It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What junk food does your region specialize in? Greasy Spoon Lovers Unite!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
We all have a local eatery/junkery that serves not so healthy, heatburn inducing, slop, that may not be the best for your arteries, but the taste and enjoyment make it worth risking death. This thread is a place for you to tell us about your local specialty junk food, and where you might find the best of the worst.

ie
Canada
- Poutine (Fries topped with cheese curds, and beef gravy)
- Ketchup Chips (My friends from the US ask for these when I come to visit)
- Bacon & Everything (Canada=Bacon)

Toronto (GTA) - Big Greasy Burgers

Dangerous Dans Diner

The Double D Proudly Presents:

Our specials for all of your incredibly excessive beef needs:

Bronto Ribs Dinner
2½ Lbs. Back Beef Ribs w/ French Fries or Mashed Potatoes
For Only $ 17.95

24oz Bulls Balls Burger
Served w/ Fries and a Pop
Only $ 16.75

The Coronary Burger Special
2 8oz Patties, 4 Slices of Bacon, 2 Slices of Cheddar and a Fried Egg on top. Served w/ Fries and Gravy, Can of Pop
Only $ 16.75
Quadruple C
"Collosal Colon Clogger Combo"
24oz burger served with a quarter pound of cheese, a quarter pound of bacon, and 2 fried eggs. Also comes with a large shake and a small poutine.
Only $ 26.95

The Barbarian Burger
10oz of USDA ground from Barberian’s Steakhouse with home-made horseradish Barberian steak seasoning aioli, tomato, lettuce
Only $ 10.95

Recommended for Medicinal Cannabis Users (intended as humor only)

Just getting this kicked off, so please tell us where you are, what you eat, and where the best of it might be found.
YUM!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: justnotnormal
We all have a local eatery/junkery that serves not so healthy, heatburn inducing, slop, that may not be the best for your arteries, but the taste and enjoyment make it worth risking death.

There are two that come to mind.

1) The Texas Weiner (yeah, Texas in New Jersey) which is a fried hot dog, topped with minced raw onion, mustard and chili sauce in a unhealthy white hot dog bun. This combination is called a'' the way'.

2) The other is beefsteak which is sliced rare filet mignon served over buttered French bread. Typically it is an all you can eat affair and experienced beefsteak attendees do not eat the bread but instead build elaborate bread pyramids and other structures to help save room for the meat.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Cudighi in this area. It is a special Italian sausage.

some pretty good pizza places here too, with real cheese.

Can't forget the pasties, there are pasty shops in most towns.

I'm not sure the pasties would qualify as junk food though, neither are cudighis.
edit on 10-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with it if it's not horrible for your health... as long as it is tasty!
I am already planning trips to NJ and Mich! lol

This thread is really just my way of collecting places I want to go to eat. :p

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: justnotnormal

Chinese! Wooo! Hhmmm mmmm "salt n pepper chicken, ppeper chicken, salt n peper chicken da daa" *chuckle brothers theme tune* thats what I sing when im feelin take away ooh yeee, but recently I have been making my own with slight twist, occasionally I go indian but its abit heavy....

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Depends where at .. and season .. sometimes a nice bowl of pho .. or some durian .. maybe chau su bao .. a bowl of the little thai chilli's .. and of course beer with everything ...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Scrapple, a breakfast treat that starts with pork livers and corn meal. yummy.

Utz potato chips with Old Bay seasoning.

Smith Island cakes. 17 layers!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: works4dhs
Scrapple, a breakfast treat that starts with pork livers and corn meal. yummy.

Utz potato chips with Old Bay seasoning.

Smith Island cakes. 17 layers!

17 layers?!
That sounds more delicious than the swinger party I was at last night! Added to my list!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Ooo I only just remembered its you with the crazy intro haha coool hey look at our stats were in a race!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Around Pennsylvania Dutch country we've got three major regional producers of snacks and chips: Utz, Martins, and Snyder's. For plain, thin, salty potato chips you can't beat Utz. Martin's BBQ potato chips are some of if not the best in existence, and Snyder's hard pretzels are quite good. With Hershey just up the road, one of the world's most famous candy bars is also a local favorite.

A bit further south and east you'll find Boardwalk Fries to be a greasy treat, and fried soft shelled crabs are amazing.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The Cheese steak and tastykakes!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AphoticJoe

Around Pennsylvania Dutch country we've got three major regional producers of snacks and chips: Utz, Martins, and Snyder's. For plain, thin, salty potato chips you can't beat Utz. Martin's BBQ potato chips are some of if not the best in existence, and Snyder's hard pretzels are quite good. With Hershey just up the road, one of the world's most famous candy bars is also a local favorite.

A bit further south and east you'll find Boardwalk Fries to be a greasy treat, and fried soft shelled crabs are amazing.

FRIED SOFT SHELL CRABS!!!! OMG

I have never wanted crabs so badly!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
grasshoppers: halved jalapeno peppers filled with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon then grilled or baked

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
grasshoppers: halved jalapeno peppers filled with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon then grilled or baked

Ummm, I think I am in love with this thread! I am getting fatter by the minute!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
South eastern Virginia. Fresh seafood oysters, crabs, drum fish. We're on the Atlantic sea coast. Peanuts in Suffolk peanut capitol of the world and of course Smithfield hams. This is hampton roads. Home of NASA BUSCH GARDENS LANGLEY SPEEDWAY. FROM THE SEA TO THE STARS. I LOVE THIS PLACE I CALL HOME.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

This is where America began.
edit on PMu31u0883243312014-08-10T22:43:23-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I love scrappel. Best use of pigs lips and a$$holes ever!!!a reply to: works4dhs

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Pasties? Or pastries. I make my own eclaires. Easier than you think. I also make my own napoleans. Frozen puff pastry saves time and stress. Who wants to do all that folding and rolling? a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I want to try poutine soooo bad! I may have to find a recipe and make it since nowhere around here makes it,mom in the states, Florida.

We have chocolate covered chips and bacon. Let me tell you the dark chocolate covered bacon at $6 for 4 slices is worth every penny! The chocolate covered chips were ok, not my thing.

The other thing would be New York Style pizza places, many of which are pretty darn good yet greasy.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

I want to try poutine soooo bad! I may have to find a recipe and make it since nowhere around here makes it,mom in the states, Florida.

Just so you know, Poutine is AWESOME

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Ah, I am in KC, and we lay claim to a crown jewel of BBQ called the burnt end.

Many cooks declined to serve the fattiest parts of the brisket, so many burnt ends were drawn from this portion, ultimately served as appetizers, thrown into stews or handed to customers as scrap. Unlike rib tips, burnt ends can capture just as much melted-down fat as smoky, crunchy bark, producing an all-around incredible bite in the process. When done right, they make one hell of a culinary exclamation point.

Some ends—namely, the ones with the most crisp, savory bark and succulent fat—are entirely thrilling on their own. Drier pieces cry out to be completed by a Kansas City-style barbecue sauce, which RUB is all too happy to offer. Purists may gasp at the first pour of such a sweet and heavy concoction, but it's a combination true to regional roots. The piercing smokiness of burnt ends can hold its own against a smart amount of sauce; that's why these formidable scraps of barbecue are such a perfect addition to southern baked beans.

So, yeah, give me those burned up, barked, fatty bits with all that sweet, heavy, slighty spicy sauce!!

And if you are ever in KC, I highly recommend the burnt ends at Oklahoma Joe's. Just be aware they only sell them on certain days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join