It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[MOON] Post your moon shots!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
heres my supermoon effort.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Taken less than 10 minutes ago, from my kitchen window‍.

(click for full size)

Used my Samsung WB500, with F/5, 1/2000 s, ISO-100 and 110 mm focal distance (equivalent to 624 for 35 mm)

Edit: I cropped the photo to avoid a large image with mostly black sky.

edit on 10/8/2014 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
I'll show you a picture of the sun-set in Greece... amazingly that ball can be covered by our moon ...

It's amazing that the sun and moon are at precisely the right distances for this to even happen... what are the astronomical odds?... not even mentioning the odds for a liquid water based planet

edit on 10-8-2014 by Jay Electronica because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay Electronica

Thats not a solar eclipse that's the sun sun over powering the CCD chip in his camera. Its not good for your camera and can permanently damage it.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Oh man! These are gorgeous! I went outside to take my pict, but so ashamed of it after seeing all yours.

I've starred them liberally! Excellent!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Unfortunately its been pretty over cast so I got mostly this

But then right when I was about to go to sleep I looked up and there she was August Super Moon

Taken with my 130mm ap. Telescope with 20mm (33x mag) and 10 mm (65x mag) eyepieces using (this is the embarrassing part) my HTC One cell phone camera. Can any one suggest a good camera/lenses to use with my scope?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90

Hi I sent you a PM did you get it?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Nope. My inbox is still completely empty
lol

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I'm amazed at the quality you can actually get with camera phones these days.

You can do a lot to improve things by adjusting the levels in an image and a little sharpening. Here's one of yours I've very quickly redone using photoshop, but the free GIMP software does the job just as well:

Probably overdone the sharpening, but you get the idea.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BGTM90
a reply to: wmd_2008

Nope. My inbox is still completely empty
lol

Look again white envelope at top of page?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey
This is the best I've gotten with processing my images. I'm not really good at it and don't really know what I'm doing so I usually don't even bother. I've never tried professional image processing soft. I wouldn't mind spending the money if I knew what I was doing.

I think I just messed with the colors. I don't think I used a sharpen tool. It was just using the preview program on my mac. so it was nothing to great. But thanks for the enhancements its looks GREAT!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

That second one is great - just needs a bit of sharpening.

GIMP is completely free and is as good as photoshop at basic image editing. I prefer photoshop because I know where everything is, but once you get used to where things are in GIMP it's very good.

It's very easy to overprocess images, and assume that what you see on your monitor is 100% accurate - something that looks great on your screen might look terrible on a different one.

Trial and error, and never over-write the original!!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: menneni

We already have an astrophotography thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes i know, but this is not a general astrophotography-thread, this is "MOON ONLY" -thread. This is not competing thread, rather more specific. Created for pleasure of moon-shots, and additional info about camera settings used.

As much as i love all astrophotography, wouldn't want to skim all those pages to find photos of moons, only. IMHO, in the field of astrophotography, our moon is maybe the least of interest what you could try to photograph.

As to additional why, i had an idea to compare photos taken from different timezones at the same time, AND photos taken with years apart of each other. i thought it would be cool to notice some difference in moon between the photos.

If you have taken shots of moon, please post them, with settings and gear-info if possible.

edit on 08America/Chicago88America/Chicago823 by menneni because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Really beautiful shots! You can really sense the ball-shape from those pics with the landscape visible!

Thanks for posting you all, much appreciated!

Beer for everyone!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is a 4 frame mosaic of April's total lunar eclipse I shot with a Canon XTi and 8" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain @ f/10 using 15 second exposures at ISO 400.

(No, I didn't correct for the mirrored orientation produced by my telescope).
edit on 11-8-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Some great photos guys, I only have a samsung s5 camera phone but will see if i can get a decent photo if it's clear tonight

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Dont the movement of the moon make 15 second exposure impossible ?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Dont the movement of the moon make 15 second exposure impossible ?

The LX200 is a robotic telescope, it tracked with the movement of the moon (clock frequency set to 57.9 as per the manual).

57.9 Hz Lunar rate Best rate for
tracking the Moon

www.meade.com...
The telescope was tracking the moon at the average lunar rate, not the normal sidereal rate for the telescope. Note the trailed star in the bottom left corner. The moon moved approximately 6 arseconds relative to the stars during the exposure, and this caused the star to trail. It isn't quite a perfectly straight line because I was using the Alt-Az configuration that evening in order to expedite the setup time and alt-az is usually sufficiently accurate for relatively brief exposures (~30 seconds or less) but with the classic LX200 periodic error correction is not available in alt-az.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: menneni

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: menneni

We already have an astrophotography thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

IMHO, in the field of astrophotography, our moon is maybe the least of interest what you could try to photograph.

Well I would say your 100% wrong it's the most photographed object because it's easy!

1/400th of a second f8 iso 400, Sony SLT A37 with a 300mm lens (heavy crop)

Moon & Venus Sony SLT A37 1/30th of a second (hand held) f5.6 280mm focal length iso 400.

wmd.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Thanks for the photo AND the experienced information, i was anxiously waiting for some real telescopes to show up!

BTW, LX200 has been on my "want to have" list for a looooong time. I got love for Meade!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join