It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
cases like this should be cited everytime a " Christian " whines that they are being " persecuted "

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

LOL. the pastor choose to not bury the guy because he was gay.

you cannot persecute a deceased person or can you in the mind of a progressive liberal???

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirited75
a reply to: ignorant_ape

LOL. the pastor choose to not bury the guy because he was gay.

you cannot persecute a deceased person or can you in the mind of a progressive liberal???

Seems to me that the religious can find a way to persecute anyone or anything.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
Start having murderer marriages and liar marriages and I'm sure you'll run into the same kind of opposition you're seeing now.

So, pastors won't hold funerals for liars who are married?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

I should've said self-discipline, but I doubt that would've effected the way you took my comment. I'm a hateful, bigoted, gay bashing hypocrite in your mind, and nothing short of getting gay married myself will ever change that.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

it is not persecuting if it goes against the beliefs
of the church and the pastor says he does not want to do it.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Start having murderer marriages and liar marriages and I'm sure you'll run into the same kind of opposition you're seeing now.

that is a poor juvenile example of a similar type of event.

to answer your question, the pastor in this situation is not
going to hold funeral services and bury the gay guy.

find me an example of a pastor not holding a funeral for a liar or a murderer.
otherwise you are just being silly.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

a reply to: ChaosComplex

I should've said self-discipline, but I doubt that would've effected the way you took my comment. I'm a hateful, bigoted, gay bashing hypocrite in your mind, and nothing short of getting gay married myself will ever change that.

bone do you know how to tell that you won an argument with a progressive liberal?
they call you a racist, bigoted, sexist, red neck hillbilly bible thumping gun nut. Oh i forgot to add homophobic.

the pastor said no he will not bury the guys body.

lets make a federal case out of it?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
the religious businesses and churches should be required to post a sign on their doors telling all that they plan to deny services, health care benefits, ect so that people who would be affected won't bother them!!

Unless the pastor made sure that the family was well aware that he would not officiate a funeral if the person was gay then he is in the wrong and the family in my opinion has a case against the church!

did family member travel across the country for this funeral? did the funeral have to be postponed because 24 hours wasn't sufficient time to make new arrangements? did it cause anyone extra expense??

I mean it sounds like this family attended this church on a regular basis church policies on this matter should have been made clear to them well before 24 hours before the funeral! it should be made clear to the whole congregation!
and I can either assume that it wasn't or the family was trying to sneak one by them! and if they were doing that why would they have listed the "husband" in the obituary??

the pastor agreed to do the funeral and unless he made it clear that he would not do it if the person was gay then he had an obligation to do it!!
what he did was cruel!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
the religious businesses and churches should be required to post a sign on their doors telling all that they plan to deny services, health care benefits, ect so that people who would be affected won't bother them!!

start your own church honey and then you can tell it what it
should and should not be required to do or not do.

you can even offer comprehensive insurance for all your church members.

with full health care benefits, and services for every kind of
imaginable relationship under the sun.

the pastor refused to bury the body of the deceased gay guy.

lets make a federal case out of it!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: spirited75
....giving the family 24 hours notice that he decided that he wasn't going to do what he agreed to do!!!

your religion does not give you the right to be cruel and play with people's lives and emotions! they should be required to state their policies up front so we all will know! since well no one likes surprises especially grieving family members trying to bury their dead loved ones!!

unless the pastor made it clear that he would not bury a gay person before the funeral arrangements were made between him and the family members
he should have did what he agreed to do!

a sign on their doors would prevent such surprises from popping up in the future!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Pastors don't know if someone is a liar. If it ever becomes a glorified lifestyle choice where people are proud of their lying and running around holding up rainbows to identify themselves as proud liars, and are marrying other proud liars, then no they won't.

Christians aren't singling out homosexuality, homosexuals are.

Gay marriage is pretty much the opposite of being saved. When you're saved you vow to turn away from your sin, when you're gay married you vow to embrace it.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

another way to put it is that over half the congregation are probably proud little liars and no pastor is willing to alienate half their congregation. it might put a financial burden on the church and put his paycheck at risk.

what about the divorced?? that is harder to hide. every divorced person who remarries is committing the same sin.. are they willing to deny them a funeral also?

and by the way
funerals are not really for the benefit of the deceased but are for the benefit of the loved ones left behind. to allow them a last goodbye and to provide them with comfort in their time of loss.
what this pastor did was cruel in my book

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: WanDash

3. Voted for Obama ...

why did that need to be in your list of sins?
You seem to be listing the ten commandments, can't see where voting for obama fits in there.
I agree with everything you said but #3

don't you know?...everything bad can be traced to Obama, all else is up for discussion.....that's the critical-thinking skills of some of the member here.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You're completely missing the point. No one stands up to be counted as a liar. No one declares "I am a liar, I was born a liar, and I will die a liar. Forget what the Bible says about lying and or how you feel about lying and grant me all of my wishes anyway or I'll sue your face off because you're a hateful bigot who mistreats liars."

edit on 11-8-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75
no they brag about how much money they saved from their income taxes by manipulating the numbers making it look like they made less!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Pastors don't know if someone is a liar. If it ever becomes a glorified lifestyle choice where people are proud of their lying and running around holding up rainbows to identify themselves as proud liars, and are marrying other proud liars, then no they won't.

Christians aren't singling out homosexuality, homosexuals are.

Gay marriage is pretty much the opposite of being saved. When you're saved you vow to turn away from your sin, when you're gay married you vow to embrace it.

Yopu wouldn't have the first clue what gay marriage is buddy.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

start your own church honey and then you can tell it what it
should and should not be required to do or not do.

It wouldn't be any more or less psychotic than the one you are a part of - thanks for the idea. We could get tax-exempt status just for being hateful arseholes to everyone else just like the current bunch of religions.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

it is not persecuting if it goes against the beliefs
of the church and the pastor says he does not want to do it.

It's my belief that christianity and in fact all religion should be destroyed. In the process of the destruction, I will spount that very same crap - it's not persecution because it's my belief.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply, since it's all going to fall on deaf ears, but eh...

Religion is not what's wrong, it's people. You have extremists on every side of every ideology on this planet. Finding a balance is what creates peace, not blanket-genocide-ing things you don't agree with. With your mindset, if children picking their nose offended you, you would cut off all their fingers and toes....or should we just get rid of children altogether?

It's far more effective to provide structure, inculcate that structure, and eventually it will permeate the entire society. There are plenty of people out there now, willing to defend their fragile construct of reality with little or no rational thought.

The problem however....is freedom prevents us from conforming to any single set of beliefs (structure). In order to find peace, we would all have to agree on a structure. That's never going to happen in a free society. So all of this debate is just hot air, allowing you to feel good as you mock religion; just one of many ideologies subject to extremism.

If we were really concerned about living moral lives, we would be more concerned about our neighbors then ourselves. The Truth is, neither Theist, Atheist, nor Agnostic has a desire to compromise on their beliefs to create a loving environment for all of us. It's much more fun to take cheap shots at each others ideologies, sitting on our high horses.

So by all means, keep vexing one another... it's worked out so well for us so far...

So, what do you call this? Are you really claiming freedom is the reason so many religious types have such a strong disdain for Gay people? How would "structure" and taking away freedom, create peace? This is just backwards thinking.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join