It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first EVP ever recorded?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I found this quite interesting. Quite interesting indeed.
This article derides the popular "ghost boxes" as "misapplied technology".
The story is contained within the article.

The ghost box is used on the popular shows like 'Ghost Adventures', where Zak Begens refers to it as his "Spiritual Speak & Spell".

Here's an exerpt:
The earliest such recording, albeit unintentional, was made by anthropologist, Waldemar Bogoras (b.1865 – d. 1936) in 1901. Using a phonograph to record the languages, songs, and beliefs of various indigenous tribes in Siberia, Bogoras recorded something unexpected. It was during the recording of a ritual performed by a Chuckchee shaman that Bogoras also recorded unexplained voices, which spoke in English and Russian. According to some sources, the Minnesota State University continues to maintain and study the recording. Despite examinations by physicist, the recording remains unexplainable. Bogoras’ recording is not only the earliest, but is the most credible and fascinating piece of evidence considered to be paranormal.

The full story:

History's first EVP?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Interesting! I read the link and did a search, hoping to find the recording. I haven't been successful yet, but did find some more information on the recording here:
paranormal.about.com...

In 1901, US ethnologist Waldemar Bogoras traveled to Siberia to visit a shaman of the Tchouktchi tribe. In a darkened room, he observed a spirit-conjuring ritual. The shaman beat a drum more and more rapidly, putting himself in a trance state. Startled, Bogoras heard strange voices filling the room. The voices seemed to come from all corners and spoke English and Russian. After the session, Bogoras wrote, "I set up my equipment so I could record without light. The shaman sat in the furthest corner of the room, approximately 20 feet away from me. When the light was extinguished the spirits appeared after some 'hesitation' and, following the wishes of the shaman, spoke into the horn of the phonograph."

The recording showed a clear difference between the speech of the shaman, audible in the background, and the spirit voices which seemed to have been located directly at the mouth of the horn. All along, the shaman's ceaseless drum beats can be heard as if to prove that he remained in the same spot.

This was the first known experiment in which voices of "conjured spirits" were recorded on an electrical recording device.

Thanks - and I'll post more if I find more!

ETA:

This website claims to have excerpts of the recordings.
noblesavageworld.com...

These recordings are not easily accessible to the public, requiring special fees, forms, and permissions to use for selected purposes. The complete set is owned by the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, on file in the Archives of Traditional Music at the University of Indiana in Bloomington. I’ll include here just a couple of short excerpts to give you an idea.

In the first excerpt you can hear the shaman’s voice and drum faintly in the distance before the spirit, a deceased American, begins to speak… probably positioned directly at the horn of the phonograph, judging from his loud voice. The spirit mimics the shaman, then becomes agitated (perhaps because he’s been “pulled in” to this ceremony) before laughing off the experience.

The second excerpt is the spirit of a wolf howling into the phonograph, again with the shaman in the background.

First excerpt: www.spiritfaces.com...

Second excerpt: www.spiritfaces.com...
edit on 10-8-2014 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Thanks for posting the audios!

I had bookmarked noble savage world site a while ago and lost it when I had to do a restore on my laptop.
I had forgotten about it.
Many, many thanks for posting that link.
Serendipity!

Highly recommended:
Noble Savage
edit on 10-8-2014 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sorry but people bk then where the same as they are now, the more weird and interesting things they brought back, the more money and prestige they received. Just because it is old or the first doesn't make it right or true.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

How does a phonograph recording constitute EVP?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

How does a phonograph recording constitute EVP?

One of the earliest mediums for recording audio was the phonograph cylinder, often referred to as the "phonograph".

According to the story, anthropologist Waldemar Bogoras was recording a shamanic ritual in Siberia. (In 1901)
When he listened to the recording later, there were "unexplained voices, which spoke in English and Russian."

These early recordings were mechanical, not electrical. The 'disembodied' voices were not heard in real time, but were heard on the recording.
Weird!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure there was a paranormal magazine in the 60s or 70s that actually had excerpts of Bogoras's recordings pressed onto vinyl records and put into a few issues. Could be wrong, I read it years ago.

Does anyone know if there's an audio database of early EVPs on the net? Maybe some from wax cylinders

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Ghost Box supporter here...

When I performed the experiment I did (thread here) ...the responses WERE direct. I have trouble subscribing to Pareidolia or grabbing sound bytes from the band being scanned. The reasons for those arguments are in and amongst the thread.

I have read all of the rationale behind what is supposed to be occurring... however, experiencing it first hand threw whatever logic there may be out the door.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Russian and English voices during a recording in Siberia.....

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I took this from your 2nd link.

For three thousand years, eastern mystics have professed that ultimate reality exists only at the source, which they call Brahman, and which other spiritual paths call God, Allah, and Yahweh or Jehovah.

As the stuff of life (light, love, pure consciousness, aum, the word of God) emanates from the source to manifest everything everywhere, its vibrations become slower and slower, until finally forming the material universes. What we experience through our five senses way out here in the physical world, then, is called maya—ma (not) and ya (that which is real)—often translated as “illusion.”

So most of the things that we humans accept as reality—space, time, gravity, and three-dimensional structure—are really illusions, according to mystics who’ve spent centuries exploring the nonphysical realities through meditation.

I know this is kind of off topic, but it came from your link so I just have to say....

I couldn't have read that little bit of information at a better time.

This is something I fully believe.

As to the rest,
I have not really looked yet, I was just blown away by that statement.
It is nice to verify ones own thinking with 3000 years worth of exploration and back-up...

lol

I have always believed it is a vibration thing.

The vibes man, the vibes.
edit on 10-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This was interesting...thanks. It's new to me and I've read a lot about this sort of thing. As far as EVP and the like, well, disembodied intelligences exist, so why can't they manipulate e.m. to communicate?

The nature of such "EVPs" seem so fragmentary ... and I used to think it might be intruding radio (or pareidolia ) picked up in bits and pieces... until I learned "ghosts" exist first hand and got a few suggestive, personal responses on my recorder.

It must be difficult to work on their end, otherwise I'd guess they'd be chatting us up on every electric medium... and a few messages saying "they won't let me talk" makes me wonder about "rules" regarding letting us living folks know what's actually going on.

To the naysayers... sure, it sounds stupid and some may be milking it for profit... but the phenom sure seems to exist (whatever it actually is) and ghosts certainly exist (whatever they actually are). If one looks into it a bit more deeply than bombing www forums, it becomes obvious that there's something more to it all, despite what the most obtuse materialist would have the "gullible" believe.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I have a recording from the 1890s of a man talking about how to make the best use of your day. In the beginning of his speech, another man's voice comes through twice. I'll let you hear it.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: soaringhawk

Very cool recording - thanks for posting it! I couldn't understand what the second voice was saying, though. Can you make it out?

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

To me it sounds like another language. The recording is longer but I only included the part with the 2nd voice. I have many old recordings, home recordings. It's nice to hear.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Russian and English voices during a recording in Siberia.....

Bogoraz made this recording in Chukotka, just across the Bering Strait from Alaska (which already belonged to the US back then). Russian and English were the only Western languages that natives in the area could have had contact with at the time.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Fascinating stuff! I always thought EVP was strictly a modern thing. Wish someone could decipher what was being said on that second one.

new topics

top topics

join