It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kurdish forces break ISIS siege of Mount Sinjar, rescue thousands of stranded Yazidis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: arjunanda
I think The Kurds will never be safe in that neck of the woods and it would probably be better for The US just to take them in here and settle them in a part of our country (they helped us extensively during our occupation) and will never be safe from either Sunni or Shia Iraqis., Turks, Syrians etc. Just my opinion, we owe them one. Peace
Arjunanda.a reply to: daaskapital

hey, know what?

they can trade places with the palestinians! wouldn't that be cool!

yay, i figured it out! win win all around! i'll open a U-Haul biz.

but seriously, the US should be 110% behind them more so now.
what's up with that obama dude, anyway?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It is a good albeit minor victory, but this region of war seemingly will never end. I posted this wonderful video the other day but it went un-noticed, but I found it a miserable tale of how pointless this war is.

And to compound issues, I just heard the most chilling radio interview with an IS commander (apparently?) called Omar Al-Shi-shani on local radio here. The presenter (Tom Elliot) is woeful at the best of times, he only got the job because of his dad... But at least he had the sense to just take a back seat and listen to the pure hatred pour from this 'human'.

Is he really the Commander of IS, or some stooge? 3aw seems to think it was who they said they were.

IS commander threatens us all

3aw Radio station website involved.

Take a listen. Seriously, please listen. How will any small victory win, these nutjobs are not going away. Our involvement in the region has fed this monster. Things are dire.

edit on 11-8-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

What is needed is to find the imams who are teaching this pure hatred as they want to rule the world.

We need a world law that stops religion in its tracks teaching hatred and harm to others. This needs to be a world crime and the deterrant is to shut the lot of them up on some island and ensure they never leave.

I don't believe that men who have committed these atrocities should be allowed anywhere near people ever again, neither do I think they can be integrated back into society. However I would also say I have read people on here say8ing that some of the newsreels of headless children were from other incidents so I am aware that Israel or someone is manipulating the news also cameron was very keen to go to war in Syria and couldn't get his way.

Its hard to know sensationalism from truth today because with not being there you rely on something you don't trust, eg the media. I do know that Islam is not the peaceful religion its adherents want you to believe and it is one of the biggest threats to world peace.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Yep, things have boiled to that point. We've just had a pictures today in Australia of an kid holding aloft someones head. A kid... Holding a mans head, like a prize... His dad tweets "That's my Boy".

What more can be said? Link

At least they have now edited the picture to cover up the gruesome content.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The Kurds have earned, and deserve, our support.

That they risked losing ground elsewhere to rescue as many as they could? Speaks to their credit more than I ever could.
edit on 8/11/2014 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I think what the Kurds are doing here is a shining example that not all Muslims are evil or want to dominate the world.

Fighting and dying to save an opposing religious group and actually relocating them into their own land to protect them is just an mazing thing to see happen in this part of the world.

If only this wasn't "just an isolated group", of middle easterners doing this the region would be a much different place.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
Ive said it before and I will say it again, the Kurds are a real beacon of hope in this troubled region of the world.
Hopefully with a population of estimated 8.3 million Kurds in northern Iraq, and millions more in neighbouring turkey and Syria, there is a chance they can finally obtain sovereignity. What happened to them throughout the 20th century needs to be looked at with closer scrutiny.. I will write a thread about this too.... It a story desperately needing to be told...we are not being given a complete picture of the real middle east....

ETA: the Kurds didn't just get guns and an militia out of nowhere, they've been fighting different regimes for decades! Stay tuned...

Yes, please write it! I think it would be really informative.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I Agree. The Kurds have earned our support, the hard way, in blood and tears. We need to back them up.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Go Kurds, kick those ISIS in the butts!!

US really cowardly not to move - they are the ones who created this mess in the first place with Gulf Wars

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
After all they have struggled through the Kurds have acted selflessly in this brave action.

I have been asking myself, who will help the civilians?

Not many will help the Christians in times of strife like these - if a Muslim helps a Christian I can imagine they would be treated as such by ISIS if they found out, not much of an incentive - and I suspect many wouldn't help anyway.

We didn't see any western states helping them, shows who the more mature peoples are.

Yay for saving lives.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The challenge with backing the Kurds is they want their own state which is carved partially out of Turkey. Giving the Kurds weapons potentially creates an army to fight Turkey in the next few years.

That region of the world is crazy complicated, so it is almost impossible to make a good decision involving anyone.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Stuship

I don't think the Kurds will be taking on Turkey any time soon!!

Turkey has quite a powerful military.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Kurdistan won't happen. Soon as this isis issue over, they will be in hotwater again. Unless a super power give them a good hand.. Like USA to Israel.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Stuship

Yup... I think the Turkish politicians are hoping if they support an Independent Kurdish state in Iraq... the Kurds will stop blowing up parts of turkey.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Soapusmaximus

Turkey also has 20-30 million Kurds (25% of the Turkish population) living there... A war anytime soon between turkey and the Kurds is highly improbable while ISIS are literally raising hell in the region, that's for sure...

US has now confirmed it has sent military equiptment to support the Kurds.
www.theguardian.com... www.latimes.com...

When researching for the thread about the history of the kurd autonomous region I came across this:

In 1991, when America formed a strong international coalition against Iraq’s occupying forces in Kuwait, George H. Bush, the US President at the time, called upon the Iraqi people to resist and stated, “There is another way for the bloodshed to stop, and that is for the Iraqi military and Iraqi people to take matters into their own hands, and force Saddam Hussein, the dictator, to step aside; and then comply with the United Nations’ resolution and rejoin the family of peace-loving nations.” Sadly enough, when the Kurds in the North (Kurdistan) and the Shi’ites in the South rose up against the “dictator,” George H. Bush turned his back on them and allowed the Iraqi military forces to literally slaughter them. After crushing the Shi’ite uprising in the South, the Iraqi regime threw its force against the people of Kurdistan and as a result some two million Kurds fled into the mountains to escape an imminent death. Although, they escaped from Saddam’s death sentence, hundreds lost the battle to the bitter cold in the mountains on a daily basis. It created an international outcry. This, certainly, was another US betrayal of the people of Kurdistan.
www.kurdnas.com...
Sounds very familiar to the situation in northern Iraq today, and its very likely that the Kurds were reminded of their own suffering at the hands of Saddam Hussein when they were forced into the mountains. Perhaps this is why they were inspired to help the Yezidi, even at the cost of loosing ground in other areas to ISIS...
edit on 11-8-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Iraq crisis: 'It is death valley. Up to 70 per cent of them are dead'
On board Iraqi army helicopter delivering aid to the trapped Yazidis, Jonathan Krohn sees a hellish sight

www.telegraph.co.uk...

have mercy

Mount Sinjar stinks of death. The few Yazidis who have managed to escape its clutches can tell you why. “Dogs were eating the bodies of the dead,” said Haji Khedev Haydev, 65, who ran through the lines of Islamic State jihadists surrounding it. On Sunday night, I became the first western journalist to reach the mountains where tens of thousands of Yazidis, a previously obscure Middle Eastern sect, have been taking refuge from the Islamic State forces that seized their largest town, Sinjar. I was on board an Iraqi Army helicopter, and watched as hundreds of refugees ran towards it to receive one of the few deliveries of aid to make it to the mountain. The helicopter dropped water and food from its open gun bays to them as they waited below. General Ahmed Ithwany, who led the mission, told me: “It is death valley. Up to 70 per cent of them are dead.”

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: arjunanda
I think The Kurds will never be safe in that neck of the woods and it would probably be better for The US just to take them in here and settle them in a part of our country (they helped us extensively during our occupation) and will never be safe from either Sunni or Shia Iraqis., Turks, Syrians etc. Just my opinion, we owe them one. Peace
Arjunanda.a reply to: daaskapital

What makes you think they want to leave?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

love for the lfe..
( plus, there will be no home sick. USA is not not somebodies country. It's belongs to all of us. )

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

love for the lfe..
( plus, there will be no home sick. USA is not not somebodies country. It's belongs to all of us. )

No, no it does not. Even if it did the Kurds do not want to leave, they want their own country, to rule themselves. America does not give them what they want.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Obama didn't start the fire. The Bush gang did. The Kurds were being pushed on all sides since before GH Bush bombed Iraq. GH encouraged the northern rebellion against Saddam but then changed his mind upon Cheney's "advice" to leave Saddam in charge, arguing that he was the best of a bad situation. This left the north vulnerable to Saddam's retribution which came in swift order. Later GH seemed to express regret for taking this "advice." In any case the Kurds, exiled or displaced many times over, will not soon forget the betrayal even if they need the US now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join