It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirited75
that is a poor juvenile example of a similar type of event.

Did you read the juvenile comment I was responding to??? That's exactly what they said!

to answer your question, the pastor in this situation is not
going to hold funeral services and bury the gay guy.

find me an example of a pastor not holding a funeral for a liar or a murderer.
otherwise you are just being silly.

I KNOW it's silly. The pastor's position is that the gay guy is a sinner. So he's not going to hold his service (burial was not included, just the funeral). If he won't bury someone because they are a sinner, then he wouldn't bury liars, divorced people, etc.
edit on 8/11/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Yopu wouldn't have the first clue what gay marriage is buddy.

I probably know about as much about gay marriage as you do about Christianity.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck
I offered a step towards balance and compromise...
let the religious follow their religions if they chose.
if they don't want to include birth control within their insurance plans fine
if they don't want officiate funerals for dead gay people fine
if they don't want to make wedding cakes find!!

but it should be made clear for all!!
signs on doors
notices in advertising
ect.

someone rejected the idea!!

I got a feeling that this family would have been spared a ton of pain if the church had just been up front as to their policies to begin with!

edit on 11-8-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Are you sure this preacher isn't from westborough babtist church?

Good discussion, s&f

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Yopu wouldn't have the first clue what gay marriage is buddy.

I probably know about as much about gay marriage as you do about Christianity.

You really believe that?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

He actually refused to give last rights and bury a dead man.

Are you privy to information the rest of us aren't?

Are you lying?

Or do you just not know what last rites are?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Sympathies for the family as that must have been distressing, but aside from that I don't see any problem with the pastor denying the service over his beliefs, just the timing.
I don't believe in any gods but you won't see me campaigning that people who do should change their beliefs to catch up with modern society. I prefer to just disregard such zealots as crazies who I am free to avoid if I wish.

When I die, it'll be a non-religious/spiritual service at the crematorium, then £1000 behind the bar for the wake afterwards. The only spirits I expect at my funeral are whisky, Sambuca, Vodka, Tequilla...

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Last rites:

religious rites performed for the dying or the dead.

Rites:

ceremonial act: a solemn ceremony or procedure customary to a community, especially a religious group

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18268496]BasementWarriorKryptonite

You really believe that?

That depends on whether or not you'd be willing to discuss it over a beer

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

a reply to: ChaosComplex

I should've said self-discipline, but I doubt that would've effected the way you took my comment. I'm a hateful, bigoted, gay bashing hypocrite in your mind, and nothing short of getting gay married myself will ever change that.

Well, it is usually a good idea to say what you mean and leave little to be inferred by the reader, otherwise assumptions must be made. Also, I said nothing of your character in terms of hateful, bigoted, gay bashing, hypocrite...don't be so sensitive. I still don't see how self discipline is any part of the answer, unless you are implying that tolerance for people's lifestyles can be acheived through self-discipline. Then I might agree.

Otherwise I agree with the poster who simplified it as "Live and let live"

Pretty sure the same poster said he wondered why this funeral was going to be held in a church in the first place, and not some awesome beach, garden, or other beautiful place. I couldn't agree with that more. This thread was more about the timing of this, as the family was given less than 24 hours notice that the funeral was not being allowed.

bone do you know how to tell that you won an argument with a progressive liberal?
they call you a racist, bigoted, sexist, red neck hillbilly bible thumping gun nut. Oh i forgot to add homophobic.

the pastor said no he will not bury the guys body.

lets make a federal case out of it?

Federal case? How about just present it as an example of people being douches for no real reason other than "Duurr My religion says I can't do that"

Fear is a powerful emotion, it's just a shame that so many religions operate on principles of fear.

I'm a redneck...who has a lot of guns, big and small...I believe racial stereotypes exist for a reason...and while I believe men and women are equal, I do think that there are clear distinctions between the capabilities of the sexes. What does that do to your compartmentalized thought process?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex
I'm a redneck...who has a lot of guns, big and small...I believe racial stereotypes exist for a reason...and while I believe men and women are equal, I do think that there are clear distinctions between the capabilities of the sexes.

Sounds like a "liberal progressive", to me! LOL

Or maybe that's just something people throw out there when their argument fails completely. Name calling. The last refuge of someone void of a valid argument.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

I got a feeling that this family would have been spared a ton of pain if the church had just been up front as to their policies to begin with!

I feel that at least a few people in that crowd WERE spared a lot of pain.

I was 22 when my brother was shot 5 times in his face by his best friend who claimed a demon made him do it. I was a diehard atheist at the time who despised religion and so was my brother. I remember sitting there listening to this guy tell us how much my brother loved Jesus and how he was going to be waiting for us in heaven because he was a good little Christian...

I wanted to get up and scream BULLS**T!!! at the top of my lungs, both to the preacher and my family. I felt like me and his friends were the only people in the room who knew my brother at all.

I honestly would have rathered the preacher cancel the ceremony upon finding that my brother was a heathen who hated the church then having him stand there and BS us all. There was nothing comforting about that experience.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

He actually refused to give last rights and bury a dead man.

Are you privy to information the rest of us aren't?

Are you lying?

I see what you're saying. I guess "Last Rites" are something a little different and are for Catholics. I'm not religious so I guess I'm using the wrong terminology. But I think you know what I'm saying. He refused to host the burial and pray for him or whatever it is that they do at a Christian funeral. Sorry for the error, but it's hardly much of a difference. Or is there something else about my argument that you don't approve of??

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

the pastor said no he will not bury the guys body.

lets make a federal case out of it?

Yet another example of how Christians Lie. "We hate the Sin not the Sinner." BullSh*t!!! If that was true you'd still bury him, since he's not Gay anymore. He is DEAD. So much for that Love and Forgiveness thing, huh?

Typical....

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

he didn't harm the dead guy one bit either.
he just punished the family with a ton of stress at a time when they were already stressed to the max probably.. for the "sins" of the dead.

I did a little reading and it kind of sounds like he didn't decide not to do it until members of the congregation started calling him about it. So I don't think there was any set policy in place to alert the family that there would be a problem.
The good news it that the funeral ended up going well at least.

and well after reading about this story and the church itself a little bit I got to say if the comments sections is any indication they are getting quite a backlash from this!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I don't know the whole situation, and I am pretty much anti-religion. But I will offer this. Whatever restrictions on ceremony and participation at the church should be made public up front. However...considering they are a private group (which I also don't like...meaning private groups), they should be allowed to have any rules and serve or not serve anyone they want. I believe the same for businesses. If you are such a stupid business owner and which to exclude people...for any reason...you should be allowed, and be allowed to fail at your business.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
I did a little reading and it kind of sounds like he didn't decide not to do it until members of the congregation started calling him about it. So I don't think there was any set policy in place to alert the family that there would be a problem.
The good news it that the funeral ended up going well at least.

Yah, I got that same impression. What a lovely bunch of people. How sad.

and well after reading about this story and the church itself a little bit I got to say if the comments sections is any indication they are getting quite a backlash from this!

Good. That's exactly what they deserve too. They wonder why so many people are no longer attending church or talking sh*t about religion nowadays. Well, this is one reason right here. Nobody to blame but themselves. Doesn't it even say in their own book that we reap what we sow???

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
A couple people complained.

I wonder what response he would have gotten if he asked the entire congregation.

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
A couple people complained.

I wonder what response he would have gotten if he asked the entire congregation.

Just curious.

Not that it should actually matter what other people thought about it anyway, but I would hope they would have been fine with it since it doesn't even involve them for one and two it's just the right thing to do. But who knows. Everyone is so divided today that it's hard to know what people are thinking. Or even if they have the ability to think for themselves anymore.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Jesus himself reached out to Mathew who was a tax collector and despised by everyone and seen as an outcast. Even the people around him said "o dont talk to that guy he is one of "them". And Jesus went to him and said "hey man come with me i think your ok". So why shouldn't we follow his actions and teachings and reach to anyone and everyone and show them that "hey I love you anyway".

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join