It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redheads is this the reason why they are fiery?.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Now before I go on I just wanna say I love redheads it is the one thing that makes me look twice and all my ex wives were and still are redheads.
Now a couple of them used to get so fiery they duffed me up over me being 20 mins late from work and when one burnt our tea she gave me two black eyes....I can laugh now though lol.
But this little study may explain why they can be fiery a snippet.

Redheads may be hotheads, but they get colder faster. They also bruise more easily. And they feel more pain.

www.psychologytoday.com...

I just hope one of my exs was in the study with the electric shocks lol.

Last bit from the article.

Could a fiery, short temper even be a pain avoidance mechanism? Why not--after all, a good offense can be the best defense.

So what do you think? any redheads in?.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

We all know what good fighters the Irish are. They have red hair in their lineage?

Seeing red.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yup the report says that redheads needed more anaesthesia to knock them out confirming that.
Oh just to add as a child I was a redhead but it went brown by 6 or 7.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: intrptr

Yup the report says that redheads needed more anaesthesia to knock them out confirming that.
Oh just to add as a child I was a redhead but it went brown by 6 or 7.

I've got Irish in the bloodline. The hair on my head is darkish, ruddy blonde, but my chin whiskers grow red.
I can out drink men twice my size. I went to the dentist many years back to have wisdom teeth pulled and the anaesthetic had practically no effect.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That study for anesthesia (here: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...) was a surprisingly small sample size. Just 20 Caucasian women - 10 redheads, 10 dark haired women. They did claim statistically significantly differences, but I am surprise this was achieved.

In any case, I have met some hot tempered redheads... but I have also met some pretty mild-mannered ones. In my personal experience they don't seem all that different. They burn easier and have more sensitive skin - that much is true. But in terms of personality, I don't see a huge divide between them and non-redheads.

If there is a personality difference, I think it would be hard to tease out if such differences were due to nature or nurture. Is it some genetic difference or is to due to the fact that they grew up singled-out because of their unusual hair? Did people around them tease them or expect them to behave a certain way because of their hair? Were they pigeon-holed into certain behaviors?

I had reddish hair when I was a baby too, but it turned blonde and stayed blonde. (Although, now as an adult it's a darker shade of blonde then it was when I was a kid.) I have sensitive skin that burns easily, much like a red-head. I wonder where blondes are supposed to fall on this red-head/dark hair attitude scale.

Thanks for posting - fun topic.

edit on 11-8-2014 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There are baby and childhood photos of me with dark golden reddish brown hair in the sun, almost a dark sparkly pink colour as the red is in the highlights. Looking at a strand of my hair in the sun is like looking at a rainbow, sort of iridescent gold and pink sparkles on lightish brown. It is an unusual colour, I wouldn't say auburn or ginger or even strawberry blonde unless it's dark blonde dipped in strawberry coloured juice, so I have never considered myself a ''redhead''.

I also don't bruise easily and I tan easily, a few hours in the sun and I turn golden, longer and I get more of a deeper shade of golden, never quite brown nor reddish tanned like some.

My temper isn't that bad. I do have high pain threshold, possible reaction to anaesthetic, and some allergies.

I was reading something last night about blood types and happened upon a website that has some details about racial types based on haplotypes. I am also not sure about some of the things it says but it does have some sound science to it regarding blood type studies, haplogroups and geographical distribution. It also considers interactions between Cro Magnon, Neanderthal and Denisovan.

Anyway, according to that I might be 'White Nordic' with a smidge of 'Red Nordic' and maybe somewhere along the line some Asian. However that is just going by appearances according to their descriptions, the real story of my genetic origins might be something else. My blood group A+ is prevalent in Scandinavia and my personality matches White Nordic though yet to have more detailed blood type and haplotype analysis.

An interesting part of it is the description of characteristics of personality it attached to each type. It listed 'Red Nordic' as being redheads and of volatile and violent temperament.

I read as far as some of Armenid types as it was late.

I suggest anyone reading it should scroll down as it first looked like an ad for racism but it isn't.

europasoberana.blogspot.co.uk...

edit on 11-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

i had the same experience at the dentist. I'm not Irish, but I have red hair. I've had a couple dentists try to numb my mouth with no effect. They said some people just can't get numb. I also can out drink everybody I know, but that's likely my German lineage.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

when one burnt our tea she gave me two black eyes

Hummm what did you say or do when she burnt the tea?

I am a redhead and I think I feel everything more than most, when I care I really care, but yes make me angry and I am really angry! Still haven't blacked anyones eyes yet :-)!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I wont talk about the black eye part,, but volatile, I can be....
Been a redhead from birth....as a kid I hated the dentist because the freezing never helped much......
Yep I do get cold easily, (could be my age) but was always like that.....worse by far now.....
And bruising is easier with age maybe cause now it seems to kind of make blood blisters almost under the skin easily...
So....id say they have a point.....Though I have no anesthetic data....pain killers seem weak on me....peace out

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
ALl i have to say is i just started a new job, and theres this oh so beautiful red head girl, oh my that czech accent, those sweet green eyes, fire red curly hair and those oh so inviting lips.

Oups got off topic there.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If you are a red head you have red hair till it turns white or sometimes gray. If you are a red head you have red hair on your head, red on your beard if you are male, and fire down below. I'm sure the study was not done on what color the hair the adults had when they were babies.

I'm a true red head with blue eyes. I come from a long line red heads. Every oldest male in my family for 4 generations has red hair. The sun is our worst enemy. I like the weather dark and cold. I have a bad temper but not all the red heads in my family do.

A funny thing about being a red head is find some people that are infatuated with your hair. I have a big red beard and girls always want to touch my beard. Black girls and women seem to always like my hair, they stop me on a regular basis and say something about my hair.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RammerJammer

There is a gene that causes red hair and there are many shades of red. Some are carrot orange, deep red auburn, strawberry blonde, ginger.

Hair colour is determined by two alleles, it is the mixture that gives tonal and colour variation.

I grew up in Scotland where there is more bright orange as in carrot and orange red than I have seen in any other land.

The red colour in hair tends to persist. Any woman with red in her hair will know that even if lightened, the reddish tone persists. I know this from experience, also from knowing hair chemistry and talking to hairdressers.

My own hair as a child in photos really showed a reddish dark blonde / golden brown and even though I lighten my hair, my natural hair colour has a reddish tone. Like the doll in this photo and the dark titian blonde in the other photo.

Because my hair has gold and brown tones as well as reddish pink, I wouldn't say 'redhead' as a description of me.

Also some redheads that have very red hair do tan and some don't bruise easily. Also some might have other coloured body hair and those men that have blonde or brown hair and red beards have obvious red hair genes.

Genetics doesn't just offer either or, there are many admixtures and dominant genes that gives people many variations of hair and skin colour.

udel.edu...

Hair color is determined by the amount of eumelanin (which is dark brown) and pheomelanin (which is reddish).

The amount of eumelanin ranges continuously from very little, producing light-blonde hair, to large amounts, producing black hair. People with large amounts of pheomelanin have red hair, which can range from pale red ("strawberry blond") to bright red to reddish brown.

Most studies divide hair color into a small number of categories, such as blond, red, and brown. Reed (1952) criticized the subjectiveness of this approach and used a reflectance spectrophotometer to measure the amount of light reflected by hair at different wavelengths.

He found that there was no clear separation of hair into two categories; instead there were some individuals with intermediate hair that could not easily be classified as red or non-red.

Reed (1952) also examined hair under a microscope and found the reddish pheomelanin granules that are common in red hair were also in some individuals with brown hair.

This suggests that when the red pheomelanin pigment is present, whether a person has red hair is determined by the amount of brown eumelanin pigment that the person also has.

edit on 11-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I have two weaknesses in life one is redheads and the other is highheels, well make that 3 redheads wearing highheels.
The IRS would like to have the money I have spent on Redheads, of course they would like the money I spent on anything.

I have always described redheads this way.. When it's good its really good but when its bad its time to run.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Could a fiery, short temper even be a pain avoidance mechanism? Why not--after all, a good offense can be the best defense.

Or any avoidance so we don't have to give pain to others?! For the questions asked on a daily basis to the snickering. Yeah, I figure a combo of that and what we have to endure such as with the teasing. Even as adults, while most adults are a little more mindful and apologetic if they slip up in front of you, you can still be the focus of jokes. Moreso now thanks to Southpark in the US especially.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RammerJammer

just loved this song

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I have always described redheads this way.. When it's good its really good but when its bad its time to run.

I'd say that is a perfect description.

Personally, I despise the sun and am intolerant to heat. I am more of a night owl. There is no doubt that you would be able to tell if I was embarrassed, and I find mysterious bruises on myself all the time. I usually get twice the amount of lidocaine at the dermatologist, and another doctor expects me to believe I have fibromyalgia.

I have blue eyes, I rock my ghostly white skin, and I get more attention than I have the patience for. When it comes to emotions, I am often irrational, impulsive, and "fiery" but I also have a side to me that would make you forget all of those things at once.

I usually blame my red hair for being singled out, picked on, and remembered. However, I will admit it has its perks. I did an experiment once to see if strangers would treat me differently if I didn't have red hair. I dyed it brown and literally no one paid any attention to me. No more double takes, no more friendly chit chats and overly eager to help strangers.

Its kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
ALl i have to say is i just started a new job, and theres this oh so beautiful red head girl, oh my that czech accent, those sweet green eyes, fire red curly hair and those oh so inviting lips.

Oups got off topic there.

Wow, I couldn't resist that one for sure. I'm 1/4 Czech and 1/4 Irish, and a green eyed redhead Czech! Holy crap! how rare indeed. I envy you Duke of Jive, truly envy you.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Count me as one of the gingers that falls into the stereotypical hot-headed temper type. But I blame the Irish/Scottish blood flowing through my veins more so than the hair colour.

Or as hubby refers to me as (when he's introducing me to people): "This is my wife. She's an Irish redhead who's also an Aries to boot.... so don't say I didn't warn you !"

The only way a redhead tans is when their freckles start blending together.

My dad always joked that I got my freckles from god tossing poop at me through the screen door... So of course, I had to pass along that important piece of information to my daughter when she was little and asked how come she has freckles too.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

My 2nd wife was an Aries also me too not a good mix I think lol.
Ah and freckles she hated them but my knees went weak everytime I saw them

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Two Aries living under the same roof ?

Yup, that explains the divorce.

top topics

join