It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally... Cop Faces Up To 10 Years In Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Will justice finally be served for the abuse that was dished out very thoroughly in this video??

In the video you can clearly see 2 police officers kicking a man that is lying prone on the ground already subdued. If that isn't bad enough a third officer arrives on the scene and proceeds to exit his car and walk up to the man on the ground and serves up a pretty stout kick to his head before the video cuts off.

That third man, Bridgeport, Connecticut, police officer Clive Higgins, was charged Friday with violating a man’s civil rights by using unreasonable force, the New Haven Register reported.

The incident occurred three years ago, but the evidence was preserved on video — and it’s pretty jarring.

The victim said in his lawsuit that he was motionless on the ground and not resisting when the officers kicked and stomped him.

It's pretty bad that this incident occurred 3 years ago and this man is just now getting ready to "officially" answer for his appalling behavior.

As the New Haven Register reported:

Prosecutors say that after another officer deployed his stun gun, Higgins approached [Orlando Lopez-Soto], who was lying prone on the ground, and kicked him in the head and neck.

Higgins, a Bridgeport police officer since 2002, faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

The other two officers, Elson Morales and Joseph Lawlor, pleaded guilty in June to deprivation of rights under color of law. Morales and Lawlor agreed to resign from the police department and each face up to a year in prison when they are sentenced Sept. 2.

Prosecutors said Morales used his stun gun a second time after Lopez-Soto was effectively incapacitated and Lawlor kicked him several times.

The city recently settled the case by agreeing to pay $198,000 to Lopez-Soto.

I'm not sure if those consequences are harsh enough. Why? Because we are supposed to trust these people. When that trust is tainted not only for this gentleman, but for everyone who sees this video... That's not a good thing IMO. They are held to a higher standard and when they abuse their power the punishment should hurt a little more than it usually does in these cases.

Why did it take so long for the officers to be brought to justice?

The chase and beating occurred in 2011, but the video did not gain the attention of authorities until last year.

From the New Haven Register:

All three officers seen in the video, which surfaced in 2013, were placed on paid administrative duty pending a police internal affairs investigation. NAACP leaders at the time called on police officials to arrest and fire the officers.

Lopez-Soto pleaded guilty to drug and gun charges in July 2012 and was sentenced to five years in prison.

Judging from this, had that video never existed or come to light... These officers would have walked away free as birds to continue this type of behavior. They certainly didn't act worried when they were doing what they were doing and that leads me to believe that this was not the first time they have delivered swift judgement/punishment of their own instead of we ting the courts deal with it.

I'm not sure if this officer in particular will see 10 years or not. They usually get off pretty easy. Hopefully that will not be the case here since the video has been made so public right before the trial is set to start. I guess we'll have to wait and see if justice is indeed... Served.

You can read more here:
www.theblaze.com...

edit on 8/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I'm a massive fan of comeuppance - this cop is going to get it.

You dont kick anyone when they are tasered and down, you use batons on their legs or pepper spray if they DON'T drop with a taser.

That guy was clearly incapacitated and not even moving much less struggling. Quite right, if this video had not come up would anything have happened to rough cops?!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I'm not sure if this officer in particular will see 10 years or not. They usually get off pretty easy.

One indicator of leniency is being placed on "administrative leave" instead of in jail awaiting trial for assault like we would be.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I'm not sure if this officer in particular will see 10 years or not. They usually get off pretty easy.

One indicator of leniency is being placed on "administrative leave" instead of in jail awaiting trial for assault like we would be.

That is one of my biggest problems as well.

There are 2 justice systems. Regular guy gets in a fight, a couple punches get thrown, he is arrested immediately for assault. Cops beat without mercy a subdued guy, they get a paid vacation, more than likely nothing will happen to them, and even if it does, it will be many times less than any regular guy for the same exact actions.

There is only supposed to be one justice system, all treated equally under the law at all times.

We are seeing crony law enforcement, just like our BS rigged economy, and insider trading with politicians and big business.

The entire thing is rigged by the lowlifes in their favor.

I am ready for this entire system to die, so it can be replaced after all these douche bags get some actual justice visited on them.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: oblvion

The upside: those ten years is that ten years inside for a cop, is twice as worse!

20 years more like, that's what's its going to feel like once the rest they are in with find out what he did.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well,
Since the guy already had a couple of handles on his jug, I suppose the cops thought it okay to beat the crap out of him. Nah! that's rubbish, those guys would probably beat the crap out of anyone, it really is institutional violence, just like we've seen the military doing to prisoners, Bully's in the playground. So many police doing the same childish thing. Those guys would never grow up being allowed to continue to do that.
Their job is to expedite the law and put the man in gaol, not beat the crap out of him because he was naughty enough to do a runner.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
I'm a massive fan of comeuppance - this cop is going to get it.

You dont kick anyone when they are tasered and down, you use batons on their legs or pepper spray if they DON'T drop with a taser.

That guy was clearly incapacitated and not even moving much less struggling. Quite right, if this video had not come up would anything have happened to rough cops?!

We can only hope he gets his comeuppance as I am a big fan of it as well... for anybody. I just sat with my mouth gaped open when I watched the video. I can not believe they all did what they did, but that guy getting out of his car to get in his licks was just way beyond ridiculous.

You are absolutely right in the money. It's two different types of justice. Those for us lowly peasants, and those for LEO's, politicians, the rich, celebrities, etc. it's enough to piss you off if you think on it for a minute or two.

originally posted by: oblvion

That is one of my biggest problems as well.

There are 2 justice systems. Regular guy gets in a fight, a couple punches get thrown, he is arrested immediately for assault. Cops beat without mercy a subdued guy, they get a paid vacation, more than likely nothing will happen to them, and even if it does, it will be many times less than any regular guy for the same exact actions.

There is only supposed to be one justice system, all treated equally under the law at all times.

We are seeing crony law enforcement, just like our BS rigged economy, and insider trading with politicians and big business.

The entire thing is rigged by the lowlifes in their favor.

I am ready for this entire system to die, so it can be replaced after all these douche bags get some actual justice visited on them.

I should have read yours before I made my other replies. You get the "Winner, winner, chicken dinner" award tonight. You said it much better than I did. I couldn't agree more of I tried to.

edit on 8/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

what a sick bunch of bullies....what could have possibly been running through those peanut brains to warrant kicking the guy like that after being tasered and lying motionless on the ground...i think no less than medieval justice is required ...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think the fact that another officer pulls up and immediately starts kicking the guy after he exits his car is a good indication that this type of thing is not foreign to them. He gets there and the suspect is subdued, on the ground not moving, and he attacks him...? Nobody could get me to believe that this guy hadn't done that before.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
I think the fact that another officer pulls up and immediately starts kicking the guy after he exits his car is a good indication that this type of thing is not foreign to them. He gets there and the suspect is subdued, on the ground not moving, and he attacks him...? Nobody could get me to believe that this guy hadn't done that before.

None of them seem to flinch when the kicks are put in.

Definitely seems to be common place with that force in that area i would say.

*on the radio* - Officer tasered suspect, suspect is down and im on top of him, i need another unit for kicks to the head asap

top topics

join