Russian policy analyst and chief editor of RuNet Echo, which aims to increase understanding of the Russian Internet, told the International Business Times. “It’s certainly not like the American law when you can call President Obama a Nazi Martian and he can’t do anything about it just because he’s a public official.”

www.ibtimes.com...

. And you were not wrong. BUT, like most of the world, people in Russia can use the Internet and see everything that is going on in their country and the world. Or is the Internet banned by that evil Putin?

Not banned, but highly policed and regulated by the Kremlin as shown above.

People can see anything they want to. Just because mainstream media is reporting something, doesn't mean everyone will take it seriously.

When you only have one source for your news how do you not take what they say seriously when that is all you have?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Again, misleading. During the takeover that base, not one soldier got killed. They surrender, remember? And also, there was a vote in Crimea to join Russia. Again, not a single dead person. Then, the Russian military men retreated, and then the Ukraine got their Nazi government and then they went into crusade against Russian civilians with a couple of Russian soldiers that came there on their own will to help protect innocent people against raging Ukrainian army.
edit on 152k2014Mondaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

I WANT A PUTIN T SHIRT THAT MAN HAS BIG BALLS ,LONG LIVE PUTIN,wish putin was the uk prime minister ,instead of the fool cameron

You can always move to Moscow where you can buy the shirt and Praise Putin til your hearts content.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join