It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What junk food does your region specialize in? Greasy Spoon Lovers Unite!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I've found most English food is a bit..bland.
Am i eating the wrong stuff??

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Here in Southern California, people are pretty fond of the California Burrito. It has carne asada, french fries, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. I don't personally love it, but when we moved here it was one of the first things that locals insisted I try. Here's a picture.

The other thing that I have found that is popular here, that I also happen to love, is fish tacos! There seem to be a million different ways to make them, all of them are delicious! It's not actually that unhealthy, but it sure is yummy!

edit on 11-8-2014 by MojaveBurning because: spelling

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

No, you are probably eating in the wrong places

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Mmmmmm New York pizza. The kind you have to fold three ways before your first bite. First in half then you flip the point back towards the middle so the cheese doesn't slide off. I miss New Youk. I'm a born and raised Long Island girl. o reply to: mblahnikluver

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I love Yorkshire pudding. With a lot of salt. I also love Shepard pie. Tomatoes garlic lamb or beef and cheesy mashed potatoes on top is not bland. I do an English fish and chips from a recipe I got on food network. Yummy. a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What are pasties?a reply to: spoonbender

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

A pastie is like a pie, however it Wraps the meat in pastry rather than having a top and bottom. A great example is the traditional cornish pasty, created for the miners in the I don't know what century.
Carrots, potatoes, onions, meat and spices. The words NOM and also NOM come to mind!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here, this time of year, many things get fried. I am addicted to fried squash. I would hate to see my cholesterol levels right now. lol

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AphoticJoe
a reply to: justnotnormal

Around Pennsylvania Dutch country we've got three major regional producers of snacks and chips: Utz, Martins, and Snyder's. For plain, thin, salty potato chips you can't beat Utz. Martin's BBQ potato chips are some of if not the best in existence, and Snyder's hard pretzels are quite good. With Hershey just up the road, one of the world's most famous candy bars is also a local favorite.

A bit further south and east you'll find Boardwalk Fries to be a greasy treat, and fried soft shelled crabs are amazing.

How in the HELL could you not mention Middleswarth potato chips!! lol

I order that stuff for delivery to TX

Props on Martin's though. They're legit
edit on 12-8-2014 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I just had to mention... the smoked fish spread in FL is my favourite thing when I visit. Was just thinking of my last trip to miami, and started salivating. That is all, carry on.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
any meat cooked in a "disco" (disk). Faitas and tripas, primarily.

Chicken Fried Steak is a west texas staple. "smothered and covered" is the standard in Texas comfort food. White, country gravy on everything. Or ranch dressing.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
West of the GTA, in Milton and Burlington is Halifax Donair and Pizza. The best pizza in Ontario. Expensive as hell but they don't skimp. My was 2" going into the oven. Oh, and a donair? If you haven't had one, try it. Quite the surprise.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

This sounds like our empanada's. the best i have ever had was in piedras negras (mexico). fried empanadas with chicken breast, buffalo sauce, and gouda cheese.

Here they are typically baked instead of fried, and are filled with pumpkin. But we all know fried is better.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hashbrowns scattered, smothered and covered and this horrible dish called grits. I will never understand grits, never ever...and heaven forbid there should be a lump in the grits that's likely to get the cook sent to some kind of eternal damnation.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: justnotnormal

My fave hometown dish is cheese curds from the State Fair...
You'll never guess from what state that is from lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

*drool*......... that ......... looks........... wonderful....... especially the blood sausage.

Our local 'junk food' is the Jamaican-style pattie. It comes with either beef-filled-gruel or chicken-filled-gruel. WONDERFUL and filling. Don't ask why they are orange. Nobody wants to know.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

The dish from my area is poutine and beaver tails.
ottawafoodies.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Not much a sugar and pastry fan or poutine fan but there is my local junk food.

edit on 18-8-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I was in Nova Scotia 2 years ago and tried the Donairs.
Very rich....was told by the locals if you wake up the next morning after a bender with a donair in your pocket...you know it was a good night.
They also do huuuge portions so a donair could be 2 meals for a single person.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

we do gravy with fries....but its white (country) gravy.

we put it on everything. We will chicken fry everything. It feels dumb ordering "chicken fried chicken".....but it tastes so darned good.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

hard to knock 'chicken-fried w/gravy'. Almost anything would taste better. Here, almost all meats are stewed. Stew[ed] chicken, pork, beef, all in a scotch-bonnet and seasoning pepper spiced thickened dark gravy, usually served on rice n' peas (beans), with at least two and often more starches on the side (pumpkin, cassava, breadfruit, cooking bananas, yam, sweet potato).

So much starch, so little time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join