It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am a Christian and I would not have a problem with the gay man's funeral being held at my church - under one condition. That condition is that the people who attend the funeral (the man's friends) would be respectful of the church and the other attendees. I say that because if the man had a lot of friends that were militant gay activists I wouldn't want them anywhere near my church just because they might try to make the event into a protest of some kind. I am perfectly happy to let other people live their lives however they choose provided they grant me the same privilege.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex

Churches can have a family dynamic all their own, something that a funeral home is unlikely to offer.

Very true, and I'm sure that played a major role in the Pastor's decision. I remember listening to the preacher at my little brother's funeral and wondering if there was a mix up or something because the guy he was describing was nothing like the guy in the casket.

Maybe this preacher just didn't want to stand in front of that family and God and lie through his teeth like the one at my brother's funeral.

edit on 9-8-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

I rest my case as to why I no longer want to claim to be a christian.

Modern day chritiananity doesnt come close to what I grew up withg.

I identify more with the muslims I went thgrough 9/11 with.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: Daedalus

Religion is not nonsense. It can actually be a very power and positive force in a person's life. Unfortunately, some people take their beliefs to extremes.

Amen to that! and balls to the mad pasta. I wonder where he got the blasphemous from..that's a legal word innit?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
How can one still be gay when they're dead?

Its not like he's being gay in the coffin, right?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

As a Floridian I consider Tampa the armpit of Florida. Scientology is big there but so are mega churches. My wife's grandmother died and we went to her funeral at one of them many months later after her sorrows were gone I told her that when I die I hope like hell she never has my funeral in a place like that. The amount spent on one of those places I can only surmise that if there is a god that he/she/it must consider such a sighte a sin.
edit on 9-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
All I can say that if there is a heaven and a hell, I would rather go to hell than to heaven, if it means in heaven that preacher will be my neighbour, at least in hell I will be as far away as possible from those hypocritical idiots..... On the other hand, they might all end up in hell, and then i am screwed....

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Whom says that Jesus was agaisnt the Gays? i believe that the NeoCons need to reread there bibles.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agent_USA_Supporter

Whom says that Jesus was agaisnt the Gays? i believe that the NeoCons need to reread there bibles.

Exactly, in fact by using the word 'Blasphemous' against the dead person, could actually mean the pastor himself being Blasphemous in law, since that word is a limitation of freedom of speech by default. The Pastor could end up on charges if some lawyer latches on to it. The pastor could end up eating pasta in the poky

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Nope, he'll just lose his tax exempt status for not running an NWO approved Church.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex
How can this 'man of god' look at himself in the mirror, knowing he put so much grief and strain on this family in a time when all they needed was a little compassion?

hmmmpff.

I thought the same, or nearly the same, whilst sitting in 8-9 grade catechism classes years back.

pastor came into our class 'preaching' about morals, values, righteousness and the like....

only to, later that night, early the next morning get pulled over for DUI....

even though I'd been questionig things about my beliefs, the church, it's views and the wHole Lot prior to that.

it really was kinda the last straw, for me.

I realize that all 'mankind' is/are prone to fault and all that, but.... it just seemed so damn hypocritical, at the time.

nah.... you can have it ....

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is a hard one for me. I support gay rights. But I also support church rights. I know I know. Everyone hates me because I am not extreme in either direction. My gay friends say how can i support hypocrites. My church friends say how can i support sinners. I tell them all the attacks of both sides sound the same to me. Just let everyone believe and do what they want as long as it does not directly affect you in a way that causes bodily harm.

This was not a funeral home. This was a church. While I do not personally agree with the church. It is their right to deny this family the use of the church for something they disagree with. There are plenty of funeral homes and probably other churches that would allow the funeral. While its a shame their first choice was denied to them. They have other choices. So besides the late decision of the church, that was a douche move to do it right before the start of the funeral, I see this as a non issue.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Having followed things like this issue with some interest the following can be stated:

If there is a lawsuit, the church will get off with a warning and a small fine, having to return the money, a slap on the hand and the case will resolve like that. This really is not an issue or really news worthy, or we should consider it something to be concerned about. And here is how I came to that conclusion.

Churches in the USA are protected by law; they are one of the very few organizations that have full protection and some exclusion from the laws of the USA. It is called the pastor exclusion. No pastor, minister or official of any church or religious organization can be forced to violate their faith. That means if a church does not want to deal with gay people, they are by the protection of the law, can discriminate on those grounds, and there is nothing anyone can do.

A church, or place of worship, is governed by its boards, the religious organization it belongs to and the people who attend. If that family chooses to go elsewhere to a church that is more accommodating and take others with them, then that church could end up on the end of having to close or sell off its assets.

The ultimate sad part of this entire story is not that a church refused to give funeral rights to a gay man, but it used religion as an excuse to put a wedge and split people, thus harming all those who do have faith. Every time a minister or a person of faith, turns around and commits a crime, or does an action like this it drives people away from their beliefs, and that is the ultimate shame and sin. That this minister, where a family and loved ones are grieving, would find no compassion, no shred of human decency to give comfort and aid to those grieving or afflicted. And many churches and places of worship wonder why they are losing their congregation and the number of people attending, this very well be one of the reasons why. While I can understand both points of view, the reality is that ultimately the minister was in the wrong and one hopes that in the end, when he has to sit and look back at his life, that he has to answer for that decision.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

This is the perfect example of religious hypocrisy! Shame on them, being judgmental goes against leading a Christ like life of acceptance, forgiving and loving your fellow man.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Whenever I hear something like this, I ask myself, "Would he turn away ALL sinners"? Is that what church is about? Turning away sinners or welcoming sinners? I thought EVERYONE has sinned and come short of the glory of God... I thought the church was the PLACE for sinners! I remember MANY sermons on opening the doors to sinners. WTF happened to to that?

Why is homosexuality the ONLY sin that churches seem to shun? They forgive liars, fornicators, heathens, etc, but this ONE sin is just too much for them to take. It's infuriating.

Pastor T.W. Jenkins told WFLA by phone that the church doesn't support gay marriage.

Read more: www.wesh.com...

Are we to assume, then, that they support lying? Murdering? Stealing? Adulterers? Coveters? Divorced people? These people are insane.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
About ten years ago a very good freind of my family died of AIDS. He was was HIV positive for nearly fifteen years was taking a huge cocktail of drugs and lived life to fullest. Then one day he caught a cold, a few days later pneumonia went into the hospital and died that night. He was the type of guy that everyone loved to be around. Even sad people that dislike Gay's liked him. To say he was flamboyant cant even come close to describe him. He was flame on 24/7 and didn't have an enemy in the world. He was buried in a Catholic Church with a Mass. He was cremated and interned next to his mother. The priest had known him for his whole life and new perfectly well of his lifestyle. He didn't have a problem with it nor did any one that belonged to the church. This was in his small home town in south Lousiana. Im catholic and have some issues with some church teachings but was so glad that his boyhood church buried one of their own no matter how he lived. Thanks for making me remember my friend.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spader
Thanks for making me remember my friend.

I hope that is a good thing, I've lost quite a few friends to things out of my control...it can be truly devastating.

From your short description it sounds like your friend was a great person, and it also sounds like his church could teach some people a thing or two about how to treat a person with respect and dignity.

To those we've lost along the way

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Pastors are only human there are good ones and there are bad ones this thread seems to be about a bad one but here is an example of a good one.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

You support gay rights but......

Sorry, but you do not support gay rights. The only way your argument would hold any weight would be if that preacher treated divorced people the same. I am not bible expert but I do believe the bible calls for divorced women to be ousted too.

I can only hope there really is a judgement/hell so this preacher will get what he deserves.
edit on 9-8-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Another point that I agree with, 100%.

However, I live in the south, specifically in a borderline backwoods area of the swamps in Florida. Out of respect I have attended church with quite a few different groups of friends and family, at many different churches (some gatherings taking place in community centers or even parks). You'll be hard pressed to find a pastor preaching tolerance and understanding like that anywhere around here.

There are many examples of more 'modern' thinking emerging within the religious community, but the progress is slow enough to make watching the grass grow seem high-paced.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join