It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad is under a full-fledged coup ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A lot of reports on twitter about the Iraq army taking over baghdad
mostly on twitter at the moment.

TWITTER

UNCONFIRMED reports suggest troops and tanks have sealed off Baghdad’s “Green Zone” in an apparent coup. “There is a huge security presence, police and army, especially around the Green Zone,” the highly-protected district that houses Iraq’s key institutions, a high-ranking police officer has confirmed to AFP.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced early this morning on state television he intended to file a complaint against President Fuad Masum for violating the constitution.
“Today I will file a formal complaint to the federal court against the president,” he said, in a surprise address at midnight Iraq time. Troops have since been reported encircling the Presidential palace, and there are unconfirmed reports of an explosion from within the building.

Newscom
edit on 10/8/2014 by skuly because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/8/2014 by skuly because: adding

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

edit on 10-8-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: skuly

The alphabets took way longer than expected. Time to give the white-haired guys a break and send in younger ones maybe?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm not sure what this actually means. Did the army overthrow the government? Did they join ISIS?

Anyone know what this means?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Its starting to get press:

www.zerohedge.com...

Military Coup In Iraq: Prime Minister Maliki Refuses To Step Down; Security Forces On Alert, Encircle Presidential Palace

edit on 10-8-2014 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
They need a new president in order to beat ISIS. Leadership that is more sympathetic to all parties involved in Iraq and not so one sided.
As an american I take this as good news!

But we'll see how it turns out. . .
edit on 8/10/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Definitely looks/sounds like a coup. But who is really responsible?

The news has promptly led the WaPo Beirut chief correspondent Liz Sly to ask the question: did Baghdad just have a coup 3 days after the US conducted its fourth military intervention under as many US presidents?

A coup in Baghdad? Maliki announces he won't resign and orders security forces on alert. So much for bringing democracy to Iraq.
— Liz Sly (@LizSly) August 10, 2014

Military Coup In Iraq: Prime Minister Maliki Refuses To Step Down; Security Forces On Alert, Encircle Presidential Palace

edit on 989pm4242pm52014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
President Fouad Massoum is a Kurdish Sunni.

And he was recently "elected".

Perfect for Saudi Arabia and Qatar who want a Sunni natural gas pipeline of their very own.

Kurdish Fouad Massoum Elected New President of Iraq

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Chaos in Iraq?

Weird.

Soon it will become more chaotic, my prediction.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki indicated that he will not drop his bid for a third term and accused the president of violating the constitution in a tough televised speech likely to deepen political tensions as a Sunni insurgency rages.

Maliki, seen as an authoritarian and sectarian leader, has defied calls by Sunnis, Kurds, some fellow Shi’ites and regional power broker Iran to step aside for a less polarising figure who can unite Iraqis against Islamic State militants.

Here are some reactions to his speech:

link

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Let us not forget the ISis are Sunni's just like the president Massoum unlike the prime-minister Maliki
who is a Shia.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
They need a new president in order to beat ISIS. Leadership that is more sympathetic to all parties involved in Iraq and not so one sided.
As an american I take this as good news!

But we'll see how it turns out. . .

The Iraq President, Muhammad Fuad Masum, is a Kurd who was only this year, elected to office. Forgive me if i am wrong, but you are referring to the Iraq Prime Minister, Nouri al-Maliki, who has been pressured by his allies, and the majority of Iraqi minorities, to step down and allow in a leader with the ability to unite the state.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is the individual responsible for calling into question the legitimacy of President Muhammad Fuad Masum, while also positioning troops around Baghdad.

The USA has publicly declared their support for the President of Iraq:

Brett McGurk
@brett_mcgurk

Fully support President of #Iraq Fuad Masum as guarantor of the Constitution and a PM nominee who can build a national consensus.

twitter.com...

Brett McGurk, as described on his twitter profile, is the 'Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs (Iraq and Iran)'.

Overall, the current events in Baghdad are not good news, as the Prime Minister is clearly trying to subvert the democratic system and retain power.
edit on 10-8-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is getting weirder everyday, hope there a light at the end of this long dark path iraq is going through

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

The United States supports Maliki.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

MSM "officially"

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hmmm wonder if Iran will get involved?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Is there any official release from the american government on the coup in iraq.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Hmmm wonder if Iran will get involved?

If we can believe .....

Iran sends troops into Iraq to aid fight against Isis militants (June 2014)

it's a gas and a half

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

No they don't.

The Obama administration is signaling that it wants a new government in Iraq without Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, convinced the Shiite leader is unable to reconcile with the nation's Sunni minority and stabilize a volatile political landscape.

The U.S. administration is indicating it wants Iraq's political parties to form a new government without Mr. Maliki as he tries to assemble a ruling coalition following elections this past April, U.S. officials say.

Such a new government, U.S., officials say, would include the country's Sunni and Kurdish communities and could help to stem Sunni support for the al Qaeda offshoot, the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, or ISIS, that has seized control of Iraqi cities over the past two weeks. That, the officials argue, would help to unify the country and reverse its slide into sectarian division.

online.wsj.com...

President Barack Obama came under pressure from U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday to persuade Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to step down over what they see as failed leadership in the face of an insurgency threatening his country.

As Obama held an hour-long meeting with congressional leaders on U.S. options in Iraq, administration officials joined a chorus of criticism of Maliki, faulting him for failing to heal sectarian rifts that militants have exploited.

www.reuters.com...

The US is distancing itself from Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, pressing for a political change that could help blunt a Sunni insurgency as President Barack Obama weighs possible air strikes against Islamist insurgents.

Obama administration officials publicly urged Iraq's leaders on Wednesday to make their Shiite-dominated government more inclusive as part of a broader strategy to roll back gains by the Sunni militants. The calls were made as Mr Maliki warned that the violence could spill into neighbouring countries and as militants attempted to seize a major oil refinery.

www.smh.com.au...

And i will again quote the statement made by Brett McGurk, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs (Iraq and Iran):

Brett McGurk
@brett_mcgurk

Fully support President of #Iraq Fuad Masum as guarantor of the Constitution and a PM nominee who can build a national consensus.

twitter.com...

The US is clearly not supporting Maliki anymore.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I know, I read all that too and I'm just as confused as you are now!
The president supports Maliki!

Can someone with an non-internet, tv, radio understanding of this situation clear up just what the hell is going on please?
I'm getting conflicting information and I don't know why or even how at this point. I have two of the same sources saying the complete opposite thing in different medias!?! (time laps maybe???)
edit on 8/10/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join