It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question ATS More…

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: Fr33domPoet
DENY IGNORANCE

The ATS site no longer advocates the mindset of "Deny Ignorance" and the motto has been erradicated from all but the small print.

Advertising is more important in the money per pixel scenario.

It's up to US to continue the motto and show that we're not all goons.

Well Said

Ditto

2nd line

edit on 2014-08-12T08:11:18-05:002014Tue, 12 Aug 2014 08:11:18 -0500bTuesday1108America/Chicago148 by corblimeyguvnor because: text inserted incorrect position

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Isn't it just awful to find out that the staff of ATS are human beings and have opinions?

No, really... it'd be so much better if staff were faceless bots that never presented their own feelings on various topics, right?

How do I feel about MSM (RT included)?

I feel that there are some I trust a little and others I don't trust at all. Every one of them has 'corporate interests', others 'political interests' but almost none are truly unbiased. None. Not even in the 'blogosphere'.

The trick is to parse the obvious from the questionable. To me, RT is obviously politically motivated.

Now you can attack me for having an opinion.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
From my perspective... I'm not (and I'm not sure everyone else is) arguing that RT are the bestest ever news source and stands head and shoulders above others as a bastion of free speech and morality.

The point, IMHO, is that SO - as the site owner - has singled out RT for criticism and attack while ignoring that other US and UK media outlets and channels do The exact same thing.... not slightly different because Putin has more influence, but the exact same thing.
All MSM should be questioned.... ALL of it
They pick and choose what to report... they omit extremely important events and stories because the US Gov or perhaps a private party with concerns, decides they don't want the story to run... they are very biased, sometimes subtly and sometimes blatantly.
Several US news presenters and journalists have lost their jobs for speaking out about issues... like The Iraq war etc... and there have been documentaries like the exposé on the killings in Bahrain of protesters etc which was not allowed to air and was pulled and NOT reported by US media, because they were instructed not to.

This whole RT/SO thing has been going on for a while and I think it's very troubling.
edit on 12/8/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Why? you having an opinion means you have an opinion, yes?. deny ignorance, deny agenda's, deny MSM including BBC, CNN, FOX, RT to name but a few ........ ffs, work it out for yourselves

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The point, IMHO, is that SO - as the site owner - has singled out RT for criticism

And that is a problem how? Does his standing as a site owner preclude him from having an opinion? Does it preclude me as a super moderator or anyone else on staff?

Should anyone, staff or member alike, not be allowed to speak out (as long as it's within the T&C's)?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Bravo for this magnificient OP!
I wish I was as articulated as you in my explanations.
S & F sir.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
― Mark Twain

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Its not really about the staff being human or not, its about knowing your power and using it wisely.
I have said it before, and i'l say it again, S.O little threads have a huge impact on what people think here, i think that's sad, because of all places you would expect ATS to be the one place where people can think for themselves.

However, making biased threads and putting on blinders when running the biggest conspiracy site on the internet, that doesn't sit well with me. To me it feels as if S.O has been spending a little to much time on the marketing side of life and losing his "self" when he started this venture.

He could at least have used that html thingi that flyerfan always uses( this is my personal .... bla bla bla ), he designed it so why not use it, like all of the moderators should need to do.

The thing that annoys me the most is that it seems we are running towards a coldwar 2.0 and S.O seems to play right in this agenda to persuade people in drinking the coolaid and shun all that is Russian.

Because of some recent behavior which is becoming more and more clear I have decreased my activity here on ATS and will continue to do so. ATS has lost its roots, and everyone here knows it. It has become a beacon of hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Absolutely not... have whatever opinion you like.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

The point, IMHO, is that SO - as the site owner - has singled out RT for criticism

And that is a problem how? Does his standing as a site owner preclude him from having an opinion? Does it preclude me as a super moderator or anyone else on staff?

Should anyone, staff or member alike, not be allowed to speak out (as long as it's within the T&C's)?

NO, but it would appear that he is pushing an agenda to discredit RT, all news channels are BS hitters, perhaps a disclaimer would suffice, you know, along the lines of "Other News Channels are available"

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Why do you guys keep playing this card ?

Of course he's intitled to his own opinion regarding RT derp derp !

But didn't he mention their was backdoor talk about banning RT from ATS ?

maybe this is why some members are upset ?

But to be a realist here SO's opinion does mater on ATS he's the site owner .. And when his opinion goes against popular opinion it causes discord and uncertainty.

I understand you would like to make it black and white but unfortunately its not .

His opinion about RT really made wake...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll
To me it feels as if S.O has been spending a little to much time on the marketing side of life and losing his "self" when he started this venture.

If S.O. didn't work hard at marketing and coding this site, it wouldn't exist. Period.

Does that make him into someone who has no right to speak his mind on any particular topic? Not in my books, it doesn't. He has every right to voice his personal opinion just as much as you do.

He could at least have used that html thingi that flyerfan always uses( this is my personal .... bla bla bla ), he designed it so why not use it, like all of the moderators should need to do.

That's a personal option for staff to use in particular situations. I think you'll note my choice here.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

To me it feels as if S.O has been spending a little to much time on the marketing side of life and losing his "self" when he started this venture.

If S.O. didn't work hard at marketing and coding this site, it wouldn't exist. Period.

Does that make him into someone who has no right to speak his mind on any particular topic? Not in my books, it doesn't. He has every right to voice his personal opinion just as much as you do.

That's a personal option for staff to use in particular situations. I think you'll note my choice here.

Perhaps we should all stop at trying to emulate Rupert Murdoch then, just saying

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I have no quarrel with you and wouldn't want one either, I like your paintings :d

that said, ATS has always been a platform, the content comes from the users, and doesn't matter if the site is pretty or not, no users no content, no ATS period. Which each website upgrade there has been a decline in user content.
I mean ATS promoted the sloth the TL;DR thing, of all places lol.

All these changes where things no one asked for, and heck these changes where only made to make more revenue, ease of access. Lets call a cat a cat.

Afcourse S.O has every right so, its his website, but his voice carry's a lot of weight. And he knows this.
About the tag, if your not using it I assume that your speaking on behalf of ATS.

edit on thAmerica/Chicago812uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Afcourse S.O has every right so, its his website, but his voice carry's a lot of weight. And he knows this.
About the tag, if your not using it I assume that your speaking on behalf of ATS.

Exactly and that's the point.... With great power comes great responsibility.
SO is not just A.N.Other member... he's not a regular Joe... his voice has sway, his words carry weight.
If he keeps making these posts and threads picking on ONE... yes just ONE Channel/news source while ignoring the others doing the same things and using the same tactics.... as a site owner, that is not good.

SO is the site President effectively... our Leader.

Imagine the president or prime minister telling us not to get our news from somewhere or being as biased as SO has been.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Stephen Harper, my Prime Minister, would have, and does not, have any qualms about dissing certain news outlets when talking to reporters (which he honestly doesn't do if he can help it at all). His disdain for public opinion is well known.

And here we are, saying an owner of a website should not speak his mind.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

To answer Your question, not sure if it got answered yet, Yes. Look here: Your Question Follows:
"Isn't there some recent legislation or debate going on about further legalizing/legitimatizing lying to the American public for propaganda purposes?" Yes;

www.maxkeiser.com...

(first posted in Feb.) First time since 1948, propaganda is now legal in the U.S.
Read more at www.maxkeiser.com...

On 12/29/12, President Obama signed HR 4310, the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act. Section 1078 (thomas.loc. gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.4310
of the bill authorizes the use of propaganda inside the US, which had previously been banned since 1948 when the Smith-Mundt Act was passed.
Read more at www.maxkeiser.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Great OP. Great Replies. Ok discussion. Some overreaction from some in power. That's expected, after all this isn't "our" sandbox.

That said.

RT is as reliable as any other media source out there. Folks only take what they want to take from whatever source they frequent. If I hate Obama on a particular Tuesday I am not going to MSNBC

9 times outta 10 ATS will be the first site I visit while drinking my morning cup. It's not because of all the true accounts and non biased reporting. Its because of this one thing... I truly and honestly believe if this world was to cease to exist as we know it the fine folks of the ATS community (Senators, Ex-Presidents, Congressman, Masons, Hollywood, White House, People in the know, the Military and Me) would be the FIRST to let others know. A heads up like that is worth the 10- 20 minutes in the morning I give to ATS.

Long story short. Media is nothing more then non-fiction fiction. It is written by someone with their own pov and spin then reported by someone who agrees with the pov and spin.

At the end of the day media is bought and sold. CNN, MSNBC, FOX and even ATS they are all in it to make money. If they knew they could make more money selling something else they would do it. Just remember that is what they are doing. They are selling, all the time. Purchase wisely.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Liberal1984

I prefer to stick to the topic, thanks. This is about S.O.'s right to voice an opinion on his own website (or not).

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join