It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There A Way to Bookmark Your Spot In A Thread?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hello, ATS Powers That Be,

Is there a way to bookmark your spot in a thread so that when you log onto ATS you can continue reading with needing to scroll through 100 pages first? I'm currently working my way through a thread with pages into the 300s and it is annoyingly time consuming to scroll forward from page one each time. I have a feeling this an existing function I am totally unaware of, so if you can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

smylee

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: smyleegrl

Bookmark the page in your browser?

Good to see you on the boards

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks Kandinsky!

The problem I am having is a read ATS on my laptop and my ipad, and I'm not sure if bookmarking in the browser would work. But I'll give it a try, its an excellent idea.

Gracias!

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The one "basic" feature of virtually all forums, which this site lacks, is the go to first unread post feature. ATS would be so much better if it only had that one feature.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: smyleegrl
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks Kandinsky!

The problem I am having is a read ATS on my laptop and my ipad, and I'm not sure if bookmarking in the browser would work. But I'll give it a try, its an excellent idea.

Gracias!

I primarily use my iPhone/iPad when browsing ATS. When I'm moving on to a new thread, but want to stay updated on the one I'm leaving, I add the current page to my reading list. Then, I come back and just have to scroll through a couple posts to get back on track.
But, keep in mind, once something in your reading list has been opened it is removed from the list. It's better than having to delete a ton of bookmarks.

ETA- Adding items to your reading list, as well as viewing are done the same way as Bookmarks, you just click the icon with the reading glasses instead. Just incase you didn't know.
edit on 8 9 2014 by MDpvc because: ETA

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Try this:

You see the button on a post that says "Link"?
You can copy and paste that little pin button url link (copy link location)into your browser address bar and then bookmark it that way.
It will bring you right to that post.
About the easiest way I am aware of doing it.

edit on 9-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I'm currently working my way through a thread with pages into the 300s and it is annoyingly time consuming to scroll forward from page one each time.
You can change the page number in the URL to go straight to the page you want. I know that's not what you want but in the meantime that's much faster and easier than advancing a few pages at a time.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Hey You !! How sweet it is to see you back !!!

As mentioned by Kandinsky, bookmarking thread pages on my browser (Firefox) normally works great off my laptop..

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Hi. What I do on My P.C. is, where you type in the WebPage addy, the address bar, there is a small icon, of what looks like a page, with a folded down corner in the left side of the address bar. Left click and hold that, and drag it onto your DeskTop, and let it go. That gives a link to the exact page you just did a drag/drop from! Works with my P.C. using Google Chrome for a Browser. Pretty sure it should work with notepads, or phones.(?) Maybe someone here can tell us if that will work on other systems, other than a P.C./LapTop.
Ok, just wanted to let ya know what I do, and it works for me.
Syx.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coach Knight
The one "basic" feature of virtually all forums, which this site lacks, is the go to first unread post feature. ATS would be so much better if it only had that one feature.

Exactamundo!

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You can easily find your last post(s) on just about any threads or the post(s) before your last post.

Next to the logout button, there's a circular icon with a down arrow, click on that and it'll bring up a list of tabs below, proceed to go to Profile..

Then you'll see 5 icons above your threads, click post(s)..

Now you can click on whatever thread you participated in and it'll take you directly to your post. No need for bookmarks.

Yeah ATS is a bit complicated to use, I especially wish they would make the it so that you know you have a message waiting for you, instead of having to check your inbox. I'd recommend changing the 'messages' tab color to a different whenever a person has unread messages, or something like that I don't know.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Just stop wherever you are...and save it to your FAVORITES. It will go right back to that spot next time.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions....I will try them all.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

The envelope Icon "lights up" when you have a new PM.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: smyleegrl
Hello, ATS Powers That Be,

Is there a way to bookmark your spot in a thread so that when you log onto ATS you can continue reading with needing to scroll through 100 pages first? I'm currently working my way through a thread with pages into the 300s and it is annoyingly time consuming to scroll forward from page one each time. I have a feeling this an existing function I am totally unaware of, so if you can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

smylee

Hi Smylee!

I had the very same question, recently! You stated it better. Here's mine: Bookmark your place in a thread?
You got better answers than I did.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer

The envelope Icon "lights up" when you have a new PM.

I've never seen it before, did you just change it? I went to check to see if I had any messages, and I did..ones that I never knew I had and even when I went to check it the envelope wasn't lit up. Just thought maybe the change was recent after I already had received the messages.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

Exactamundo!

Ditto! I second (or third) the improvement as soon as the work plan allows. It would be wonderful and I have often wished for one, especially since I seem to be drawn to the knowledge evolution often found in mega threads here. A page of bookmarks like our page of posts on profiles would be the icing on the cake someday! Thanks for considering it ATS and thank you too for all you already provide here. It rocks.

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It used to have a new message alert. I miss that. I don't always check each day.

posted on Apr, 9 2023 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Even though there are some good ideas here (and I appreciate the suggestions as I'm having the same frustration of having to scroll through pages until I figure out where I last read), I totally agree with you. This is a desperately needed function on a site as huge as this one.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 07:52 AM
link   

you could also keep a record of your last post via the time stamp

and then just ctrl +F

"posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:15 PM "

but I guess you'd need to record the page you posted on as well
edit on 10-4-2023 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join