It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question ATS More…

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Liberal1984

I have a question for you and I am thinking off the top of my head as I write, so please excuse me if it comes off uninspiring.

After thinking about your post for a day now, I can't help but have to question everything I see, hear and read - everywhere! Not that I didn't before, but I feel somehow things have been altered a bit, given the months past events and some peculiarities I've recently noticed.
I am on the east coast of the USA and I am in the commercialized center of the illusionary 'free world'. What does one do for information about the events around the world we live, if everything we have access to is jaded?
The western media with its commercial bias and the RT with its propaganda, even this site would fall under the category of one or the other since much, if not all, is somehow connected and intertwined. How does one begin to develop an understanding of any situation without the above so mentioned?
Personal research/detective work or just plain stand down.
In this information age, information is abundant and knowledge is power. If much of the information presented has been tampered with, even if just for selected viewing, it is all suspect and from a standpoint of fact finding - useless!

How does one compensate for this dilemma, other then sticking ones head in the ground?
edit on 8/12/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mrsdudara

I like your approach!.... there are many things that commercially produced news can definitely tell us... however expecting it to be devoid of spin, editorial slant, or memetic framing is nothing short of lunacy, expectations be damned... we should openly demand it. Eventually that message will supersede the entrenched stupidity of presumptuous elites framing reality for the masses.

I like to focus on their attributions and selection of 'expertise' to use on many issues... Compare and contrast.... it's one of those things our kids should practice in Kindergarten.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm not entirely sure why people are willing to believe Russian propaganda over western propaganda, but whatever floats their boat I suppose. Trusting any mainstream media to promote anything even resembling the truth of the matter just seems ridiculous to me.

Choosing one poison over another.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum What does one do for information about the events around the world we live, if everything we have access to is jaded?

one absorbs all available information and decides which of it is true, and which is baloney.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

That was exactly my point.
If ALL available information is tampered with, then their is no way of disseminating what is or isn't baloney.

99% of the truth will never make 100% and if we don't know what that 1% is, then it's all useless!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I just spent 2 hours 40 minutes reading all comments.

And I'm terribly sleepy, so please excuse any spelling mistakes.

The owner of this website has every right to post his own opinion.

(Though if he were to ban RT then perhaps other sources should be banned too.)
But RT isn't getting banned from ATS, according to what I read here.

I like to think that as an adult -who's traveled around the world, studied, learned about other cultures, and religions, etc.- I am able enough to make up my own mind about things, and am able enough to see when a news source is spitting out BS.

Whenever creating a thread here I actually check 2-3 different sources of the same new discovery, or latest scientific breakthrough before I even think of posting about it.

I don't just go to one source.

I think, and this is my opinion only, and nothing else, that some people got upset, because they felt that they have the right to look at all the major news sources available.

So basically, I think both SO is correct in having and posting his own opinion, and the ATS members are correct in being allowed to use all major news sources to get to the truth.

Boy, aren't we in a pickle?

People have been heard, and other people have responded.
No solution is actually needed since SO has a right to share his opinion and RT won't be banned.

Phew!
I'm done.
Call me Switzerland
lol
Going to sleep.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars

I like your approach!.... there are many things that commercially produced news can definitely tell us... however expecting it to be devoid of spin, editorial slant, or memetic framing is nothing short of lunacy, expectations be damned... we should openly demand it. Eventually that message will supersede the entrenched stupidity of presumptuous elites framing reality for the masses.

I like to focus on their attributions and selection of 'expertise' to use on many issues... Compare and contrast.... it's one of those things our kids should practice in Kindergarten.

Had to quote you because it was so beautifully put it deserved a second read.

I agree, we should openly demand it. However, I have begun to loose hope that any message will supersede money.

I find myself with an unusual point of view. I was unable to attend college, but was determined to learn. So, I have spent any free time I have had over the past many years, teaching myself. During my journey I learned how great of an influence politics has over what a person is allowed to learn in all schools. I have found that there are some journalists who are great at what they do because they love to tell a great story (aka gossip) and there are some who are great because they have a passion for history, politics, law, etc. I love to listen or read their views. I am to the point now that if they do not have a passion for one of the above, I don't pay them any attention.

Crazy how in the teens and twenties, everything seems like a big deal. Everything is so serious. The world is getting ready to go to war, the market is going to crash, a pandemic is going to wipe out the population. Bees are going to die and leave us without food, or a super volcano you recently learned of could erupt at any moment. You have a moment of enlightenment where you think maybe Israel is not as innocent as you learned in all your Sunday school stories, simultaneously you learn how nasty people can be when you have a contrasting opinion.

Then you realize that nothing is news. The world is always in this state of chaos, and it will always continue to be. You realize that some people dedicated their lives to perfecting playground drama, and those people became politicians and (some) journalists.

A bit further down the road you realize the pen truly is mightier than the sword. Using the right words you can dictate a persons opinions, create hate, drive society to war, or convince them to give all their money to save ____.

Toss all pretty words aside and you will find facts or a lack there of. From there, create the time line, find the money trail and the players. The truth is there to be found no matter who is telling the story.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I am honored to have received such a response. Thank you kindly.

It takes a kind of honesty few are willing to entertain, for those who seek a clear understanding of where there is information... and where there is noise, so to speak. Particularly because the noise is made so "entertaining."

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Indigo5

ETA: I don't really see much of a difference between state=sponsored and corporate-sponsored media these days either. And most are one or the other or both.

I do feel like this has been clearly explained repeatedly..

The difference between "State Sponsored News/Media" and Corporate Sponsored Media...is rooted in Capitalism...or a singular agenda that doesn't tolerate dissent or challenge vs. Multiple Competing Agenda's that debate, attack, compete against one another.

It is the same premise as Democracy vs. Tyranny...the "Free Market" of ideas..vs. Dictate and Oppression.

Put another way...if there was a singular corporation responsible for all advertising on all networks, then you could say..What's the difference between Capitalistic driven bias and State Sponsored Propaganda.

Or put another way ..That capitalistic competition (Thousands of competing corporate interests) (Hundreds of competing news networks) is why US Media is Bias, but rarely PROPAGANDIST (a singular State agenda)...because the capitalistic competition plus free speech both police the US media...like we do here on ATS.

Any US News outlet that fabricates news is at risk of losing credibility...thus viewership...thus advertisers.

RT News has no such worries...In contrast they are funded directly by the State.

One is a deer, one is a backyard statue of a deer?

Don't know how else to explain it. It frightens me that so many people seem unable to tell the difference.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
...Don't know how else to explain it. It frightens me that so many people seem unable to tell the difference.

It frightens me that you think there's much of a difference. It's been stated here time and time again that most here are not blindly accepting spin so much as parsing nuggets of factoids--or dichotomies--that lead to further research. What's wrong with that? Peace.

edit on 13-8-2014 by The GUT because: clatification

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Former RT News Anchor Sara Firth:
"We do work for Putin. We are asked on a daily basis if not to totally ignore then to obscure the truth."

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I don't doubt it. How is that a counterpoint to what I said? It's not.

edit on 13-8-2014 by The GUT because: clean up

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Here's my 2 cents.. To find the truth in current events you must look at all sides of the story. Pay attention to as many different MSM and alternative sources as possible. For example I will usually look at what CNN, BBC, RT, euronews, Al Jazeera, and some Asian networks are saying, take all of them with a rather large chunk of salt, and then see where they match up.
If you take a global perspective you are going to bypass most of the b/s biased journalism that you get from all news media, and get at least somewhere nearer to the actual truth of events.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Sorry to break the bubble for you, but ATS actually have a lot of members that are not from the US, including myself. I didn't know this was an american site only.

By the way, you really do sound like a typical brainwashed patriot that has been fed by MSM lies for soo long. God, i really wonder why do people have a negative attitude towards almost every US government have ever had. If you don't understand it, then I'm sorry to tell you but ATS is not a place for you.

On-topic. This is about ALL MSM. Not just American or Russian. If SO were to ban RT from ATS, then it would undoubtedly mean ATS lost it's independency. Just because RT publishes something you don't like, does it mean it should be banned?

I'm sorry, but you need to get out of your box and see the things for what they actually are.
edit on 349k2014Wednesdayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
is there that much of a difference between the capitalist media outlets? for example up here in the northeast, non union workers and customers of the grocery chain Market Basket, have brought a billion dollar company to its knees. this has been going on for 3 weeks, i have yet to see any word of it on any national news outlets - whether liberal or conservative. it hasn't even been brought up here.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Liberal1984

This thread shows you one of those ironies of life.

Just cause someone is Elite, either on website or in Federal Reserve or Pentagon....it doesn't mean things will go according to plan.

This thread has taught the elite of this site, a huge lesson.

If you give people taste of Freedom Of Thought, if you ever try to take it away, you will have war on your hands.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Looking good there Mr. Tito, you did a lot of good, held a country together, like Gadafi held Libya.

Your only problem was not leaving replacement during lifetime.

Tito should have been smart enough to foresee problems, but when we get old, we ain't as sharp as we used to be.

Breakup of Yugoslavia was quite a tragedy, with the help of US, Germany, and Yugoslavians (Croatians, Slovenians, and even Serbs )willing to take the money and sell their country. Foster separations, violence etc.

I sometimes speak with "Yugoslavians in the western world" and we always agree that people in government sold their country for foreign money and promises. But at the same time, I can see in their eyes, they too would have taken the millions.

Can you imagine bitching at someone for taking the money, and yet if money was offered to you, you would take it too.

GREED, PURE GREED, people are sick

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm confused...what was taken away on this site? RT has not been banned...

a reply to: FootBig

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: smkats

This is a perfect example of Media bias and not propaganda.

New England is very pro union, and their media more so than the average Joe. Market Basket is a non union company and has fought hard to prevent union takeover. The employees who work there do so because they don't want to be part of a union and because they support the president who was fired. The president offered amazing benefits, bonuses, good pay etc, and the board feels less should go to the employee and more to the shareholders.

The board is also pro union, so by ousting the president the paved the way for union takeover. It looks like this may be resolved shortly as the ex president is in talks to buy majority of the company and oust the board, including his own cousin who staged the coup.

Your local Media seems to be portraying it that the fact they are non union is why they are having trouble...and that if this were a union company everything would be just gravy...

Bias, not propaganda.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

There are pillars of propaganda.

(1) Spin/Fabricate

(2) Discredit facts or evidence unfavorable to your agenda/theme. Appeal to conspiratorial thinking.

50 years ago (1) was simpler. With the advent of the internet (2) is where the traction is.

Question facts..."Propose" alternatives suitable to your propaganda agenda without concern for facts.

RT News chooses the questions to ask and suggests the answers.

So, to answer your question...It is frightening to me to discover the success of RTs campaign to discredit evidence and facts.

No one is demanding that you or anyone else accept MSM accounting of facts or evidence. RESEARCH...and RESEARCH some more...I would argue if you did that you would quickly discover that RT News regularly "Questions" well substantiated facts and evidence to suit their propaganda...and that MSM MOST OFTEN/NOT 100% gets those foundational facts correct.

If RT News was interested in truth...they Wouldn't make it their business to "Question More"...they would make it their business to engage in actual journalism and "Answer More" through research, interviews and sources.

RT News is in the business of discrediting the truth.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join