It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body of two-headed Dolphin washes up on Turkish beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The body of a rare two-headed dolphin has washed up on a beach in Turkey

Sports teacher Tugrul Metin had seen the corpse of the conjoined mammal floating onto the shore in Izmir on Turkey's west coast. The dead dolphin was believed to be a one-year-old calf measuring just 3.2ft in length.

'I couldn't take it in at first - I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me - I've never even heard about a dolphin like this let alone seen one with my own eyes - I was completely shocked.'
The stunned teacher called the police who came and removed the dolphin to a laboratory for further investigation.
Early reports said the eyes on one of the dolphin heads were not properly opened - neither was one of the blow holes.
Associate professor Mehmet Gokoglu from the marine-biology department at the Ak Deniz University said he welcomed the opportunity to study the strange dolphin adding: 'Such a dolphin is a very rare occurance - similar to the occurrence of conjoined human twins'.

Very weird looking.

more info here

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
why are they talking about some freak mutation as if its some new species?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This was the actual star of "Two Headed Shark Attack"

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Happens in humans too. We call them conjoined twins. Identical twins that fail to separate. It's something that happens in mammals sometimes. reply to: Lady_Tuatha

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TangoXray

Not exactly a mutation. It's identical twins that didn't fully desperate in the womb. A year old means mamma nursed them and kept them alive.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I don't think anyone is talking like it is a new species. It is pretty rare to see a two-headed dolphin ( even dolphin twins are rare ) so understandably it made the news. I personally have never seen one whilst out walking along the beach, I think I too would be pretty shocked like the guy in the story

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's rare for dolphins to get washed up at all, sadly it will designated toxic waste after they have done the autopsy, like most washed up mammals due to the high levels of toxins they consume in our ocean dumping grounds.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Conjoined twins happen in mammals. No toxicity required. a reply to: subtopia

edit on AM000000310000000883357312014-08-11T10:57:32-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Where do you live that toxic waste is allowed to be dumped into the ocean? Our beaches are tested regularly to make sure the water is clean.

d reply to: subtopia

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Looks photoshopped to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Where was it mentioned as a new species..heck I trip over 2 headded dolphins all the time..the fact it stayed alive for a year is pretty interesting.
You understand now?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Where do you live that toxic waste is allowed to be dumped into the ocean? Our beaches are tested regularly to make sure the water is clean.

d reply to: subtopia

You gotta be kidding?

Where does your trash, sewage and industrial waste go?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
fukishima radiation is my thoughts on this one especially as its only a year old,chernobyl had deformed children born so this is whats happening to our sea life????????????????????????????????????????/

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
No it's not. Goodness people dolphins are mammals. There have been cases of conjoined twins in all species of mammals. It's a miracle these two lived a year. That means their mother nursed them. Kept them alive. One was blind andhis blow hole was closed. That left the other to do the breathing and guiding for them both. By the looks of it they shared most of the body organs though a necropsy would be needed to determine that. Their lives were fragile from the start. That they lived a year means their momma loved them. Dolphins have emotions. Somewhere out there is a grieving dolphin.
This happens it has nothing to do with fukashima or toxic waste or ocean temps or any outside interference. A fetus attempted to split into twins and wasn't successful.

Hr reply to: stuthealien

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic
No I'm not kidding.
Trash goes to the landfill. Sewage goes to a treatment plant. Industrial waste goes to special containment facilities located throughout the United States. Ever hear of a little agency called the Environmental Protection Agency? They have laws against that kind of dumping. And serious fines for violators.
environment.nationalgeographic.com...

www.epa.gov...
edit on PMu31u0883326312014-08-11T21:26:16-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM000000310000000883327312014-08-11T21:27:51-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Conjoined twins happen in mammals. No toxicity required. a reply to: subtopia

Sorry didn't mean the deformity was from toxicity, what I am saying is that in most western world areas ocean mammals due to being the apex predators are full of toxins, so much so they are considered toxic waste.

Do a search,easy to find examples. Our oceans are toxic to mammals, that INCLUDES HUMANS

Mercury levels in dolphin meat sold in Japan are far higher than would occur in nature and certainly higher than is allowed under the health standards of any developed nation. There are also high levels of cadmium and PCBs as well as chemicals of the dioxin group

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

From a biological standpoint i will concede this is rather interesting but Siamese twins happen in nature, that's a simple fact. So not really anything out of kilter regarding this animal.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

Got it. Mercury is a hugh issue in the ocean in that animals cannot rid themselves of the heavy metal and its effects are cumulative. We are advised to limit our consumption of tuna because of it.

PS- You have a lot of class.
edit on AMu31u0883332312014-08-12T08:32:42-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join