It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Ukraine Achieves Victory/Peace What Happens To Putin Afterwards?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If the war in Ukraine is resolved with either the Kiev/Ukraine army defeating the Russian backed separatists, or with an agreed ceasefire, what will this do for Putin? Will Putin be surrounded by his enemies within the Kremlin walls and be ousted? Or will the Russian people rise up against Putin and reclaim the revolution Putin stole from them when Yeltsin died? Or indeed will there be a military coup which would be very bad news indeed for the world, as then we would be in a very precarious at best and dangerous situation at worse with trigger happy Generals strutting around the Kremlin. What happens in Russia will affect all of us directly. There is a generation, two generations in fact, who have no idea what it was like growing up in fear during the Cold War fearing that one day we would be nuked. The BBC drama documentary Threads was a projection of those fears as was The Day After that was produced and broadcast in the USA shortly afterwards.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Wirral Bagpuss

As long as as the conflict in Ukraine and sanctions against Russia are on, Putin loses his popularity among russians this will have an effect for 2016 presidential elections in Russia. Before Ukraine situation started Putin had 60% endorcement and it rised to 80% as russians have always likes strong leadership. When sanctions came in picture it takes away Putins popularity as a president. I read a week ago about someone who is close to Putin ( heck i cannot remember now who he was ) that Putin secretly wishes that there will be an peaceful agreement in Ukraine and rebels to lose.. longer the situation holds, less chances he has in next election.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Nothing will happen as he has Russian believing that Ukraine is out to get them.

Russians only know what he wants them to know. Unless it can be proven he ordered the shoot down of MH 17 he really doesn't have to worry about something such as war crimes.

He made it through Georgia without being in trouble, and he was involved directly with that conflict by sending Russian troops in whereas he learned just supply the local population with military hardware and keep your troops out(supposedly) and you have less fear of international condemnation.

So pretty much nothing will happen to him...the separatists on the other hand are a whole other ball of wax.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
Nothing will happen as he has Russian believing that Ukraine is out to get them.

The Ukraine almost has poor Russia surrounded...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

As long as as the conflict in Ukraine and sanctions against Russia are on, Putin loses his popularity among russians

As long as the Kremlin dictates what is seen in the media he will always have a big approval rating among the population.

Now if they ever get the chance to see what Russia is really doing in Ukraine that turns things around as far as his approval ratings but I doubt that will ever happen.

President Vladimir Putin's approval rating has reached a record high of 87 percent, according to the results of a survey published Wednesday by the independent Levada Center pollster.

Putin's popularity at home has skyrocketed against a backdrop of increased diplomatic isolation connected with the crisis in Ukraine, where the West claims that the Kremlin's aggressive policies continue to destabilize the nation and inflict casualties.

www.themoscowtimes.com...

How many citizens do you think know about the sanctions and what they mean for the general Russian public...my guess would be very few. Only the ones who are making the big money such as Putin's cronies actually understand the whole of the sanctions and what they mean, and they aren't very happy about it.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

The Ukraine almost has poor Russia surrounded...

Russia is next on the list of countries they want to take over...Look out world here comes Ukraine the country of Nazi's and facists.

The world is doomed...Oh the humanity.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Putin has already backed off his support for the rebel in Ukraine after the shooting down of MH17.

He responded to the sanctions in the only way he could by fighting back, but ultimately he has no interest in an economic war with the EU. Neither does the EU want to get into a fight with Russia.

The rebels will be defeated, Ukraine will settle down, and eventually the sanctions will be lifted on both sides.

Both the EU and the US have been fairly 'hands off' in the Ukraine, they respect that this is Russia's back yard and as long as Russia doesn't openly invade another sovereign state, things are not as bad as they could be.

Putin, unlike some of his predecessors, is a man that the west can do business with, it's not in their interest for Russia to fall back into the mess that Yeltsin etc made of it.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

And how do you know any of this? Have you actually spoken with any Russian, or are you just assuming based on information presented by bbc, cnn and such?

Do you read any of Russian forums or any media site?

I think you don't, and you are a proven Putin hater that will say all this ridiculous things just to back up his belief.

Do you honestly think that Russians have no idea what those sanctions means to them? Yes, those sanctions might be bad, but will it be the end of Russia or Putin? No, simply because there are a lot of other countries that don't care what EU and US is doing.

And, have you ever stopped and thought what if Russians love Putin because they know what US and EU represents? And they support his politics? I know it's hard for you to accept this, but that's the fact. Visit Russia, speak with it's people, then come on ATS and tell us your experiences.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
A peaceful resolution which left Crimea aligned with Russia would probably be a sufficent victory.
The loss of Crimea would be dangerous, but he's not about to let that happen.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Their groceries are getting limited, of course they will see what is happening and we are not living in 90´s when russians didn´t have the internet connections like today. We allready are seeing food tourism in our border an Russian goverment made an exception in their own sanctions that people of Russia ( tourists ) can import food from other countries.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Ukraine can win the physical conflict it remains to be seen if they can survive the economic consequences.

As for what happens to Putin.. nothing, the world isn't going to push him to far because he might just be crazy enough to do something stupid.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

How many citizens do you think know about the sanctions and what they mean for the general Russian public...my guess would be very few.

Really? There is a poll going on right now on who the Russian and western sanctions will effect the most. Of course it's from the evil RT and on their front web page, must be a trick.

Then again RIA Novosti also has articles on the sanctions both western and Russian. I'm sure these are tricks too though and only available in the west.

Russian Sanctions Are Political Nightmare for Brussels

Western Sanctions on Russia Aimed at Humiliating Moscow - Ex-French Minister

Why do you say stuff like this?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Wirral Bagpuss how do you suppose that the government will win? What is winning? There is no winning. There is only conflict and war.
Russia and Putin are not responsible and they know very well that no one will win. How do you see it? Lets say that somehow, the Ukrainian army takes over the east and wins. What then? Will the people of the area thank them? They all come home and things get better? There are Russian speaking dissidents all over Ukraine, not just in the east. The east is where the fight is happening but the causality is all over the country of Ukraine.

There is no fix as long as the west is in cohouse with the Ukrainian government. The only fix is for federalisation of states and guess what? That's what happens in most of our own states. Yes? So why cant it happen there?

Also, wait for Europe to flip sides, its only a matter of time. It will happen. Ukraine will not win, and any win only means more conflict. Conflict that the world does not need.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

And how do you know any of this? Have you actually spoken with any Russian, or are you just assuming based on information presented by bbc, cnn and such?

Why do I need to talk to them it has already been shown in numerous threads on Ukraine the propaganda that Russian media is showing their people, which only have one source for their news...State run media.

And just so you know I don't take much stock in western media and know how to run the gambit of BS from them, sorry but you missed on that.

Do you read any of Russian forums or any media site?

Glad you asked, because I have been reading Mr. Gubarev and Mr. Strelkov's Russian social media pages and here you want to read them...

vk.com...

vk.com...

Now when one goes to Russian media sites this is the type of stories you get...

8 Unbelievable Lies The Russian Media Is Telling About Malaysia Flight MH17

www.ijreview.com...

Then we also have this from Russian media...

voiceofrussia.com...

And here are more for you.

www.stopfake.org...

www.stopfake.org...

www.stopfake.org...

And one of my favorites...

khpg.org.ua...

So in a nutshell Russian media is the last place to go for the truth.

And, have you ever stopped and thought what if Russians love Putin because they know what US and EU represents? And they support his politics? I know it's hard for you to accept this, but that's the fact. Visit Russia, speak with it's people, then come on ATS and tell us your experiences.

Really then why do we have citizens that want to have what the US and EU have, such as freedoms which aren't available in Russia. Also I don't see the massive influx of people trying to get into Russia as you do with the US, so that alone shows we have something that others cannot get from their countries...Freedom.

They support him because if they don't they face punishment such as prison or death. And that is a fact.

www.hrw.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Why do you say stuff like this?

And can you provide a source that isn't from Russia, because it has been proven so many times that Russian media will say what the government tells them to say.

So of course this is going to try and make them look as though they have a handle on the sanctions when in fact it will hurt them more than it will other countries.

But hey Russia is the greatest country that does nothing wrong and treats their population to all the best things in life...Oh wait no they don't.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
What is going to happen in the following days, is that the rebels are going to be defeated.
Furthermore, after their defeat, the federalization of entire Ukraine will be enacted and Ukraine will make it formal and in writing, that they will not join NATO. In return, Crimea is going to become an "Independent Republic", which is formally going to have the same level of cooperation with both Russia and Ukraine.

Unfortunately nothing is going to happen to traitor Putin(unless a miracle happens).

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: john666

Unfortunately nothing is going to happen to traitor Putin(unless a miracle happens).

?
Please explain why in your point of view Putin is a traitor? Also what miracle are you talking about?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

So basically, you got your information not from cnn and others, but from a couple of facebook profiles, and a propaganda site that posts nothing but a "fake" Russian news. Seems legit.

Man, when i saw the length of your post i thought it would be something good, something that i can take serious, but i was wrong. I guess people will believe in anything they read, as long as it's okay with their belief.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
am I the only one who can clearly see what Putin is doing here?

I doubt Putin will lose this one.

Russia is really the Mother and the winter is coming.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Their groceries are getting limited, of course they will see what is happening and we are not living in 90´s when russians didn´t have the internet connections like today.

Something the government now controls...

www.thewire.com...

www.theguardian.com...

www.reuters.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join