It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian bombers penetrated U.S. airspace

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 2wheelvet

There is no violation of Russian (or Chinese for that matter), or US airspace by either side. They both get into ADIZ areas, but they don't get into the actual airspace belonging to that country. It's all to trigger a response so they can record frequencies and reaction times.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There is no violation of Russian (or Chinese for that matter), or US airspace by either side. They both get into ADIZ areas, but they don't get into the actual airspace belonging to that country. It's all to trigger a response so they can record frequencies and reaction times.

The plane, a Boeing RC-135, was denied permission to pass over Swedish airspace, but the pilots chose to disregard the refusal.

The plane crossed Gotland, passing over the town of Visby, and then moved south alongside the island of Öland.

On Thursday a source to the Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) newspaper revealed that the plane was an American reconnaissance aircraft.

The paper reported that the plane was being chased across the Baltic Sea by a Russian aircraft that had flown up from the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad.

U.S. Aircraft Violates Airspace

The drone flights, which flagrantly violate Syrian air space, include a “good number” of both military and US intelligence drones, according to US defense officials.

U.S. Violates Airspace again..

And yet another

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Not entirely sure how you got Syria from "Russia, China, or US".

As for the Swiss incident the choice was risk all the crew on board (14-20 or more), or upset them until the State Department could apologize. The aircraft was in international airspace st the entire time up until it was chased away.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wasn't there an incident in the 1960's where a RB47 was shot up by Russian MiGs and made an emergency landing in the UK? I don't remember the details but I think it was somewhere east of Sweden. The MiGs were able to make only one gun run due to the speed differential and only damaged the RB but didn't knock it down.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

There were a number of incidents, several resulting in the loss of aircraft and crews. The RB-47 suffered damage to the right wing I believe and was able to recover. There was an RC-130 that recently had horrific gun camera images come out that was lost with all hands, several RB-50s, an RB-57 (at least one), a Swiss C-47, and the rescue plane was shot up....

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I think that I do remember something about the RB50. Wasn't it off the coast of China in the 1950's? I know there was several U2's, one flown by Gary Powers and the other by Carlos Anderson over Cuba. We lost several OV1 and RV1's in the Southeast Asia Operational Area in the 1960 & 70's. I don't know the numbers or the details of those loses only rumors.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

There was one off China, IIRC two off Russia. Most of them were off Russia, but several U-2s flown by the RTAF were shot down or lost over China.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"Russian bombers penetrated U.S. airspace" --- Giggedy?

But seriously, they do this to us (UK) all the time.. I've even heard tales of the pilots exchanging funny gestures out of the windows at each other.

Keeps everyone on their toes don't you think?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

They used to show each other centerfolds.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Yeah, I remember reading that too, it's kinda comforting in a way to see that they have a sense of humour, despite the situation.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Hell I trusted those guys to handle any situation a lot more than I did anyone in Washington. They had too much respect for each other to do something dumb.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Seems to me that 'they' are playing games.

Old school Cold War games it seems.

The Russian Bear wants to play peek a boo...

Or the American media wants to continue to demonize Russia so that we have two boogie men - Russia and ISIS, to scare the sheeple of the USA.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I always wondered, if the time came, given how close the world has become, how sick of war everyone is, if the soldiers would just lay down their arms when called to war.

The decisions are made my a handful of people from small rooms in various cities, maybe the time has come where the people fighting decide what is right and wrong.

I thank modern technology, like the internet for that, prior to modern communication, everyone, for the most part, kept to themselves (speaking countries, not individuals).

Now everyone is realising, we're not so different, why should I kill another man just because some guy in a suit demands it... is that just wishful thinking on my part?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I remember several SR71 flights over China without loss. They discovered a major famine that killed 10 million Chinese. Shortly after reading these reports someone said we wouldn't invade North Vietnam in fear of Chinese intervention...with what? Not to long after that, Nixon started B52 bombing of the Hanoi and Hai Fong in December 1972.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

One SR came home with what appeared to be shrapnel damage on one engine, but it was never confirmed if it was. If it was that was the only one ever damaged.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I've heard that a SR71 diverted to Japan years ago. I wonder if this is the case that you are referring. I was under the impression that Habu routinely operated from Guam so landing in Japan must have been very urgent with Guam so close relatively speaking.

edit on 13-8-2014 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It might be. I don't remember if they landed somewhere else or not.

They were flying out of Okinawa though, not Guam.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
A US identification zone is NOT the same as US airspace. A penetration of airspace may happen occasionally by accident, but never 16 times in 10 days. It would never have been tolerated, US QRA would have shot them down. Stupid, fear mongering journalism at work

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Sorry, you are right it's just my mind is getting old ...lol.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
An RB 47 used to fly out of Yakota AFB, Japan and often into North Korean airspace in the 1960s. Though this type of flying is low key and confidential...it must have really pissed off the North Koreans who eventually sent a Mig fighter to attack this aircraft and shot the tail out of it. THis plane made it back to Japan where it was scrapped and the flights put on hold.

Eventually this replacement aircraft made it's way to Japan to continue whatever flights were programmed or scheduled to be flown.

An RB 57F.

en.wikipedia.org.../File:USAF_WB-57F_In_Flight.jp

I have seen this aircraft fly when in Japan. It takes off on a very short run to get airborne and can fly incredibly slow. I was astonished to see one fly over the movie theater where I was standing in line waiting for a ticket. I swear it could fly slower than I could ride my bicycle as a teenager back in those years. It turned one wing up and the other down and it looked like the wing was reaching down into the street near where I was standing. This same wing began to flutter as it lost lift underneath it grasping desperately for air. I knew then it was about to crash sliding into the street and kill us all. To my utter astonishment..the pilot gunned the engine and the plane quickly came around as if it was literally standing on one wing..and landed on the runway.

I stood there like an idiot..frozen at what I had just seen. I was like an actor in a Stephen Spielburg movie..standing there frozen with my mouth hanging open...speechless at to what I had just born witness. I remember it like yesterday. I have never seen another plane since do what that one had done. So big..so massive and yet could fly so slow.

I think the last of these are relegated to NASA today. Think again if you believe NASA only uses these for weather Recon.

Why would NASA ever need one with a low visibility paint scheme..for weather??

I've seen how the U2's are set up. They have modules of different equipment packages which can be installed to mission orders and requirements. A module which can be changed out and fits flush with the body of the aircraft. You just change out the various modules.There are common power umbilical connections on the bulkheads. You just have your various electronic packages/modules powered by this common umbilical connection. They are Tailor made electronics packages. You just change the custom electronic packages according to the mission requirements. The aircraft is only a package delivery system. The difference today is that much of the information's is transmitted and coded in real time ..before the aircraft lands back at base. No reason to believe this RB 57F/WB57F is set up any different.

I ran into a fellow who was with this recon squadron in Japan when I was in the Air Force. He told me that these pilots were specially trained and qualified for this aircraft and could not fly if they had so much as a cold.
They also wore the astronaut suits with portable airconditioners until the got in the cockpit until hooked up to the airplane system and the plane cranked up.

But yes...in case you do not know the status of our spying...we spy on our friends as well as our enemies..always have and always will be so. It also means that we have spied on our own people for a long time now...just like was the case in Ancient Rome. It was no surprise to me when this news broke that our government was spying on us and also on allied nations.

The Pueblo Incident in the 1960a is an example of the spying which had been going on for a long time out of Japan and other places. We just got caught there is all. The Koreans just got fed up with it and were tired of us getting away with it for so many years.

Back when the Pueblo incident happened ..the nuclear carrier Enterprise was in Japan on a tour and the Japanese were very upset by the presence of this ship and they were protesting for several days outside the gates of the Navy Base. Suddenly overnight the carrier pulled out and went to sea in response to the Pueblo Incident. I still remember that how suddenly the ship pulled out of Japan. They must have had a bunch of people who missed the ship and had to fly out on the COD aircraft...she pulled out so suddenly.

As to the Russian bombers ..this is a cat and mouse game as Zaphod aptly states. We do this as well to check out a nation response ..response times and techniques.

This is done with aircraft, ships as well as submarines.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom

edit on 31-8-2014 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join