It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Can I Find Overseas Archaeological Digs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Hey guys, I believe that I saw a thread thats a few years old in another sub-forum that mentions this, but I didn't really find anything since it's from 2011..

Could anyone recommend a site that I could go to and view overseas (I'm in the US) archaeological digging/etc opportunities in Europe, particularly the British Isles, for a decent price?

PLEASE!

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TheIceQueen

Overseas.
Sorry. Had to.
Try looking at university programs in archaeology. Call them and ask.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheIceQueen
Hey guys, I believe that I saw a thread thats a few years old in another sub-forum that mentions this, but I didn't really find anything since it's from 2011..

Could anyone recommend a site that I could go to and view overseas (I'm in the US) archaeological digging/etc opportunities in Europe, particularly the British Isles, for a decent price?

PLEASE!

Thanks.

Well, you could try going overseas.

Seriously though are there not some exciting digs going on locally,
archive.archaeology.org...

en.wikipedia.org...:Archaeological_sites_on_the_National_Register_of_Historic_Places_in_New_York

There is a dig in the middle of Dublin ongoing, and I think in London new discoveries.

edit on 10-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm not a student, that's the thing, even though I do have a degree in history (not sure if that matters). I don't want to go on a dig here, haha, I really want to go over to Europe, particularly the British Isles.. Is there a site or an organization that I can look up/search that does this for a lower cost?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Try the Council for British Archeology site, they have a lot of info on volunteering at digs all over Britain

www.archaeologyuk.org...
edit on 10-8-2014 by horseatemymoney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheIceQueen
I'm not a student, that's the thing, even though I do have a degree in history (not sure if that matters). I don't want to go on a dig here, haha, I really want to go over to Europe, particularly the British Isles.. Is there a site or an organization that I can look up/search that does this for a lower cost?

This is pretty directional,
culturaltourismireland.ie...

If you explore the site, they look for diggers as well, and training is given.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I am planning on doing a covert one in NW England pm...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I am planning on doing a covert one in NW England pm...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Might try university of cambridge in uk they often have digs going on as part of their curriculum .. or get a copy of archaology magazine they used to cover digs worldwide ..

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Unless its a scheduled monument or similarly listed area theres not much paperwork that needs to be submitted and most of it will be directly person to person, but you'd probably be better off if you are more subjective on your site choices as digging up a 1850's pot bank will require a totally different understanding than a 500bc graveyard and most uni's normally have atleast some sort of special field

new topics

top topics

join